Password

Album Review
Wolf Parade - Expo 86 Album Cover

Wolf Parade - Expo 86

Reviewed by
Wolf Parade - Expo 86
Record Label: Sup Pop
Release Date: June 29, 2010

This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Releasing a blistering debut and following it up these days can certainly be tough. One minute you're the hot new thing. The next minute, some poor, bored, efficiency living youngster figures out the next best manipulation on his laptop that has us all clapping along and forgetting you ever existed only a few months earlier. Sure, we'll constantly talk about how amazing your first record was, but we all know that's followed up by a general disappointment in your band's later releases.

At Mount Zoomer was that kind of record for Wolf Parade. In no way was it a bad execution of sorts, it just didn't hook us the way Apologies to the Queen Mary captured our attention with rhythmically appealing choruses, synth lines and gritty rock. For a minute there, some of us became naysayers of the band we once thought poise to be the next great standout rock act.

The charm is in the third time with Expo 86. In fact, the band not only have gotten a bit of their bite back, they also leveled it out with some of the direction taken with Zoomer. Opener "Cloud Shadow of the Mountain" is a post-punk throwback laden with keys and driving at least 10 miles over the limit. Surprisingly, we don't see this drive again until the album closes with "Cave-O-Sapien," a beautiful, heartfelt pop gem to close on a positive beat.

Most of the meat of the album lies in slower rides such as "Little Golden Age" and "Palm Road." Where Zoomer failed on toning down the energy last time around and losing an edge, they've figured out that a decrease in said speed isn't lost if backed by the necessary creative rhythms and vocal hooks. "Yulia" builds to the closest ballad since Apologies' "Same Ghost Every Night," but with a way dancier ending. Let's not forget the club bopping "Ghost Pressure" sitting as a nice intermission to the album - not too overwhelming, but fondly captivating.

Wolf Parade may have hit a slump for some of us with their last effort, but much of Expo 86 makes up for it. There are a few tracks worth skipping over to the hookier numbers on the album, but what little filler there exist doesn't leave much to gripe about. The album is a perfect mixture of the band's first two records, blended with an equal part of their rock swagger and part their post-electro swing.

Track Listing1. Cloud Shadow on The Mountain*
2. Palm Road
3. What Did My Lover Say? (It Always Had to Go This Way?)
4. Little Golden Age*
5. In the Direction of the Moon
6. Ghost Pressure
7. Pobody's Nerfect
8. Two Men in New Tuxedos*
9. Oh You, Old Thing
10. Yulia*
11. Cave-O-Sapien

*key tracks

Recommended If You LikeSunset Rubdown's Dragonslayer; Wire's Chairs Missing; Talking Heads' More Songs About Buildings and Food

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
08:31 AM on 07/19/10
J.M Danis
User Info.
Nice review. This album is great! They kicked off their tour in Montreal and i went to see them. It was fantastic.
08:32 AM on 07/19/10
jco3
Oh, hello there, internet.
User Info.
Unfortunately for these dudes, I always get them confused with Wolfmother, tis a shame. I will be listening, though.

PS: After reading through your reviews, you just might be my favorite reviewer on this site. Congratulations!!!
09:20 AM on 07/19/10
mymusicismylife
Disgruntled wheat thins enthusiast
User Info.
Great review. I love this album, and have been jamming it since I got it. Cloud Shadow on the Mountain, Ghost Pressure, Pobody's Nerfect, Yulia, and Cave-O-Sapien are all excellent tracks, and my favorite cuts. A great album overall.
03:40 PM on 07/19/10
CoheedForever
The Afterman
User Info.
Great album!!!
06:12 PM on 07/19/10
birtcho
is...
User Info.
Love the artwork
09:54 AM on 07/22/10
jem6890
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
spot on review i've been following these guys for a while and it seems that they get better and more refined with each album. there are some really great tracks like yulia.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos