Album Review
We Are the Union - Great Leaps Forward Album Cover

We Are the Union - Great Leaps Forward

Reviewed by
We Are The Union - Great Leaps Forward
Record Label: Paper & Plastick
Release Date: March 30, 2010
Who?

We Are The Union: Detroit, Michigan's ska punk extraordinaires. Armed with their sophomore effort Great Leaps Forward, these guys are ready to start a new wave of ska punk for today's generation.

How is it?

What wave of ska are we at now? Does it really matter? Not to We Are The Union, who make their own blend of "skacore" (for lack of a better term). Mixing hard nose punk and a brass section (specifically a trombone), WATU sound like the bastard children of Lifetime and Big D & the Kids Table. Opening the album is "We're All Dead," which has a great build up, then explodes in to a fast paced, circle pit inducing track with the gang calling "We're All Dead!" "We Don't Care If Yesterday Burns, Stoke Up The Fire" sees the album slow down ever so slightly, featuring the brass section prominently. "What We Have Here Is A Failure To Communicate" picks right back up, showing the band at it's best, even containing a breakdown of sorts about halfway through the song. Album closer "Be Kind, Rewind" is a fitting finish, ending with the lyrics "Don't waste your last breath / to ask for redemption. / Forgive yourself / reinvent salvation."

We Are The Union are just another band out of the Detroit area making a name for themselves. The only knock on the album is that sometimes the horns are overwhelmed by the rest of the band, but they more than make up for that on "We Don't Care If Yesterday Burns, Stoke Up The Fire." It's easy to tell these guys are having a great time making music, so do yourself a favor: check them out. You won't regret it.

Recommended If You LikeRehasher; Big D & the Kids Table; Lifetime; Anthem-era Less Than Jake

myspace.com/wearetheunion
This review is a user submitted review from Schmidty Says. You can see all of Schmidty Says's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
08:39 AM on 04/09/10
zootiniski
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I could not agree more.
Solid review, and a phenomenal band.
These guys are doing it right, and I love what they're doing.
05:37 PM on 04/09/10
decrescendo27
www.KillLincolnDC.com
User Info.
"The only knock on the album is that sometimes the horns are overwhelmed by the rest of the band"

I completely agree. And for some reason, his horn parts sound more...... sloppy? I've played trombone in various local punk bands for years and the way this record's horn parts sound sort of shocked me. The "Gun Show Must Go On" EP had better sounding trombone, in my opinion. I realize they took out the sax parts and re-recorded with trombone, but most of his notes seem to lack "attack". It sort of disappoints me a little.

That being said; good record from a very, very, very good band.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos