AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Dear and Departed - 05.21.07

Dear and Departed - 05.21.07

Interviewed by
Dear and Departed - 05.21.07I just wanted to say thank you to Dan, who took time out of his day to answer these questions and to Mike, who set this all up! You can check out Dear and Departed's AbsolutePunk profile here.

First, can you state your name and what you do in The Dear and Departed?

Dan Under, I sing.

How did the band get together?

A series of peculiar events. A previous band 3 of us were in dissolved and we, all of a sudden had the freedom to do whatever we wanted. Darren and David soon joined the ranks, to make the group we are to date.

Since you guys arenít from Southern California or the United States for that matter, how did you make friends with a lot of So Cal bands like Saosin, Atreyu, Avenged Sevenfold, and 18 Visions?

I guess friends of friends simply. The world is a very small place and often it seems itís getting smaller. All the bands you mentioned have a somewhat connection, be it sharing practice spaces or growing and playing together etcÖ

Were very lucky to have found such stand up people here. That's hard these days.

And why did you guys decide to call Southern California home?

We all decided that working on our tans was level pegged with our dreams of playing music. OC was drawn out of a hat. The other possible choices were Hawaii, Fiji and the Bahamas. Luckily OC happened to also have a great music scene.

How did you guys hook up with Chris Vrenna, who has worked with so many great bands like U2, Smashing Pumpkins, and Nine Inch Nails?

He was (thankfully) suggested to us by someone at our label. He couldn't have come at a better time and we feel very privileged to have worked with him in the way we did.

What will the new CD sound like?

All your favorite songs from the 80's to today back-to-back, delivered as 13 blistering new tracks.

What are some of the things you wanted to accomplish with "Something Quite Peculiar?"

To produce a record that we were all happy with (first and foremost), that was honest, different and made peoples toes tap away like they used to.

How long did it take you to write and record the new album?

We had about 6 months all up. A couple songs were written as we first got together but most were finished just before we went in to record. I couldn't imagine a record full of songs that have taken any longer. With each record, comes a specific feeling or style that shouldn't be repeated. Just looks to the greats for that.

What were some of the things you liked/disliked about recording?

Actually loved all of it. Loved the challenges, loved not being able to come up with what was in my head, but in turn discovering something cooler. I thought everyone brought something unique to the entire process to make a record were really proud of.

How did you guys sign with SCIENCE Records?

They were interested and seemed the coolest out of the bunch. We had numerous meetings and then decided it was the right thing to do. That whole side of the industry is a bit hairy, so usually itís best to go with your gut instinct and pray.

Since you guys have been together only a little over a year, what has been the biggest highlight? And the worst?

Yes, we've had a good run, considering the current state of affairs today. I think it just proves that if you're good people and your aim is true, then good things will come your way eventually. Music is so weird these days. For every real band who is a band because they have to be, there are 5 who don't know why theyíre doing it, or what they're trying to achieve at all. I mean, we still have a very long way to go, don't get me wrong. I just think if youíre true to yourself then you're already winning. The whole year we've been a band has been a highlight for me, taking into account the last few years and the road that's led us to where we are today. There's always going to be ball aches however.

The political side to the industry is horrible and I guess that's what happens when people rely so much on music as a money making venture instead of what it was originally intended for, being creative and expressing yourself.

Music is just the soundtrack to life, up and downs. The highlight would probably be the AFI tour. Great friends, great shows. That's all you can ask for.

What are some things people donít know about you?

I definitely cherish my privacy but I guess a few things people wouldn't know are.... I play football (soccer) every other night. I've designed for Hurley, To Die For and Finish Strong, to name a few. I don't know, I stick to myself and people watch mostly.

How did you guys get your shoes designed by Nike and what was that like?

They have been great to us. We were there one day hanging out and we got to use their laser-etching machine on some of our own belongings. It then moved onto doing a custom shoe. Right before our eyes with our logo and symbol on it. It was so cool to watch and you can see the actual pair we made that day on Simons feet on our new video for Tonightís the Night.

What are some of your favorite things to do when you guys are home from touring?

My favorite thing to do is to watch CSI. I'm nearly done with all the seasons, so I'm a bit nervous to try and find a new show. I don't watch TV other than that, and a few English comedies.

Usually I just draw, try and be as creative as I can, kick a ball around etc.

Good food never gets old either, sushi being my favorite.

That's all I have for now! Thanks for answering these questions for me!

The pleasure was all mine.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
11:11 AM on 06/04/07
User Info.
i meet these guys when they were opening for avenged sevenfold (as day of contempt) and got to spend the day with them on the afi tour and both times they were all nothing short of amazing (both just hanging out and performing). they deserve all the good that comes to them.

everyone should also check out "finish strong."
06:33 PM on 07/11/07
britbuzz
britbuzz
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
so when will the video be out?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music