AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Lost Ocean - 05.21.07

Interviewed by
Lost Ocean - 05.21.07I would like to thank Bret Black of Lost Ocean for doing this interview and Gabe Gross for setting everything up!

The question on everyone's minds is: What is the meaning behind the name Lost Ocean?

It's not really the literal meaning of the two words or some in-depth story behind Lost Ocean that we liked, but more of the vibe of it and how that relates to our music. On an old set list we had the titles "lost" and "ocean" next to each other, we liked how it looked and the feeling it gave us and we went from there.

When did the band first meet?

We've all known each other and played in different bands together for about 7 or 8 years. The four of us played in another band before Lost Ocean with two additional members. As time went on, it became clear that the four of us had a certain idea of which direction we wanted to go and eventually it just became the four of us doing this.

Did anyone in the band have lessons or were they self-taught?

Everyone has had lessons in some sort. Chris and Sky studied music in college for a bit, Jeff and myself have had private lessons. I'd like to get vocal lessons and eventually get some more proper training on theory and composition. A lot of my "lessons" early on can be attributed to musictheory.net [laughs]

When did Credential Recordings first notice you and how did you make the decision to sign with them?

We started talking with Chris York (A&R) back in early 2005 after a friend of ours who worked at the record label gave Chris a demo of ours. Chris lives in Nashville but flew out to LA when Edison Glass (Credential) was recording their album out here. We met with him for a bit and just got to know each other. After talking for a bit we ended up driving out to Nashville and showcasing for the label. It was a bit stressful but wonderful at the same time. The first day was spent just getting to know everyone at the office and seeing how all the day to day operations went. That night we played and went out to dinner with Chris and his dad Peter (president), then on the following day Chris told us that he wanted us to be part of the Credential family. It wasn't so much the EMI connection or any certain perk about our contract that made us chose Credential over some other labels we were in contact with at the time, but it was really more a thing about the quality of the people at the label and how genuine they were and have been to this day. They are all truly great people and we feel extremely fortunate to have them working for us.

What made you decide to include the songs from your EP on the full-length?

The EP was actually an after thought of the album. We recorded the album in it's entirety and later on the label decided it would be a better marketing move if we could release the EP and have something to help us build some more buzz before the full length came out.

What are some of the lyrical themes on your self-titled record?

Love, Life, God, Friends, Temptation, Redemption, and Insanity.

What were the inspirations behind the self-titled record?

Although this is our first proper record released from a record label and that is in stores nationwide, we released an indie record entitled "Douse the Choir" prior to our self-titled. We all consider the self-titled our first record, as we were never really able to give douse the choir a chance (started talking with Credential and got to work demoing new songs for the new record). DTC was something that we wrote for ourselves without much regard to other people liking it. And I really don't feel that art needs to made to just make other people happy, there is plenty of music out there that makes everyone else happy and if it doesn't make the writer happy then it is a waste of his/her time. But I think there needs to be a balance. We learned that from DTC and tried to incorporate that into this record. At the end of the day you need to be happy with the art that you make, but I don't really see the point in touring and trying to spread your music to other people if there isn't some degree of wanting to give them something tangible.

What are your expectations for the new record?

For the self-titled or for our next record?

For the self-titled.

I hope it can make it's way into as many people's hands as possible and I hope that in a year from now (or whenever it is that we record again) we are able to grow and learn from this record and hopefully make something that is both catchier and artier. Not to boast or sound full of myself, but I think one of the strong points in this band (or at least what we have strived for since the beginning) is the ability to blend pop with a bit more arty or intricate music. I hope that can only increase and we can only get better at it.

How has the response been for your new full-length?

It has been very very encouraging, we have gotten a lot of kind words from a lot of people and we have gotten to get our music in the hands of people in Japan, South America and all over the US and a lot of places I honestly never thought we would. The reviewers have also been very kind to us. Thank you reviewers!

Will Douse The Choir ever get a re-release in the near future?

Difficult to say, I think if it was available online sometime down the road that would be nice. This album would not have happened without Douse the Choir. We learned a lot from that record and I think we'll always look back fondly on it.

Who are your biggest musical influences?

At the moment...
The Beatles, Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Bjork, The Killers, Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene.

When you are on tour, what are some snacks that you just have to have with you?

We're all pretty big on the cans of slim fast. Very easy when you're touring and fast food + driving in a van 8 hours a day just makes you fat. Slim Fast isn't really the coolest "rock snack" (if there is such a thing) but who really wants to come home to their girlfriend fat? Monsters are also a must.

What is the most crucial thing (other than instruments) you need to have with you on tour?

Our inverter, it gives us power in the van to watch DVDs, play playstation, and charge our cell phones. That or the GPS. I don't know how bands toured without those two items.

What do you love the most about being in a band?

Seeing all the new places and meeting all the new faces. I can't think of another job where you can have as much freedom and be able to take as much pride in the product you are selling. Being able to share these things with your best friends is like nothing else.

What is one CD that can be found in your collection that most people would be surprised to know you own?

Sugar Ray, the one with that "fly" song. I bought it in like the 7th grade. That or Jagged Little Pill by Alanis Morisette. I had great taste in music in jr. high.

Are there any unsigned bands or local bands around that people should be checking out?

There are a million, there is a band called Briertone that is from around
here and they are wonderful as well as a band called Northern (on our top
friends on myspace). The best way to find out is to go to local shows and buy bands CDs.

Are there any last words you would like to say to the reader's of absolutepunk.net?

Thank you for taking time out of your day to read this, please check out our new record and stream it on lostoceanmusic.com. Become our friend on myspace then come out to a show and say hi to us. Please tell your friends and most importantly of all, support bands that you like by buying their merchandise/records in stores. Godspeed!

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
09:09 AM on 05/21/07
irishpunk14
User Info.
nice interview.
10:59 AM on 05/21/07
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
good interview. a friend turned me onto this band, and i really enjoy em.

and gabe gross ftw.
02:49 PM on 05/21/07
MarkyMark1984
****** of the funky bunch
User Info.
i bought this cd back when it came out. the name caught my attention and i had heard bands on credential i liked before, so i just bought it not having heard any of their music. i was happy i did because it is a great album. my band is opening for them when they stop in KC this july and i am pretty excited about it!
04:27 PM on 05/21/07
thatwasamoment
RICH GANNON WAR WAGON
User Info.
I feel very fortunate to be able to catch them at local shows. Such a good band.
05:55 PM on 05/21/07
marksescon
Mark Sescon
User Info.
They use to go to my high school.
05:34 PM on 05/27/07
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
i have been enjoying this bands release alot, good interview btw

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News