AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

AP.net Remembers: Grade

Posted by - 08:57 AM on 05/05/10
Victory Records. The mere utterance of those two words in conjunction around AP.net-land is likely to generate responses of disdain and derision. Regardless of the label's treatment of beloved fan-favorites and its recent penchant for signing generic flavors-of-the-week, it has also undeniably pushed out some truly classic albums, not the least of which came from today's spotlight band, Grade. Their first album for the label, 1999's Under the Radar was the sound of a band coming into their own. When listening to it side-by-side with their earlier Second Nature recordings, it's easy to wonder how they even got from the proverbial Point A to Point B. Its landmark combination of melodic punk riffs and Kyle Bishop's sing-and-scream vocals is a style still (for better or worse) being copped by hordes of bands more than a decade later, but a scant few have been able to bottle the same magic and energy and the perfect mix of crunch and catchiness. Hell, even they couldn't really do it. Their follow-up record Headfirst Straight to Hell played with essentially the same formula but lacked that all-important factor: really great songs that make you want to play them over and over again. Let's give credit where it's due, though; on any given day, you won't have to look past AP's front page to find bands ripping off Grade at least a little bit.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27
08:58 AM on 05/05/10
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
"The Inefficiency of Emotion" (from Under the Radar)

"Seamless" (from Under the Radar)

"A Year in the Past, Forever in the Future" (from Under the Radar)

"Triumph and Tragedy" (from Under the Radar)
09:09 AM on 05/05/10
emo_boo
User Info.
great band
09:12 AM on 05/05/10
BTBAM
Mr. Looptastic
User Info.
They are releasing a new one this year, correct?
09:12 AM on 05/05/10
doomcrs04
Train Rides Up North
User Info.
Way to not mention ...And Such Is Progress.
09:15 AM on 05/05/10
caligulasblush
Roped and Tide.
User Info.
They are releasing a new one this year, correct?

They did a 2x7" with bane and two other bands. Two new songs which were righteous.

Personally aside from the shit recording I thought "headfirst" was fantastic. The songs were great live and the video for "termites hollow" was really creepy.

One of my all time favs. Hoping for another US tour. Last time I saw them was with catch 22 , reach the sky, and student rick at chain on some victory records tour.
09:21 AM on 05/05/10
etomicsean
Lannen Fall / Sean - Manager
User Info.
under the radar was so good. i loved this band.
09:25 AM on 05/05/10
craigboliver
I Am Shark
User Info.
They did a 2x7" with bane and two other bands. Two new songs which were righteous.

Personally aside from the shit recording I thought "headfirst" was fantastic. The songs were great live and the video for "termites hollow" was really creepy.

One of my all time favs. Hoping for another US tour. Last time I saw them was with catch 22 , reach the sky, and student rick at chain on some victory records tour.
oh they released them already? geez i'm missing important news lately.
09:27 AM on 05/05/10
caligulasblush
Roped and Tide.
User Info.
oh they released them already? geez i'm missing important news lately.

You can buy the their two new songs on iTunes for 1.99. Def worth it.
09:35 AM on 05/05/10
theclap
the clap
User Info.
Great band. My friends and I were obsessed with these guys.
09:55 AM on 05/05/10
BTBAM
Mr. Looptastic
User Info.

Hmm...I thought I read last year they were in the middle of recording a full length. Guess it fell through.
10:21 AM on 05/05/10
JayBee420
Bright and Early
User Info.
Their cover of Panama was like the greatest thing ever.
10:51 AM on 05/05/10
bradsonemanband
I make music.
User Info.
looooove Under The Radar. the first time i heard Grade was on a Victory Records summer sampler i got at warped tour. it had "triumph and tragedy" acoustic. that was also the first time i ever heard Thursday and Student Rick, as well. whom i became big fans of after that.
11:15 AM on 05/05/10
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
This is one of the first AP.net Remembers/Weekly Nostalgia bands that I've never even heard of. Time to change that.
11:19 AM on 05/05/10
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
User Info.
love this.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT