Password

Album Review

American Mantra - Foreign EP Album Cover

American Mantra - Foreign EP

Reviewed by
American Mantra - Foreign EP
Release Date: October 24, 2009
Record Label: Unsigned
If there could be one word to describe the Texas local scene, it would be "stale". Thanks to the Internet, anyone with enough friends thinks they can pick up an instrument and become the next Attack Attack! or Bring Me The Horizon, therefore spawning an infinite number of whatever-core bands. Few bands have managed to stand out of this music scene, and even less have been able to redefine it altogether. Pop in American Mantra's Foreign EP and very quickly you'll forget the Texas quartet (now quintet) had anything to do with this stale scene.

The opener "Pugnaphilia" quickly sweeps you off your feet with technical yet tasteful soloing from lead guitarist Alex Balash. One thing you'll notice right off the bat is that every instrument in the band seems to stick out and showcase their talent, yet still maintain the oneness needed to keep the listener enticed. Lead vocalist Austin Radford (ex-Memphis May Fire bassist) delivers tasteful hooks throughout every song and has a voice nearly impossible to compare to others. What stands out to me the most though is the bass, delivered by Dustin Beck. While most bands have you focusing primarily on vocals or guitars, you'll find yourself bobbing your head along to the bass in "Shadow Of The Statue" (which by the way, you will NOT be able to get out of your head once you hear it). American Mantra has found the perfect blend between intensity, melody, and smoothness, and never fails to keep you on your toes, best proven in the third song, "The Misbehavors".

Give the Foreign EP a chance and chances are it will not leave your CD player, iPod, or whatever the kids use these days. After playing the Ernie Ball stage at the 2010 Dallas Warped Tour date (and outplaying many of the national acts, I might add), the addition of rhythm guitarist/vocalist Joseph Veazie, and recording with Geoff Rockwell, American Mantra has proven that they are destined for greatness, and when you hear Foreign, you won't be able to keep them off of your mind.

Recommended If You LikeClosure In Moscow, Head Automatica, Dance Gavin Dance
This review is a user submitted review from Dustin Harkins. You can see all of Dustin Harkins's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
12:28 AM on 07/09/10
Palestinian
Unregistered User
User Info.
With those RIYLs, I must check these guys out.
01:03 AM on 07/09/10
Dustin Harkins
I hate the Dolphins defense
User Info.
With those RIYLs, I must check these guys out.
You won't regret it, such a great band.
10:04 AM on 07/09/10
blueskybluesguy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The music works for baby boomers as well as middle schoolers. Their live show is solid and the addition of an additional guitarist/volcalist has made it even better. They're not just a studio creation. Really good band. Worth seeing.
12:30 PM on 07/09/10
Dirge07
...coitus?
User Info.
Great review man, muchos gracias senior.
04:44 PM on 07/09/10
Dustin Harkins
User Info.
The music works for baby boomers as well as middle schoolers. Their live show is solid and the addition of an additional guitarist/volcalist has made it even better. They're not just a studio creation. Really good band. Worth seeing.
Yeah definitely, their live show is so great, especially with Joey. Their new EP is gonna be awesome.
04:45 PM on 07/09/10
Dustin Harkins
User Info.
Great review man, muchos gracias senior.
No no no, thank YOU my friend.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version