SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
Great list.
01:43 PM on 05/17/10
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
i have never listened to any of these albums, only a few songs from a few of them.
01:48 PM on 05/17/10
Adrian Villagomez
Heading Over to See 'Bout This Girl
User Info.
If Born to Run and Highway 61 are only making it this year, I need to see what you guys put on there last year. Chances are I won't approve of those two ever being left off.
Tons of excellent albums have to be left off when putting together small lists like these. Just because this year's picks didn't make it into last year's list, that doesn't place any of those albums above these.
01:55 PM on 05/17/10
kolby182
kolby182
User Info.
Pinkerton and And Out Come The Wolves are definitely classics for me. Each time I listen to them it takes me back to my younger days.
01:57 PM on 05/17/10
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Some good choices. I would have liked to see Illmatic or 36 Chambers included in the hip hop part, but I guess those two are better suited for this site.
I was actually going to write one for Illmatic, I just never got around to it. It'll be on the list next year!
01:58 PM on 05/17/10
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
link to last years please?

If Born to Run and Highway 61 are only making it this year, I need to see what you guys put on there last year. Chances are I won't approve of those two ever being left off.

if you go up to "articles" at the top of the page and click it, you'll find last years.
01:58 PM on 05/17/10
james77
Oh, there's legwork
User Info.
Pinkerton!
02:00 PM on 05/17/10
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
So I checked out the Galaxy 500 song, cuz I had never heard of them. It's so far out of time. Sounds like a group of 13 year olds in their dad's garage jamming for the first time. Is the whole album like that?
Yeah, it is. Those lagging drums sort of accentuate the whole lazy feel, and they are characteristic of the record as a whole.

Had this list wound up like last year's, I would have chosen something more in line with the accepted AP bands, but when people chose stuff like Springsteen and Kanye, I thought I'd add even more to the diversity with something that's underappreciated around these parts. That's a long list, to be sure, but On Fire wasn't a random choice-- I still play it all the time.

There are a lot of complaints you could throw at it. Wareham is definitely a vocalist of "limited" ability. "Strange" has lyrics about the profound subject of Twinkies. From a technical perspective, it definitely doesn't conform to standards and probably doesn't succeed on its compositional merits. It's a record I love, not in spite of its "flaws" but because of them.
02:00 PM on 05/17/10
rikfrommf
User Info.
park
02:07 PM on 05/17/10
Ari Christos
blowin on that endo
User Info.
Out of Thrice's entire catalog, Illusion of Safety made the list? I thought TAITA or anything after it would make it for sure.
02:14 PM on 05/17/10
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
Out of Thrice's entire catalog, Illusion of Safety made the list? I thought TAITA or anything after it would make it for sure.
I always say there are two schools of kids...those who started with Illusion and those who started with Artist...for me it was Illusion...I was just learning how to play guitar at the time and all I wanted to do was shred...that album was like my Cowboys From Hell...
02:16 PM on 05/17/10
kazuma_ootaro28
User Info.
Excellent list for the most part. I don't listen to Rancid that much anymore though.
02:18 PM on 05/17/10
Ari Christos
blowin on that endo
User Info.
I always say there are two schools of kids...those who started with Illusion and those who started with Artist...for me it was Illusion...I was just learning how to play guitar at the time and all I wanted to do was shred...that album was like my Cowboys From Hell...
Ah yeah I gotcha. At this moment I would have picked Beggars but I guess it's a bit too early for that haha. Good to see material from the band on the list either way. I've listened to Illusion and Identity Crisis a few times before but never gave them as much time as Thrice's other records.
02:23 PM on 05/17/10
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
Ah yeah I gotcha. At this moment I would have picked Beggars but I guess it's a bit too early for that haha. Good to see material from the band on the list either way. I've listened to Illusion and Identity Crisis a few times before but never gave them as much time as Thrice's other records.
Beggars is stellar...I like that the band has such an extensive catalog at this point that it seems everyone has "that" album...that speaks volumes about a band and their longevity...and the fact that there isn't "one" album that everyone reverts back to...
02:24 PM on 05/17/10
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
Incredible list, at least from what I've heard before. Looks like I've got a few albums to check out.
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version