AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Youth Pictures of Florence Henderson - Youth... Album Cover

Youth Pictures of Florence Henderson - Youth...

Reviewed by
Youth Pictures of Florence HendersonYouth Pictures of Florence Henderson
Record Label: How Is Annie / Friend of Mine Records
Release Date: March 01, 2010
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
If there’s one thing I don’t do well it’s stay in touch. I typically blame it on social anxiety, but I’m fairly sure it’s just general indifference. Without context it’s hard for me to listen or stay involved with estranged “friends.” It’s stupid and extremely antisocial of me. Plus, it’s hypocritical because one of my favorite shows is Seinfeld. Hearing about so-and-so doing who-knows-what over the phone or God Forbid! over GbookMail is, in my mind, the equivalent of having your teeth pulled, except that you can – and must – talk to the dental hygienist throughout the whole ordeal. It’s for this reason, and let’s be honest, a mountain’s worth of other untreated personality failures, that I sometimes go years without hearing from, caring about or even remembering once “good” friends.

However, compared to a band like Youth Pictures of Florence Henderson, whose last output is from 2005, I must seem like a yenta. The band dropped an enormously enjoyable post-rock album, and then did nothing. We didn’t hear from them. They didn’t write songs or to us. And now we’re just supposed to welcome their self-titled release, with the added dimension of wispy yet shouty vocals, like they’ve been here the whole time? Not on my hypocritical watch, boys. Fine, I'm fooling nobody. This rules.

The album begins with “Let’s Rent Bikes From 1942,” and it isn’t long before former fans will hear the delicately applied vocals behind the band’s Sunday Stroll style. Very rarely do Youth Pictures climaxes include pounding drums or scary guitar squalls. The band use tempo and volume, but it’s never done in a way that would rouse a sleeping person. And with songs easily surpassing the 8-minute mark, listeners have plenty of time to envision the breathtaking landscapes that must have influenced such freewheeling song structures. For instance the violin on “To Sit Down or to Follow, So I Follow” ebbs back and forth like mountaintops on a foggy day. I guess I’m starting to understand how this could take five years.

But we all have a shtick, and we should know when it's becoming stale. I knew a guy who was tired of me ending every sentence with something self-deprecating, so he began doing it for me. But when I met him again years later, what had been tired was now fresh. Youth Pictures aren’t bearing any instrumental torch; orchestral arrangements, the adding of vocals, pause-go momentum swings, etc, many other bands employ these features. And I don’t know how many times I’ve said this – six? – it’s the ability to mold overdone things into new shapes that matters most. By employing distortions and ever-so-slight electronic flourishes, Youth Pictures have created something that feels original. Whether it is or not doesn’t really matter to anyone but you.

With each passing year we create more life trapdoors that hoard/hide once-important information. A lot can be acquired or lost. You can be like me and use that time to turn over friends like cashiers at McDonalds. Or you could take Youth Pictures of Florence Henderson’s path and drastically improve yourself. Remember, their path doesn’t mean they have to hide in a Gap changing room to avoid “friends.” This one should be a no-brainer.

Recommended If You Like: The Appleseed Cast, Slint, "a noisy Death Cab for Cutie"

about towww.myspace.com/youthpictures

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
09:38 PM on 03/28/10
ohmessylife

User Info.
So excited to see a review for this, kudos to you. Truly an awesome album that everyone should make a conscious effort to check out.
08:54 AM on 03/29/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I'm still struggling with the name.
09:55 AM on 03/29/10
Greek
Saigon...shit
User Info.
Good stuff, glad they got reviewed here.
10:06 AM on 03/29/10
Clintoto
thefifties.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Ultra-LOL at the name, must check it out based on that alone. However this recommendation upon liking of The Appleseed Cast is another grand reason.
10:23 AM on 03/29/10
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
Ultra-LOL at the name, must check it out based on that alone. However this recommendation upon liking of The Appleseed Cast is another grand reason.
Agreed. Love me some Appleseed Cast. This sounds good too. I always trust Blake's opinion. **ehem Moving Mountains ehem**.
10:36 AM on 03/29/10
brenByah
Welcome to the Blue Hell
User Info.
Very odd band name, but that usually gets me to check a band out. So in that respect, mission accomplished.
11:24 AM on 03/29/10
morfar
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
hi. im the drummer from youth pics and i just found this review. i would just like to say that i really enjoyed reading it. the reviewer has catched a lot of what was our intentions with this album and he writes really well. thumbs up. and yes, i know. our band name is weird:)
thanks for all the other nice words too. it means a lot.
12:01 PM on 03/29/10
therookielot
the shape of punk just came
User Info.
wtf @ the name haha
12:18 PM on 03/29/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
If you ask me they were trying to be cute.
12:35 PM on 03/29/10
morfar
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
bandname history:
to clear things up. just a month or so after we started the band we were asked to do a show, but we had no name. the guy who was making the poster called us up while were at a party drinking beer and watching tv. the program that as on was a documentary about the actress florence henderson, and the line "nude pictures of florence henderson" was mentioned as he was on the phone. we had to give the guy a bandname ASAP for the poster and ended up with changing nude to youth and we had a name. things went uphill pretty fast, so we never got time to change it and after our first record (which actually was a demo).

at the time we were a punkband btw.

today we kind of like the name. and we figured out that she looked kinda cute when she was younger:)
12:47 PM on 03/29/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
bandname history:
to clear things up. just a month or so after we started the band we were asked to do a show, but we had no name. the guy who was making the poster called us up while were at a party drinking beer and watching tv. the program that as on was a documentary about the actress florence henderson, and the line "nude pictures of florence henderson" was mentioned as he was on the phone. we had to give the guy a bandname ASAP for the poster and ended up with changing nude to youth and we had a name. things went uphill pretty fast, so we never got time to change it and after our first record (which actually was a demo).

at the time we were a punkband btw.

today we kind of like the name. and we figured out that she looked kinda cute when she was younger:)
Pretty cool of you to be so candid. Much appreciated.
06:13 PM on 03/29/10
duffe
_________________________ _____
User Info.
great review, great band. The book for this albums kicks ass.
04:28 PM on 03/30/10
indietrash
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
everyone should head over to http://www.howisannierecords.com and buy this!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos