Username
Password
AP.net Reviews News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Reviews
Inside AP.net

Staff Reviews (5/18/10)

Posted by: Gregory Robson (05/18/10)
She wears a silly yellow hat that someone gave her when she stayed.
Staff Reviews Keane - Night Train EP (Gregory Robson)
Framing Hanley - A Promise to Burn (Gregory Robson)

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 29
07:08 AM on 05/18/10
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
You know who else wears a yellow hat? Curious George's friend, whatever his name was.
07:41 AM on 05/18/10
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Counting Crows. Great summer track/album.
07:49 AM on 05/18/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Counting Crows. Great summer track/album.
Mad props. And yes it is. Thanks for noticing.
07:53 AM on 05/18/10
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Mad props. And yes it is. Thanks for noticing.
Haha, no problem. There was one summer where that album was in practically constant rotation for me.
07:53 AM on 05/18/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Haha, no problem. There was one summer where that album was in practically constant rotation for me.
Me as well.
10:06 AM on 05/18/10
TomAce
Still Listens To Limbeck
User Info.
Me three. Isn't it great how the crows music matches the seasons? August and everything after is a great fall record, Recovering The Satelites is perfect for winter. This Desert Life is great for spring, and Hard Candy is the summer record. Not quite sure where that leaves the new one, but it's still a great record anyway.
10:07 AM on 05/18/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Me three. Isn't it great how the crows music matches the seasons? August and everything after is a great fall record, Recovering The Satelites is perfect for winter. This Desert Life is great for spring, and Hard Candy is the summer record. Not quite sure where that leaves the new one, but it's still a great record anyway.
Agree with you 100 percent.
12:18 PM on 05/18/10
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Hahaha, I've thought that before. Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings never fit that very well though, which might be part of why it's far and away my least favorite record of theirs.
12:23 PM on 05/18/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Hahaha, I've thought that before. Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings never fit that very well though, which might be part of why it's far and away my least favorite record of theirs.
I would agree with that assessment too. While there are some great songs on it, it does not hold up to their earlier releases. They need a comeback album badly.
12:28 PM on 05/18/10
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I would agree with that assessment too. While there are some great songs on it, it does not hold up to their earlier releases. They need a comeback album badly.

I always felt like they were trying too hard with the concept of the record and sort of blanked on individual songs. A few great songs from each half (Cowboys, Come Around), but there was a ton of filler, especially on the Sunday Mornings part.

August>Hard Candy>Recovering the Satellites=This Desert Life>>>Saturday Nights/Sunday Mornings
12:31 PM on 05/18/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I always felt like they were trying too hard with the concept of the record and sort of blanked on individual songs. A few great songs from each half (Cowboys, Come Around), but there was a ton of filler, especially on the Sunday Mornings part.

August>Hard Candy>Recovering the Satellites=This Desert Life>>>Saturday Nights/Sunday Mornings
Yep, Sunday Mornings was chocked with filler. I think I see the albums the same way you do. In that exact order. Even though it's not nearly that strong, This Desert Life has a special place in my heart cause it got me through a really difficult year in college. But I digress.
12:36 PM on 05/18/10
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Yep, Sunday Mornings was chocked with filler. I think I see the albums the same way you do. In that exact order. Even though it's not nearly that strong, This Desert Life has a special place in my heart cause it got me through a really difficult year in college. But I digress.

I think off Sunday Mornings I only liked Washington Square, Any Sunday Morning, Michelangelo and Come Around, plus maybe the single. Tuesday in Amsterdam borders on painful. Most of the Saturday Nights songs are decent though.
I didn't like This Desert Life as much when I first heard it, but I think it's more consistent than Satellites and has some of their absolute best songs on it. Whenever Mrs Potter comes on, I still have to just sit back and marvel at the lyrics. I just love the mood/feel of that album.
10:14 PM on 05/18/10
TomAce
Still Listens To Limbeck
User Info.
eh, give it a shot. It's got some serious rockers on it. The slow songs could have more debth, but its got some of my personal favorites on there. I can't ever hate anything Adam Duritzz does cuz I know its coming from a good place, ya know? He may not be too prolific but he's still absolutely one of the most overlooked consistant songwriters of the past 20 years.
10:26 PM on 05/18/10
TomAce
Still Listens To Limbeck
User Info.
First things first lets see some 180g colored vinyl re-issues with 7inches of bonus tracks of the entire catalog
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests