Password

Album Review

Fang Island - Fang Island Album Cover

Fang Island - Fang Island

Reviewed by
Fang IslandFang Island
Release Date: February 23, 2010
Record Label: Sargent House
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
The cold weather has been bearing down against us across the nation. There have been abnormal amounts of snow reaching even more abnormal regions. Blizzards across the North are trapping people in their homes. They are slowly going mad from cabin fever and over-watched DVD collections of their once favorite shows.

For all of us suffering the cold climates, there is hope in the form of an early summer. It's bright. It contains blistering guitar riffs. It has the power to completely defrost your senses like that Campbell's Soup commercial where the snowman turns out to be a kid after he eats his hot soup. Remember how cool that was?!

Anyway, that's what Fang Island does with their self-titled. It's hard not to be infected by the single "Daisy," or how opening static brings about an image of fireworks on the fourth day of July on "Dreams of Dreams." It's a constant feeling that last throughout the motions of "Life Coach" to "The Illinois." Then there's the test. After being bombarded with glowing waves of frequency for seven tracks, "Davy Crockett" builds the listener to more of the same excitement. Instead of being immersed in the song, the track slowly grows a mood around the senses. It's almost like the band realized they needed to give their listeners a rest, but not long enough to miss the binge of bright timbre.

It's hard not to say that Fang Island is much of the same thing morphed in different forms for 30 minutes, because it is. Even "Dorian" feels like almost two minutes of an unnecessary bookend placed on the album, only to be a relaxer after the wild party. But chances are that listeners will want to relive this rager over and over again. I have for a week now. It's not going to end anytime soon.

Track Listing1. Dreams of Dreams*
2. Careful Crossers
3. Daisy*
4. Life Coach*
5. Sideswiper
6. The Illinois*
7. Treeton
8. Davy Crockett
9. Welcome Wagon
10. Dorian

*key tracks

Recommended If You LikeMan Man's Six Demon Bag; Matt and Kim's Grand; Portugal. The Man's The Satanic Satanist

Fang Island on Bandcamp

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 29
07:23 AM on 02/26/10
psu1fan
User Info.
When I grow up, I wanna be just like Fang Island so I can high five everyone with my infinite arms of glory.
09:33 AM on 02/26/10
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
this album is so good
10:01 AM on 02/26/10
TheHeretic
User Info.
So much love for this album. So very good.
10:15 AM on 02/26/10
sargenthouse
User Info.
This album makes us so proud. I am completely and utterly in love with this band
10:22 AM on 02/26/10
IWasHerHorse
User Info.
Really like what I've heard from this album, I'll be buying the LP next time they come around.
10:30 AM on 02/26/10
tossit
Gather round children zip it listen
User Info.
the album's good...I've liked it a lot
10:38 AM on 02/26/10
caligulasblush
Roped and Tide.
User Info.
i said it before and i'll say it again, this band is going to be huge. 10/10 release.
11:59 AM on 02/26/10
meroki22
MYOPINIONISRIGHTERTHANYOU RSRAAWWR!
User Info.
Holy shit this band is awesome
12:26 PM on 02/26/10
Young Machetes
Wasteland Explorer
User Info.
The RIYL's really make me want to listen.
12:29 PM on 02/26/10
kco24lp
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
nice review!
01:19 PM on 02/26/10
onetwentyseven
Settler / Jimmy
User Info.
Absolutely love this album, such a great band.
01:27 PM on 02/26/10
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
I have to admit being underwhelmed by this. I loved Day of the Great Leap and thought they were fantastic when I caught them live last year. I thought this would end up being something like And So I Watch You From Afar's self-titled, but not by a long shot. It's not bad, but stuff like "Sideswiper" could have been a theme song from an '80s sitcom. Fang Island going though some Growing Pains?
01:32 PM on 02/26/10
chaosagent
User Info.
This album is amazing. Best new album of 2010 by far in my opinion
02:11 PM on 02/26/10
danielplaysbass
ballin'
User Info.
this album is so good! all i've been jamming recently..

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos