Password

Album Review

Framing Hanley - A Promise to Burn Album Cover

Framing Hanley - A Promise to Burn

Reviewed by
Framing Hanley - A Promise to Burn
Record Label: Silent Majority
Release Date: May 25, 2010
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

"This song ain't about candy, but we're suckers all the same."

Whatever can be said about that verse, odds are strong that those that find it appealing are going to like Framing Hanley's new disc A Promise to Burn. Those that don't, probably won't have many good things to say. While it shouldn't be that simple, unfortunately it is. On their sophomore full-length A Promise to Burn, the Nashville quartet takes dramatic steps away from their debut in favor of a disc that seems certain to find ample placement at modern rock radio. Unfortunately the album as an art form is very short on substance.

Though it opens with a flourish–––– the soaring, anthemic cuts "The Promise" "Wake Up," and "Bittersweet Sundown," are undeniably potent –––– much of A Promise to Burn seems to rest on the laurels of the band's previous glory. Tackling a song like "Lollipop," catapulted the band into the public consciousness, but riding a hip-hop cover to glory in the end comes across as more as a gimmick than that of an ingenious novelty. Almost as if the band is airbrushing over their lack of talent.

And that's what's entirely frustrating about Framing Hanley. For starters, vocalist Kenneth Nixon can most certainly sing. His soulful crooning in "WarZone," and "Weight of the World" are the very proof that he's everything mainstream America wants in a frontman. He's confident, strong-lunged and undeniably charismatic. But Nixon's telegenic personality and good looks aren't what needs to carry this band forward. Highly skilled artistry is.

Unfortunately A Promise to Burn lacks a good chunk of it. Take for example, "Playing With Fire" and "Palace of Words." While they're aggressive, angry and sonically dense, none of them come across as sincere, genuine or deeply felt. That is to say it all feels feigned and forced. It's almost as if the band is too afraid to show their vulnerable side and instead relies on razor-sharp guitars and a thundering rhythm section to do all the talking. Sometimes less is more.

As proof of this, Framing Hanley is at its best is when Nixon finds a halcyon moment and builds on it. "Fool With Dreams" and "The Burn" are proof of that. Perhaps on their next effort, the quartet will utilize their strengths and harness their imminent star power. Until then, aside from a select few songs, this sounds like nothing more than Hoobastank 2.0.

Track Listing 1. Intro
2. The Promise *
3. Wake Up
4. Bittersweet Sundown
5. WarZone *
6. You Stupid Girl
7. Weight of the World
8. Fool With Dreams *
9. Back to Go Again *
10. Playing With Fire
11. Palace of Words
12. Photographs and Gasoline
13. The Burn *
*=choice cuts

Recommended If You Like Greenwheel, SafetySuit, Green River Ordinance, Color, Pound

Find Them Here Website
Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 30
07:09 AM on 05/18/10
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
Good review. Wasn't expecting to see a rating that high for this band.
07:09 AM on 05/18/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Good review. Wasn't expecting to see a rating that high for this band.
Kenneth Nixon can sing. If he couldn't, this would be way lower. Plus, for what it's worth, I'm one of the more generous reviewers out there.
07:11 AM on 05/18/10
cwhit412
don't ask
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Runner Runner review next?
*edit* Post #1000 bitches.
07:16 AM on 05/18/10
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
Kenneth Nixon can sing. If he couldn't, this would be way lower. Plus, for what it's worth, I'm one of the more generous reviewers out there.
True, he definitely can from what I've heard. I've noticed that, I respect you for it, haha.
07:23 AM on 05/18/10
simplejack
Soundtrack of My Silence
User Info.
Is it worth a spin?
07:24 AM on 05/18/10
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
I'm definitely way out of the loop when it comes to bands like this now. I had to smile at seeing Pound in the RIYL. "Upside Down" was catchy as shit back in the day, run-of-the-mill post-grunge or not. I didn't think anyone else even remembered them.
07:29 AM on 05/18/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
For the four songs I starred, yep. For the rest, not so much.
07:31 AM on 05/18/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I'm definitely way out of the loop when it comes to bands like this now. I had to smile at seeing Pound in the RIYL. "Upside Down" was catchy as shit back in the day, run-of-the-mill post-grunge or not. I didn't think anyone else even remembered them.
Hell yeah. I used to love them. Being that they were from Poughkeepsie, I bet they used to play Albany and RPI a ton. Glad someone else knows who they are. Whoooo!
07:43 AM on 05/18/10
B4Bronco6
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I like this band.
09:42 AM on 05/18/10
andthetruthwill
You keep company with wolves.
User Info.
Same Old Life was a pretty awesome album back in the day. Pound played Woodstock 99. I remember I used to have a signed poster from meeting them after they played. That's the only record from them I ever had. Never knew if they did anything else.
11:16 AM on 05/18/10
herestoyoufla
Still starin' down the sun
User Info.
Played a show with them. Sadly, although they were the headliners, i thought Janus and Transmit Now actually sounded better.
12:22 PM on 05/18/10
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
User Info.
this is one of those bands that appeal to the meatheads that listen seether, 3 doors down and breaking benjamin haha. can't stand this kinda music.
12:23 PM on 05/18/10
rocktwin22
Hey! That's my line!
User Info.
Hoobastank 2.0? Me likey!
12:48 PM on 05/18/10
BozzBlonde
twitter.com/adeadgod
User Info.
I'll definitely give it a few listens, but probably no more than that.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos