Username
Password

Album Review

Tyler Read - Only Rock & Roll Can Save Us Album Cover

Tyler Read - Only Rock & Roll Can Save Us

Reviewed by
Tyler Read - Only Rock & Roll Can Save Us
Record Label: Immortal Records

Ever wonder what The Pink Spiders would sound like if they were from the deep south? Look no further, because Tyler Read is your answer.

Yes, Louisiana's Tyler Read have dropped their regular pop rock sound for something a little more rooted in the dirty south, and by doing so seemed to have kicked their talent up a few notches.

Only Rock & Roll Can Save Us opens with an arena-worthy anthem titled "The Killer," with the album's first hints at '70s rockers and their more modern counterparts like Jet or The Darkness. Tyler Read's kitsch level is somewhere between those two particular bands, which is the perfect balance between taking themselves too seriously and being completely ridiculous.

The CD's lead single, "Intentions," showcases heavy guitar riffs and a great vocal performance from Josh Johnson. However, I feel that this song, particularly the chorus, could benefit from having a slightly faster beat. In fact, I feel this way about quite of few of the songs on the record. Not to say that the songs are bad, but I feel Tyler Read is at their best when they are playing hard and fast.

The exception to this is the closing track, "Heaven." This hopeful track displays some of the best lyrics on the album:
I think this whole sky was meant for us / I can see the colors and the whites collide / Then the good morning will welcome us / And wish us into this brand new year

All of the members of Tyler Read are very open about their belief in Christianity. This does come across in the lyrics, but not in such a heavyhanded way so as to turn you off from the album. Their faith gives them the one factor that keeps this album from being straight up '70s rock - instead of the songs praising the ideas of groupies and promiscuous girls, they instead bemoan those things. It's a refreshing change of pace, especially for this genre of music.

The big songs and catchy hooks on this album lend themselves perfectly to the hot summer afternoons that are quickly headed our way. I can't say I'll still be listening to this disc ten years down the road, but for now, I'll rock out with the windows down.Standout Tracks: The Killer, All You Need Is Love But, Private School Girls.

Tracklisting:
01. The Killer
02. Intentions *
03. Michael Jackson
04. Only Rock & Roll Can Save Us Now
05. All You Need Is Love, But
06. A Litmus Test
07. Baby's Got A Temper
08. Fire Away
09. Private School Girls *
10. Get Ready
11. Heaven *

* - standout track

For fans of: Maylene And The Sons Of Disaster, Agent Sparks, Rediscover

website | myspace | purevolume
This review is a user submitted review from average_jane. You can see all of average_jane's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
11:21 PM on 04/25/07
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
one of my favorites of the year so far.
01:18 AM on 04/28/07
PaintMeBlue
Binary Solo!
User Info.
this album really surprised me with how good it really was. good review!
04:27 PM on 04/28/07
Speed Of Life
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This album has not left my cd player since i bought it. i think it deserves a much better review. every song has its hidden charm i hope these guys get big.
09:27 AM on 05/09/07
AdamTheGreat
Roar!
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't think that you'll be listening to anything you listen to now in 10 years. Your review deserves this 65%. The only thing you seemed to point out was the fact that you didn't like the tempo in a chorus, yet such a low score. I can't say I can do much better, but that's why I don't try to review albums.
05:27 PM on 12/14/08
Frinet
run
User Info.
Awesome cd/band to hear live.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT