AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
We Are the In Crowd - Guaranteed To Disagree EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 7.5
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 5.13
Musicianship 5.13
Lyrics 5.13
Production 5.13
Creativity 5.13
Lasting Value 5.13
Reviewer Tilt 5.13
Average: 51%
Inside AP.net

We Are the In Crowd - Guaranteed To Disagree EP

Reviewed by: luvsickcatalyst (06/01/10)
We Are the In Crowd Guaranteed To Disagree EP
Record Label: Hopeless Records
Release Date: June 8th, 2010

Who?

Formed just last year, Poughkeepsie’s We Are the In Crowd have enjoyed immediate success in the form of a record deal with Hopeless Records and a full-tour spot on Warped Tour 2010. They have already released a few songs from the EP, including “Never Be What You Want” and “For the Win”, as singles.

How is it?

I’m willing to bet most of you are still hung up on the “formed just last year” part. I’ve heard my fair share of MySpace bands, within months of forming, try (and somehow succeed) in gaining success and record deals off of their shoddy demos. We Are the In Crowd are not one of those bands in the slightest. In fact, they make up for their little time as a band with some of the most solid pop-rock anthems in recent memory. Opener “Carry Me Home” bursts right in with singer Tay Jardine’s powerful vocals, finally giving Hayley Williams some solid competition in the Warped Tour girl singer arena. It is the back-and-forth vocals of Jardine and guitarist/vocalist Jordan Eckes, though, that should be most noted. Armed with refreshingly honest and biting breakup lyrics set to pop song, the two create the aural equivalent to Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie dueling it out in Mr. and Mrs. Smith. The highlights include “Never Be”, which stings with lines like “Here's the part where I start to make my own damn decisions…I'll never be what you want / I wouldn't change any part of me” amidst an upbeat, insta-catchy chorus and appearance by Cartel’s Will Pugh, and “We Need A Break”, a synth-led song as catchy as anything Forever The Sickest Kids have made sans the 8th-grade level lyrics. Overall, Guaranteed may get The In Crowd coupled alongside every Hey Monday and neon-vomiting pop act on the tour this summer for their upbeat sound, but their lyrics and extraordinary dual vocals should get them recognized beyond your little sister’s scene friends as a truly talented product of the MySpace generation.

Recommended If You Likepower-pop; Hayley Williams meets The Appreciation Post; listening to your little sister's pop music without shame

Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6.
08:46 PM on 06/11/10
birtcho
is...
User Info.
Love this EP
06:56 AM on 06/12/10
hxcSTEFhxc
User Info.
To be honest, I absolutely loved the EP. It sort of blew my mind. & what makes me like them even more is that I have gotten replies from the band on facebook, myspace, and twitter. They take their fans very seriously and I admire that

See you on warped WeAre The In Crowd!!
07:09 PM on 06/13/10
devonhurt
Better Seasick than Landlocked
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Catchy as hell, definitely. But I totally disagree with the statement about their lyrics. To me, they're by far the weakest part of the album. Not enough to make it unlistenable or anything, but some of the lines are just awful... "you're not quite satan but I really think I hate you.."
11:07 PM on 06/14/10
roughroads
Sometimes you gotta pee in the sink
User Info.
not for me, but I can see the appeal.
10:07 PM on 08/04/10
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
User Info.
Catchy as hell, definitely. But I totally disagree with the statement about their lyrics. To me, they're by far the weakest part of the album. Not enough to make it unlistenable or anything, but some of the lines are just awful... "you're not quite satan but I really think I hate you.."
Yeah, that one line made me cringe quite a bit, I completely agree. But the sad part is most of their lyrics are pretty smart for their genre. The pop-rock scene is currently populated with Hey Monday, We The Kings, and the like that churn out the same cheesy lyrics about love and feeling like heavenly bubblegum waterfalls and fireflies. Their lyrics have bite and honesty in them, which should be given some merit. They're not exceptional by any means, but I like the honesty.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests