Password

Album Review
Veara - What We Left Behind Album Cover

Veara - What We Left Behind

Reviewed by
Veara - What We Left Behind
Record Label: Epitaph Records
Release Date: May 25, 2010
Pop-punk has always had a more summer feel to me, as I'm sure it does to most people. It's music you can mosh to at a good ol' Warped Tour concert or for when you're driving down the road with some friends smoking cigarettes, having a good youthful time. Hell, it just has summer written all over it. So, it's no big deal that we get a bunch of sun-smothered pop-punk every year about this time. And so the release of Georgia four-piece Veara's What We Left Behind isn't that surprising, and neither is the content found within. But that doesn't mean it's not fun. This album will fill all your summer needs, but after that you'll put the album away and end up dusting it off every couple summers to remember the good times.

"We Have a Body Count" is the perfect way to start out, with its speedy punk drums and group vocals and catchy-as-hell chorus. If this song doesn't do it for you, take the record out and stop now, because this isn't your album. "Better Off Without You" is a radio-friendly pop song filled with A Day to Remember-like guitar work. In fact, a lot of the songs on here remind me of the more punk side of ADTR. It's no surprise. Taking care of co-production duty is none other than ADTR vocalist Jeremy McKinnon. But, this is A Day to Remember for people who find A Day to Remember to be too heavy.

The good vocals and intense drumming on "Pull Your Own Weight" make it a highlight on the album. Catchiness follows on the rest of the tracks, but if you're not anything short of a mega fan of the band and/or the genre, the album's mere 30 minutes of run time can, at times, run together. But, who says summer music has to be innovative? It just has to be fun and attract the audiences, and Veara have already achieved the first, and the second will follow.

Production is great. McKinnon and Andrew Wade -- the man behind A Day to Remember and Our Last Night records -- do their jobs, and do it very well. McKinnon may have a future finding bands and transforming them to his vision. He'll be like the Chad Kroeger of the underground (now, for all of you that want to kill me for comparing the two: calm down, humor is allowed in reviews no matter how bad it is).

Lyrically, and musically for that matter, the album is similar to an A Day to Remember release, which is perhaps its greatest strength and its greatest weakness. The band isn't allowed to go off on their own and do what they could do, and the album suffers because of it. And the lack of original sound will turn away a lot of music listeners. Hell, it almost turned me away. But I look past these things for what albums really are. And this album is nothing less and nothing more than a fun, catchy summer spin. So take it for a summer drive and let it fill you with strange and up-like feelings of happiness. And when the summer's over, take it back to the dealership, do a trade-in, and then never look back.

Recommended If You LikeSummer, smoking with your lads, A Day to Remember without the metalcore, kewl tunes to listen to on the beach

Veara's Myspace
Buy It
This review is a user submitted review from Corey Hoffy. You can see all of Corey Hoffy's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21
06:00 PM on 05/30/10
more heart
Get Hurt
User Info.
Wade only did the most recent Our Last Night record and has only done pre-production on the past two A Day To Remember records. Just sayin.
06:36 PM on 05/30/10
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
If it lacks originality shouldn't the creativity rating be lower?
06:37 PM on 05/30/10
vivatoto56
Your wick won't burn away
User Info.
I keep trying to listen to this record, and then I can't.

I miss the happy synth
09:16 PM on 05/30/10
chiggles
User Info.
Good review. I have to agree on the ADTR statement, this band reminds me alot of the more punk oriented side of them.
06:38 AM on 05/31/10
Corey Hoffy
I refuse to spend life on my knees
User Info.
Wade only did the most recent Our Last Night record and has only done pre-production on the past two A Day To Remember records. Just sayin.
Oh, thanks for that. When I looked him up, it just said he produced Our Last Night and A Day to Remember. Didn't really do much more digging after that.
06:39 AM on 05/31/10
Corey Hoffy
I refuse to spend life on my knees
User Info.
If it lacks originality shouldn't the creativity rating be lower?
Yeah, but it's fun. To me, fun ties in with creativity. So I give it a 7. I don't know, I don't really pay much attention to the ratings. It's all about the content in the review, imo.
10:07 AM on 05/31/10
weirdgator
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
he also just did the new upcoming The Word Alive cd, the new upcoming Motionless In White cd, and he did acoyple songs with Versa Emerge, and he did In Fear and Faith's "Your World on Fire", and he did that most recent Burden of A Day cd
10:34 AM on 05/31/10
punchline fan
User Info.
mmmmm, love it, they are great
11:59 AM on 05/31/10
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
Yeah, but it's fun. To me, fun ties in with creativity. So I give it a 7. I don't know, I don't really pay much attention to the ratings. It's all about the content in the review, imo.
Touche, man, touche.
02:59 PM on 05/31/10
Jaimehere
Support local music!
User Info.
love this album, infectious hooks
07:55 AM on 06/01/10
Gautz
Music makes life bearable!
User Info.
Really liking so far.
09:38 AM on 06/01/10
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
at first i thought the album was just ok, till i listened to it one more time. now i think its amazing. it definitely grows on you
08:40 PM on 06/01/10
icynova
Love is easier made than kept!
User Info.
I really like it. Looking forward to seeing them in August.
09:35 AM on 06/02/10
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
"A Day to Remember without metalcore". Nice. Their last album was basically metalcore with pop-punk influences, instead of the other way around, but I see what you're saying.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos