AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Rosaline, The - The Vitality Theory Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 9
Production 10
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 93%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 9.5
Production 9
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 96%

Rosaline, The - The Vitality Theory

Reviewed by: encmetalhead (06/28/10)
Rosaline - The Vitality Theory
Record Label: Good Fight
Release Date: July 20, 2010

Paul Conroy and Carl Severson have a knack of finding up-and-comers in the music scene. After Ferret was bought out, they decided to start Good Fight Music. Each of the bands on Good Fight Music are newcomers to the game and could be huge in a couple of years if they make the right moves. Rosaline released their debut of Eulogy records back in 2009. They are back this year to release The Vitality Theory on Good Fight Music. So what does Rosaline have in store for us on their sophomore release?

The first thing the listener will notice is the clean vocals. At first, they may seem whiny and inexperienced, but as you listen through the album you will find that they fit the music and style amazingly. They also have the unique factor to them, as no one else sings like Cody does. You then find on the opening of “London Lost Its Fog” some great ambient guitar work. This song was the best choice to release in promotion of the album as it has a balanced dose of screaming and singing with some superb drumming and guitar work. It also shows their unique sound and brings the listener into their world.

When the third song starts, “Model Ships,” you already have three different song types and yet you know they are from the same band. “Model Ships” has been the softest song of the three, but still has the metal influence and screaming in it. The guys in Rosaline are playing honest music that is just very spastic, but also very tactical. They know that most albums today are held back by the monotone bug, so they keep changing up their base sound to keep the listener invested into the album. This is helped by the skilled guitarists who have written some spectacular guitar riffs. The first breakdown that I have heard is found on the fifth track, “Face Like Thunder,” and it is superbly placed in the album.

One of the biggest pluses on this album is the ambient sound of the band. You really do not see that often, most bands just decide to use keyboards and synth. It is really sad to see as ambient, if used correctly, makes an album and song that much better. “It’s Just Better For Everyone” is a prime example of a great ambient presence on a song. “Repeat After Me!” is one of the most ambitious songs, as it goes without guitars or drums for over two minutes, yet it works. It is also one of the only songs to not have screaming. The drummer and bassist are mostly in the background of this album with everything else going on, but they provide a great rhythm section for the album to be based on.

The Vitality Theory has something for everyone to love. This album should hopefully gain the band at least some recognition, but bands that do not fit the mold usually do not get the recognition they deserve. A band and album like this comes along very rarely and music listeners should take note and support the band. Without bands pushing the boundaries, we may be overrun with the 3OH!3s and Brokencydes of the world. This album is an album of the year AND sleeper album of the year contender.

Recommended If You LikeUnderOath, Thursday, Hopesfall

http://www.myspace.com/rosaline

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
07:45 AM on 07/02/10
Sheluligans
Focus on the horizon.
User Info.
Nice review. Now I'm excited to hear this.
10:10 AM on 07/02/10
chiggles
User Info.
I listened to one new song and just kinda thought it was okay.
11:44 AM on 07/02/10
a nocturnal day
this ain't a game
User Info.
Good review. I can't wait till this releases!" London Lost Its Fog" sounds awesome and the screaming vocals are amazing.
02:31 PM on 07/02/10
encmetalhead
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Nice review. Now I'm excited to hear this.
Pre-Order it or buy it the first week it comes out. WELL worth it.
I listened to one new song and just kinda thought it was okay.
Keep listening to it. It'll grow on you :)
Good review. I can't wait till this releases!" London Lost Its Fog" sounds awesome and the screaming vocals are amazing.
like button
08:21 PM on 07/02/10
chiggles
User Info.
I feel as if the new singer tries to hard to sound like the original.
05:18 PM on 07/13/10
psmpublicity
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I feel as though this album is going to be just like the rest, a coaster to hold my beer as I listen to good music.
04:03 PM on 07/24/10
White
A masochist cannibal dining alone.
User Info.
Miss the old singer I do.
08:34 PM on 08/04/10
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
Kinda dissapointed with this album. The great thing about A Constant North was that it didn't fit the hardcore sterotypes. The song structures flowed more freely, but on TVT they fall into the trap of conforming in doing the cookie monster growls in Face Like Thunder that they simply don't need to do. There aren't any songs like Culture Wars or In True Pisces Fashion that really push the boundaries of of post hardcore. TVT isn't a bad record, but it doesn't separate Rosaline from the pack like A Constant North did.
06:58 PM on 11/26/10
PureBlueSF
ur not even pop punk
User Info.
There were a couple of really good songs on this, but as a whole I liked A Constant North more.

The low growls in Face Like Thunder are hilariously awful.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests