AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Ghost Inside, The – Returners Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7
Production 9
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 9.4
Production 9.6
Creativity 8.65
Lasting Value 9.6
Reviewer Tilt 9.8
Average: 94%

Ghost Inside, The – Returners

Reviewed by: encmetalhead (06/01/10)
The Ghost InsideReturners
Record Label: Mediaskare Records
Release Date: June 8, 2010

When a band is only four to five years old and are already releasing their second full length album on a well known label, they must be doing something right. This happens to be the case for Mediaskare Records’ The Ghost Inside, who last released music in 2008 in the form of Fury And The Fallen Ones. Fast forward two years later and The Ghost Inside is set to release their highly anticipated sophomore effort Returners on June 8th. Will the listeners be pleased with what they hear though? The listeners will have to wait another ninety seconds for the proper album because of an intro track.

When the album officially starts you can hear that the vocals are on the hardcore side of the spectrum while the instrumentation has gotten more melodic over time. Jonathan Vigil’s vocals are stronger than ever and are an instant highlight of the album. This was showcased on the very first song they released, “Between The Lines.” While Vigil does not change his tone much, his vocals do not become tiresome or monotone throughout the album. Coming into this release, if you did not expect gang vocals you were kidding yourself. The gang vocals are, however, tastefully done throughout and add to the overall atmosphere of the album.

The instrumentation on this album is top notch all-around. The production team uses effects on some of the drum and guitar parts that would have maybe gone unnoticed and made those parts absolutely brilliant. A few examples of this can be found on “Chrono” and “The Conflict.” After Vigil’s vocals, the next biggest highlight has to be the drumming. It is very prominent and arranged very well in every song. The drums are never trying to do too much or over compensate either. Finally, the breakdowns are nothing really special but the guitarists do have some impressive leads and sweeps scattered throughout.

The two standout tracks on the album are “Between The Lines” and “Chrono.” “Between The Lines” features Brendan of Betrayal and is sure to incite the pit as soon as the song starts. On the other side of the coin, we have “Chrono” which features former Bury Your Dead vocalist Mat Bruso and is more in-your-face hardcore. “Chrono” may not get as much attention as “Between The Lines,” but “Chrono” is a better overall song.

The Ghost Inside have stepped their game up and everyone should take notice. The guys knew the fans were begging for this album, and they used their time wonderfully to create an album that almost every fan should love. Will Returners bring in new fans? Maybe the younger listeners who were not in the scene back in 2008, but otherwise probably not. In a June full of anticipated releases, The Ghost Inside has the month on the right track.

Recommended If You LikeFor The Fallen Dreams and Stick To Your Guns

http://www.myspace.com/theghostinside

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8.
06:30 PM on 06/11/10
blissfulrain
still here after all these years.
User Info.
Good review. I personally loved the album.
06:51 PM on 06/11/10
PlanetDahmz
User Info.
Yeah, this is one of my favorites of the year so far. I really love the middle tracks on this album especially.
07:03 PM on 06/11/10
killbrand.com
Ezekiel 36: 26-28
User Info.
Really love "Unspoken"
07:34 PM on 06/11/10
weaz45
stopthefuckincar.
User Info.
tell me now what do you stand for!!!
09:36 AM on 06/12/10
alexcreate
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
one of the best albums of the year. don't know if i like it as much as fury.

the conflict is the best song on here.

lyrics are awesome on this whole thing.
12:10 PM on 06/12/10
AbsentTruth
we will overcome
User Info.
I love this CD and the message behind many of the songs. The Conflict, Between the Lines, Unspoken, and Chrono are my favorite tracks.
04:05 PM on 06/12/10
terror_91
I feel sorry for the elephants
User Info.
Enjoyable review to read. Can't wait to listen.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS