AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Valaska - Valaska EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8.25
Production 9.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 8.25
Production 9.5
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Average: 90%
Inside AP.net

Valaska - Valaska EP

Reviewed by: Keagan Ilvonen (06/14/10)
Valaska - Valaska EP
Release Date: June 8th, 2010
Label: Unsigned

Who?

Valaska is the one man project of Dave Valdez from Chicago, Illinois. He started the project in 2009 and in no time started writing and recorded his debut Self Titled EP which was produced by Aaron Marsh. Just by association Valaska deserves your attention, but musically it deserves a lot more.

How is it?

There are few acts in the scene that are able to create moving tunes that are able to turn heads and ears with a voice, piano and gorgeous string arrangements. But Valaska is already threatening to be one. “Seasons” starts the album with a slow acoustic/piano ballad which sounds like it could have been a softer track from You Are My Sunshine. Valdez showcases his soothing vocals on “Life Without You” creating enchanting layered harmonies over appropriately placed orchestrated strings that pull at your every emotion. “Maverick” is the true gem throughout the whole EP. As Valdez sings “As you walk all by yourself / do you long for somebody else / someone to lend a heart on their own / to ensure you’re not alone” you know something special is upon you, while he draws a close comparison to heartfelt Copeland of the past. A simple but full piano line, full orchestration and guest vocals from another up and comer, Holly Ann complete this masterpiece in true form. Valaska closes with “Sight and Sound” following in the same steps as the other tracks but bringing everything to a peaceful end.

At the end of the day two things come to mind when this album is finished. Aaron Marsh’s production is top notch and is something to look forward to in the future. And that Valaska is a name to watch out for because there are few artists making music of this caliber today. Whether it sounds like it or isn’t your cup of tea, it’s too tempting to pass up on. Dave Valdez is the real deal and people should take notice. With the absence of Copeland in everyone’s lives, Valaska seems to be the perfect fix for your late night cravings.

Recommended If You LikeJeremy Larson, Copeland, Sleeping At Last, Deas Vail, Soothing piano and strings

Additional LinksMyspace - Valaska - Bandcamp - Amazon MP3 - iTunes

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
12:43 AM on 06/14/10
aradiantsunrise
stuff
User Info.
Aaron Marsh produced this? Another reason why I love this.
01:05 AM on 06/14/10
introduction
You're not real musician!
User Info.
I don't think he's quite there yet, but I could certainly see this acting as a replacement for Copeland for now.
05:55 AM on 06/14/10
AdmissionRegret
Fightin' Round The World
User Info.
There is definitely a lot of potential here, but I think his voice is very weak & I'm not a huge fan of the production either.
08:00 AM on 06/14/10
beazer32
User Info.
I'm really liking this. I always love Marsh's string arrangements (I'm assuming he did them on this too).
09:25 AM on 06/15/10
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
Downloaded this EP off Amazon this morning. It's so good! Another production gem for Aaron Marsh.
11:15 AM on 06/15/10
HeavenResign
Registered Member
User Info.
I enjoyed this, quite a high score though. Thanks for posting it.
10:14 PM on 06/15/10
White
A masochist cannibal dining alone.
User Info.
Larson, Deas Vail, and Copeland >>> Valaska.

Especially Larson. Be careful who put in the same category with Him.
12:39 PM on 06/16/10
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Larson, Deas Vail, and Copeland >>> Valaska.

Especially Larson. Be careful who put in the same category with Him.
? Obviously. It's called a RIYL to draw peoples attention, not put them in the same category.
02:48 PM on 06/16/10
White
A masochist cannibal dining alone.
User Info.
? Obviously. It's called a RIYL to draw peoples attention, not put them in the same category.
WHAT PART OF "BE CAREFUL" DIDN'T YOU UNDERSTAND?

x

(I"m only screwing around, plz dun b& me)
09:33 PM on 06/16/10
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
User Info.
I don't think he's quite there yet, but I could certainly see this acting as a replacement for Copeland for now.
Agreed. Songs get kind of dull after a while, so he needs to work on making his slower songs stand out.
08:37 AM on 06/17/10
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
Agreed. Songs get kind of dull after a while, so he needs to work on making his slower songs stand out.
True, but if you think about it, he just started this songwriting project last year, and he's already on his way to becoming quite a special artist. As far as slower jams, "Maverick" is the best song on this EP, and it's the slowest jam also. The piano intro really stands out.
10:49 AM on 06/17/10
f00te
I always have ship wreck dreams.
User Info.
i need to check this out
05:48 PM on 06/22/10
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
If he keeps working with Aaron he won't have to worry about anything.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums