AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
When Girls Kiss Girls - A Few Words of Advice EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 5
Musicianship 5.5
Lyrics 5
Production 7
Creativity 4
Lasting Value 2
Reviewer Tilt 5
Final Verdict: 48%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8
Musicianship 9.75
Lyrics 7
Production 8
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 5
Average: 76%
Inside AP.net

When Girls Kiss Girls - A Few Words of Advice EP

Reviewed by: Thomas Nassiff (02/19/10)
When Girls Kiss Girls - A Few Words of Advice EP
Record Label: R3 Records
Release Date: November 2009

My mother and my librarian always taught me to not judge a book by its cover. This lesson has transferred into my real life as a young adult, but in a different way. I don't read books for pleasure anymore, (you ever try doing that in college? don't.) but it has extended into my musical life. You shouldn't judge bands by their names. Because for every brokenCYDE (capitalizations right/wrong? no care) there's a Less Than Jake or a Portugal. The Man or a fun. Even though your parents tell you that when you're a kid, though, you can't help but judge books by their covers, and you can't help but judge bands by their names.

So, naturally, when I heard of When Girls Kiss Girls, I was anticipating an utterly terrible band. No offense to the guys in When Girls Kiss Girls or anything, but yeah. They asked me to write a review for them and in my effort to be an all-around nice guy, I agreed. It turned out that they weren't that appalling. My first listen revealed enough for me to agree to write that review. However, multiple listens into this EP, I have realized that they quite simply aren't my taste and they won't be appealing to many members of this site at all. In fact, I'm quite sure that if this review wasn't a favor, it would be fairly bashy. That being said, I'll keep it honest here.

Experimenting with a sound that gives off shades of A Day to Remember but full-on, scary, larger than life shadows of Attack Attack!, When Girls Kiss Girls are testing the waters of heavy post-hardcore. If you don't like the two bands named above, then you can skip these guys. Their EP A Few Words of Advice is a decent start for the group, but listeners may be less than overwhelmed by the effort.

While the production is a relative success, the singing and screaming on the EP leave something to be desired. Six songs long, there is no standout track, and they all run into each other and sound the same. The seemingly typical sound of new bands in this genre is present - singing and screaming accompanied by dirty guitars: breakdowns heavy and gang vocals light. Again, this review isn't meant to bash, but it seems as if When Girls Kiss Girls' talents might be better used in a more pop-punk sound. The bursts of auto-tune are not welcome to the ears and seem out of place to me, but then again, to fans of Attack Attack!, this could be your next favorite band. The lyrics are less than mediocre when audible and although I don't listen to this album and come away impressed, for some reason it grabs enough attention for me to consider looking out for their next effort if I have nothing to do that day. I think it's the song "Oh, Brutus" that does it, and if you download anything from this EP, might as well be that. I wouldn't blame you if you don't though, I'm not about to go off recommending these guys to the masses.

So, overall, When Girls Kiss Girls will, for most, be overlooked in a sea of other ridiculously-named bands, but I'm positive that some people will take their sound and enjoy it. Everyone's ears are different. Now leap-frog over to your neighborhood libraries, little kiddies, and pick out the most oddly named book you can find. You never know what's inside.

Recommended If You LikeAttack Attack!, nothing else.

Bored?Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
01:39 PM on 03/09/10
TerrancePryor
twitter.com/terrancepryor
User Info.
I saw these guys a couple of years ago. Wasn't really into but I bought a shirt anyways because they were on tour.
07:53 PM on 03/10/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
I saw these guys a couple of years ago. Wasn't really into but I bought a shirt anyways because they were on tour.
fair enough haha. i bet their shirts are really bright.
09:20 AM on 03/11/10
TerrancePryor
twitter.com/terrancepryor
User Info.
fair enough haha. i bet their shirts are really bright.
You are correct. Haha.
03:27 PM on 04/06/10
barkingincision
i am white rune
User Info.
my sweet christ these guys might have the ugliest scenester promo banner on the face of the planet
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums