Password

Album Review

The Audition - Great Danger Album Cover

The Audition - Great Danger

Reviewed by
The AuditionGreat Danger
Record Label: Victory Records
Release Date: March 16, 2010
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Before I was who I am now, I was a college freshman. That kid used to wear a brown Matchbook Romance shirt because he thought it put off a slightly aloof, very serial killer-ish vibe. He was also skinny. But this kid had a conversation with another kid, a kid in much skinnier jeans and much oilier skin, which held a lot of truth. The talk revolved around me being a stupid douche who held bands like babies, gently cupping them in my bosom so you, the mouth-breathing masses, could not get to them. This was why, the oily kid posited, I tended to always like the first record of a band and hate the second. It was because the second album typically brought greater success. All this silly snobbery, I remind you, from a kid in a brown Matchbook Romance shirt.

I’d like to think I’ve changed. In an Internet age such as this, there’s no secret collection of bands. And if there is, the bands are probably horseshit. Everything good is known. Anything great is super known. The Audition had a debut with songs I felt were insurmountable (especially “You’ve Made Us Conscious”). Therefore, people who didn’t wear Matchbook Romance shirts started to take notice. The band grew, and despite every bone in my body wanting to hate their third effort Self-Titled Album, I loved it. Although lyrically grounded in the minutiae of, blah, relationships and “making it”, its hyper aesthetic was welcomed and addictive.

But I am confident when I say that Great Danger is the band’s strongest output to date. It succinctly puts all their cards on the table, but does so in a way that artfully toes the dreaded line of recycled tunes. Sometimes a band has to perfect what they do before they can really move on, and at this point I’d be fine with The Audition coming back as a folktronica band. Great Danger is one big pop hit after another, from single “You Ruined This” to aggressive “He’s All You Want” to the hints of dance-punk intertwined throughout opener “Let Me Know.” The whole album plays like a lecture to the million other bands who do this pop-punk style. And after a few listens the message becomes clear, “Checkmate.”

Now yes, you won’t be surprised to hear that Great Danger features a couple attempts at that which isn’t the best for the band: “Run Away” is boring, acoustic and insincere when compared to fast-paced fist-pumpers like “Can You Remember?.” Closer “Final Adventure” is a strange mixture of Angels & Airwaves and, I don’t know, something worse than Angels & Airwaves. But that’s what I’m talking about: now that they’ve graduated from pop-punk, these can be the things they work out next. Maybe the band has it in them to create a concept album using harmonicas. Perhaps production by Machine will turn a song like “Ms. Crumby” into the perfect soundtrack morsel for the (probably) forthcoming Terminator: End Date 2; The End of Dates. Who knows, but at least their options are open. The band should be proud of this lofty accomplishment. Great Danger really is like listening to the top of a mountain peak.

Recommended If You Like: The All-American Rejects, Amber Pacific, tilde, All Time Low, lassos

Crisis Avoidedwww.myspace.com/theaudition

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 96
03:31 PM on 02/26/10
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
Great review, Blake. It's great to hear from one more person that this is their best album yet.
03:36 PM on 02/26/10
Argentine
When I die, rap dies; Destiny Bond.
User Info.
That kid in the oily skin reminds me of...me. Fuck.
Anyways good review.
03:39 PM on 02/26/10
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
That kid in the oily skin reminds me of...me. Fuck.
Anyways good review.
you need a new username. i am tired of typing it out in user review threads.

sorry, had to be said.
03:44 PM on 02/26/10
Argentine
User Info.
you need a new username. i am tired of typing it out in user review threads.

sorry, had to be said.
Dude! I hate my fucking name. I actually wanted to change but I'm not sure if I have to delete my account to do it.
03:46 PM on 02/26/10
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Dude! I hate my fucking name. I actually wanted to change but I'm not sure if I have to delete my account to do it.
you can have it changed for like 3 bucks or something
03:48 PM on 02/26/10
Argentine
User Info.
Weird. But I'll try it. I'm tired of always having to sign in with my stupid name. Where do I go?
03:53 PM on 02/26/10
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Weird. But I'll try it. I'm tired of always having to sign in with my stupid name. Where do I go?
it's probably on the site's FAQ section somewhere.
03:57 PM on 02/26/10
Argentine
User Info.
Sweet, thanks Blake. I'll look into it.
03:58 PM on 02/26/10
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
Wow a 76% is high, especially from you. I can't wait to hear this.
04:02 PM on 02/26/10
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Wow a 76% is high, especially from you. I can't wait to hear this.
what did you think about paragraph 3? I was worried about paragraph 3.
04:46 PM on 02/26/10
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
what did you think about paragraph 3? I was worried about paragraph 3.
I enjoyed it, made me even more excited to hear the album. I loved the last two sentences the most...
The whole album plays like a lecture to the million other bands who do this pop-punk style. And after a few listens the message becomes clear, “Checkmate.”

I have major respect for The Audition because they always seem to stay true to themselves and have never followed a trend, they just make music that they truly love.
06:34 PM on 02/26/10
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
Really looking forward to this, I have always loved every album they put out
07:19 PM on 02/26/10
more heart
Regular-Sized Rudy
User Info.
Nice review Blake. I too am very confident in this release. I have a feeling that "The Art Of Living" is going to be stuck in my head all year long.
08:15 PM on 02/26/10
XLT917
We're never dead unless we give up.
User Info.
Honestly never heard of them (I know, I know, the rock I live under is bigger than I thought), read this review, checked out their myspace, and I dig it. Will most likely be purchasing this and getting their other stuff too. What should I start with?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos