AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Amity Affliction, The - Severed Ties Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8
Musicianship 6.5
Lyrics 6
Production 8
Creativity 5.75
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Average: 70%
Inside AP.net

Amity Affliction, The - Severed Ties

Reviewed by: Corey Hoffy (04/20/10)
The Amity Affliction - Severed Ties
Record Label: Boomtown Records
Release Date: October 4, 2008

Getting on board with the group vocals, covers, and mixing of screaming vocals and clean vocals, Australian post-hardcore band The Amity Affliction have little to offer to this over-crowded scene. The cover this time? Pat Benatar's "Love is a Battlefield." The result? Not all that great. Which pretty much can be said about the album itself.

But, of course, I enjoyed it anyways. "I Heart Roberts'" is a fun opening track that will give any teenager the courage to give their parents the finger. Meanwhile, the second track "BDKIAF" really lets clean vocalist Ahren Stringer show his chops. "Jesse Intense" includes Michael Crafter of the Australian super metal group I Killed the Prom Queen. Although, I've never really listened to the band heavily, his vocal work on the track make it a notable song on the album. Listen to it for him and Stringer. Closer "Stairway To Hell" really shows the talent of the whole band. If more of the songs on the album would have had the intensity shown in this song, it would have made for a better listen indeed.

Production is solid on the album, and the band is able to pull of its own sound, but it's still too similar to other post-hardcore work out there (most notably Atreyu and Alexisonfire). I'd like to see their next album focus more on Stringer's clean vocals as opposed to Joel Birch's sometimes overly high-pitched screams and raspy clean vocals. The combination wasn't working for me.

The album overall isn't that bad, but it's not that great either. Just another post-hardcore album to pass the time with. You'll find nothing groundbreaking here.

Recommended If You LikeAlexisonfire; Atreyu; post-hardcore music

myspace.com/theamityaffliction

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
09:06 AM on 04/22/10
a nocturnal day
this ain't a game
User Info.
Good review, I agree completely. Though I actually thought Joel's high screams were really good. "I Hearts Roberts" is probably the best song....
10:03 AM on 04/22/10
Corey Hoffy
I refuse to spend life on my knees
User Info.
Good review, I agree completely. Though I actually thought Joel's high screams were really good. "I Hearts Roberts" is probably the best song....

Yeah, I'll agree with "I Heart Roberts'" being the best song. I dunno, maybe his voice will grow on me over time, kind of like it had to with Alexisonfire.
03:31 PM on 04/22/10
etwardjetward
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
coool.
05:17 AM on 04/23/10
Akissforher
City Love
User Info.
"Jesse Intense" includes Michael Crafter of the Australian super metal group Confession

sorry i couldnt resist, good to see two aussie bands reviewed here; while the album overall isnt great i still like a few much like you it seems. especially the blair snitch project.
05:43 PM on 05/23/10
ship of beers
User Info.
some good tunes, not a bad release by any means. It helps there Aussie
09:37 PM on 06/10/10
Jgoddard
User Info.
really enjoyed this album, hopefully the one coming up doesnt dissapoint
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE