Password

Album Review
Tunng - ...And Then We Saw Land Album Cover

Tunng - ...And Then We Saw Land

Reviewed by
Tunng - …And Then We Saw Land
Record Label: Full Time Hobby Records
Release Date: March 1, 2010
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
When you look forward to something there’s buildup, anticipation and typically loud bragging to those who have nothing cool to anticipate. It’s a nice feeling, especially after the bragging, but it’s one that can bring disappointment with a slight chance of “aww shucks.” Thus my fragile psyche prefers the old-fashioned out-of-left-field (sports metaphor!) surprise. If it’s bad, at least I didn’t spend anytime dreading. If it’s good, at least I didn’t spend anytime dreading. Still, Tunng didn’t exactly pants me from behind. It was more like when someone is asked to appear on Maury. You’ve got an idea of how it will go, but you can’t be sure until you’re taking the paternity test. See, I had previously enjoyed 2007’s Good Arrows. It’s girl-guy vocals and twee-pop mentality always seemed to latch onto my music nipple without difficulty. But with this year’s …And Then We Saw Land, the band has created something truly special.

What Good Arrows lacked was tension. Now lyrically, …Land is all-around a happy record (look to opener “Hustle” and its tips on how to be free or “Don’t Look Down or Back”). But now the experimentation with electric guitars, even more electronic sampling and a focus on vocalist Becky Jacobs has brought Tunng to a paradise of exceeded expectations. Even a soft lullaby like “With Whiskey” finds the two vocalists rising to harmonious heights, creating a climax simply with a volume increase. And then with what is clearly a middle finger to now-losers Guillemots, Tunng created “Santiago.” They infused Guillemots’ waning sound with handclaps and Sunday-afternoon vocals to create pop that transcends the boundaries of verse-chorus-verse. Small changes for big results; Tunng are remarkable because it seems like they aren’t.

The folktronica genre is one of strange contradiction. And it’s also a term that scares people, but here it’s impact is so second nature that you don’t realize a nice soft-rock jam like “Sashimi” is anything other than normal radio fare. That means Tunng is doing their job, because folk is far from a But-the-Kitchen-Sink genre. Every weird instrument (sea shells?!, bird cages?!) is so completely integrated into a song’s overarching, happy-go-lucky melody that you never even think to pick out the oddities. Instead you just light up a room with your smile. For instance: “Hey Barry, did you get laid or something?” “No, Rick. I was listening to …And Then We Saw Land, and now I can’t stop smiling!”

No, you don’t need a handjob, Barry. You just need Tunng.

Recommended If You Like: Guillemots, I'm From Barcelona, Noah and the Whale

thanks!www.myspace.com/thisistunng

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
08:55 AM on 03/20/10
Shakriel
I just need reassurance.
User Info.
Sound interesting. Will check them out.
09:01 AM on 03/20/10
CatalinaCaper
Stay Classy, San Diego
User Info.
Jesus Christ Blake you need a Comedy Central special!
09:35 AM on 03/20/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Jesus Christ Blake you need a Comedy Central special!
I've been telling him that for two years.
09:39 AM on 03/20/10
E. Clectic
Quit these pretentious things.
User Info.
A Maury Povich reference, the phrase "latch on to my Music nipple."

Your reviews always peak my interest. I would give suicide bombing a chance on your recommendation.
10:52 AM on 03/20/10
alexcreate
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i do love noah and the whale..
10:57 AM on 03/20/10
hitormiss92
User Info.
I like the line about not pantsing you from behind :P Another great review, Blake!

I dig Tunng- good find for today
12:14 PM on 03/20/10
drewz5
Nothin better than a journey to you
User Info.
You guys should think about importing a lala player similar to paste or pitchfork to make it easier to listen to the album right away. and people here will like it because it scrobbles plays to a last.fm account
12:25 PM on 03/20/10
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
You guys should think about importing a lala player similar to paste or pitchfork to make it easier to listen to the album right away. and people here will like it because it scrobbles plays to a last.fm account
tis a good idea. i'd be surprised if mr. tate isn't working on something like that as we speak
01:47 PM on 03/20/10
thehereaway
snickers at the swine flu
User Info.
I like what I hear.
01:57 PM on 03/20/10
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
they're from london too. i bet you could see them fairly easily
05:40 PM on 03/20/10
Crossfade
Live each week like it's shark week
User Info.
tis a good idea. i'd be surprised if mr. tate isn't working on something like that as we speak
That would be pretty awesome. I do enjoy PF's player
05:18 PM on 03/21/10
InBetweenAisles
WeReadTheSignsCompletelyB ackwards
User Info.
Really awesome band. Great CD.
07:31 PM on 03/21/10
drewz5
Nothin better than a journey to you
User Info.
sweet, good to hear (possibly)
07:39 PM on 03/21/10
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
This record has me all sorts of happy right now.

I'll have to check out their last album for curiosity's sake.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos