AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Twilight City Fracture - Exist EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 7
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Twilight City Fracture - Exist EP

Reviewed by: Chris Collum (02/10/10)
Twilight City Fracture Exist EP
Record Label: Self-released
Release Date: November 7, 2009

This was a user review published several years prior to my becoming staff.

New Jersey's Twilight City Fracture are an undiscovered, unsigned band largely unknown outside of their local music scene. Coming out of a scene that is generally well-known for its past spawning of post-hardcore heroes, the band has significantly progressed past their musical origins to become an interesting amalgamation of shoegaze, pop sensibilites, Killers-esque vocals, and occasional moments that channel their post-hardcore roots. Musically, their work points to influences by the likes of My Bloody Valentine and The Jesus and Mary Chain, as well as local heroes Thursday, and possibly pop superstars Coldplay, just without the piano. Their singer, Jason Enger, does an excellent job on his debut record behind the mic, often sounding like a Hot Fuss-era Brandon Flowers or Chris Martin of the aforementioned Coldplay.

The five songs on Exist are largely driven by guitarists Matthew Quigley and Jason Enger's noodling, reverb-drenched playing. This gives the songs an atmospheric quality not often found except in bands of a more established caliber. Drummer John Sarantinoudis and bassist Christian Casteel work together to keep the songs moving, and as previously mentioned, Enger is a solid vocalist with a suprisingly large variation in timbre for a relatively amateur singer.

While the band does flex its creative muscles in their somewhat innovative sound, the effect does wear off after a little bit. Only five songs and about eighteen minutes long, Exist should leave the listener wanting more of the band. I, however, personally think that more songs without some variation of style would actually drag down the EP. In summation, Exist is a good, short introduction to the band and their innovation, but before they head back to the studio to record a full-length, I would recommend exploring some variation of style. The sound they have going for them is good, but at this point, it's perhaps best in small doses.

Another sore point for the band at the moment is the lyrics, which are not up to par with the band's musical ability. The lyrics on the bridge of "Edward" somewhat detract from what is otherwise an awesome musical moment. However, while not generally stellar, the band's lyrics otherwise remain neutral enough that they rarely detract from the listening experience, but they certainly don't add to it.

Whether Twilight City Fracture garner any sort of mainstream success remains to be seen, but they certainly deserve a hell of a lot more attention than most of the glitzy shmitzy crap that seems to be so popular with them darn kids today. But before they are really ready for a breakthrough, they need to branch out a little bit more musically and work on their lyrics. Otherwise, kudos to this New Jersey quartet. They just might have something here.

This EP is available on iTunes and AmazonMP3.

Recommended If You LikeThe Killers without the synth; reverb; Coldplay without the piano; shoegaze; green and purple people on hot air balloons; discovering a damn good band no one's heard of before your friends do; more reverb.

Track Listing1. Edward*
2. Northeast*
3. Legend on Louisiana
4. Organization for the Organized
5. Snow the Patient*
*=Choice cuts

Check out Twilight City Fracture on Myspace.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5.
03:55 PM on 02/22/10
prettyinpink05
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
awesome review; great jersey band if you've never heard them before. i definitely think they will be the next up and coming jersey band if given the chance

:D
02:57 PM on 02/23/10
Chris Collum
No dumbass dove in my dumbass brain
User Info.
awesome review; great jersey band if you've never heard them before. i definitely think they will be the next up and coming jersey band if given the chance

:D
I certainly hope so.
03:13 AM on 02/26/10
Co and Ca
What are you doing here?
User Info.
twilight?!?! fat 12 year old girls are freaking out!
12:19 PM on 02/28/10
Chris Collum
No dumbass dove in my dumbass brain
User Info.
twilight?!?! fat 12 year old girls are freaking out!
Yeah I know right?
That and the fact that their first song is called 'Edward' really scared me at first haha...
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests