08:55 AM on 05/24/07 
User Info.
jaimej
too caught up in the beautiful
NYC
Female
Anthony Raneri of Bayside
Vinnie Caruana of I Am The Avalanche
Acoustic Show - part of an "Intimate and Unplugged" series given by Excess dB Entertainment.
The Canal Room, NYC

On Sunday night I was lucky enough to check out Anthony Raneri (of Bayside) and Vinnie Caruana (of I Am The Avalanche) perform acoustic sets at the Canal Room in NYC. Not what I expected to find just off of Canal St, but I was pleasantly surprised. The atmosphere of the venue was laid back and relaxed, and had a very lounge-like feel to it. It was the perfect setting for this type of show. Though 21+, which in my opinion worked very well for this show, they still managed to fill the room. The one strange thing about the venue was the bathrooms. Located downstairs, there were 8 or so small rooms with a stall and sink. A member of security (who seemed more like a crossing guard) would point you out to an open stall and promptly clean it as you left. Though very efficient and clean, this was probably one of the strangest things I’ve seen in a venue. It didn’t take away from the feel of the place, however, which I suggest checking out if you get a chance.

Vinnie’s set was first, and you can tell he was very nervous. He admitted this was his first solo performance and it was taking some getting used to. Still, he plugged on, cracking jokes about his hands shaking and the random cactus that sat on the table next to him. He also announced that he had just gotten married on Friday (Congratulations!) and that his new wife was in attendance. The setlist consisted of a mix of Movielife and IATA songs, having both Anthony and two current members of IATA come out and join him at times. The crowd was enthralled, chanting and singing along to every word that Vinnie uttered. All in all he put on a great performance, was very personable and seemed to be having a great time.

Anthony’s set was next. He opened up with a cover of “Good Fucking Bye” by Matt Skiba and his set was a good mix of Bayside songs with a few covers. The highlight for me was his cover of Death Cab For Cutie’s “I Will Follow You Into The Dark,” which he also recorded and sold on a split CD with Vinnie in limited quantities at the show. He was gearing up for a final song when the crowd cheered for “The Walking Wounded,” the title track off of their most recent album which features guest vocals from Vinnie. Hesitant due to the fact that it is very electric, Anthony played it and Vinnie ran up during his cue. The crowd cheered and it seemed as everyone in the place at that time had a huge smile on their face, Vinnie and Anthony included.

All in all it was a great overall performance from both guys, whose personalities surely assisted in the experience. I absolutely recommend seeing them if you ever get a chance, either solo or with their respective bands.
09:30 AM on 05/24/07 
User Info.
leary0315
MatadorOfTheChildrensWard
Millersville...
Male - 25 Years Old
What Movielife songs did Vinnie play?
09:49 AM on 05/24/07 
User Info.
CountMeOut923
Registered Member
Los Angeles via...
Female - 28 Years Old
this is so awesome. after watching all the videos of the show, it seemed like the perfect show..
i'm pretty sure the movielife songs he played were:
10 seconds too late
hey
hand grenade
09:56 AM on 05/24/07 
User Info.
punkkid1023
I was at the show and it was absolutely insane. The venue was very small and intimate, a perfect setting for the show. It was nice to hear the movielife songs again and also I am the Avalanche songs. The feeling in the crowd was amazing and everybody had a blast. I agree with what Jaime said that if you can check out the venue definitely go. Great feel!!
10:20 AM on 05/24/07 
User Info.
James Shotwell
Boston
Male - 26 Years Old
Verified
r there mp3s of this show?
10:29 AM on 05/24/07 
User Info.
ilovebsb
That's pretty dope that vinnie played some movielife songs.
11:29 AM on 05/24/07 
User Info.
Russ Hockenbury
with special guest
Louisville, KY
Male
I would've traded the last 10 shows I've been to, to go to this one.
12:13 PM on 05/24/07 
User Info.
Waitingtofall4
Oi!
Syracuse, NY
Female
i would have gave anything to get to this show. i'm so pissed i had to miss out
12:16 PM on 05/24/07 
User Info.
notoaststereo
they knew exactly what happened.
New York
Male - 25 Years Old
i would have killed to go to that show.
12:41 PM on 05/24/07 
User Info.
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
Dirty Albany
Male - 22 Years Old
God, i wish
03:45 PM on 05/24/07 
User Info.
jeftrent
Raeford, NC
Male - 24 Years Old
that sounds like it was amazing to see
07:14 PM on 05/24/07 
User Info.
PillsAndAdvice
No Avatar Selected
Breinigsville, PA
Male - 29 Years Old
I have some videos of the Philly show. They should be uploaded some time next week.
10:17 PM on 05/24/07 
User Info.
honeststoryline
oh, hey.
No Avatar Selected
long island, nyc,...
Female - 25 Years Old
i really wish the canal room hadn't been 21+; i had every intent to go to this show. seriously, i feel like i really missed out here.
10:37 PM on 05/24/07 
User Info.
MIKEY_HORROR
Hoods nvr stop, thy jst take breaks
"330"
Male - 31 Years Old
I drove 8 hours for this show, and it was definately worth it.

Brandon Riley of Nightmare of You/The Movielife was also at the show and Vinnie and him poked a bit of fun at Avenged Sevenfold. haha.

and Kylee Kross/Raneri, Anthonys wife was there with Anthonys family...it was cute.. her and Ants. Mom were singing along word for word during his entire set.
02:00 AM on 06/01/07 
User Info.
TheHurricane
No Avatar Selected
Stonington CT
Male - 29 Years Old
I saw them in Hartford and it was absoloutly amazing. I actually had no clue that Vinnie was going to be there and when he sat down, the 50 or so people went nuts. Hey played all of the songs mentioned so far, but he was still awesome. Anthony followed up with a a few songs off of bayside ("They look like Strong Hands" and "Blame it on Bad Luck") and a couple off of the walking wounded ("Landing Feet First," which he explained that he wrote for his wife, and the walking wounded with vinnie.) He played a couple other tracks like "Betty Grable" (its on youtube) and Tim McGraws Just to see you smile. It was a show that really blew me away, and its unfortunate if you missed it.

But they said that they are going to do this a couple times a year when both bands are not touring or in the studio, so keep your eyes peeled.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos