AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

[The] Slowest Runner [in all the World] - We,... Album Cover

[The] Slowest Runner [in all the World] - We,...

Reviewed by
[The] Slowest Runner [in all the World] - We, Burning Giraffes
Record Label: Future Recordings
Release Date: June 30, 2010
At roughly one hour long, We, Burning Giraffes is a labyrinth. It’s one of those albums where your perception of its quality is dependent on the amount of time you spend with it. At worst, it’s a boring instrumental record; at best, a world teeming with intricacies. But honestly, to be too lazy to know it as anything short of the latter is almost tragic – We, Burning Giraffes is one of the most daring experimental post-rock works of the year.

[The] Slowest Runner [in all the World], as they like to be punctuated, is a six-piece from Brooklyn, New York that bills themselves as a “post-baroque” act. It’s not hard to see why; on We, Burning Giraffes, they often wear a classical influence on their sleeves, like in the opening minutes of “Aembers/Guggenheim,” which sound like a passage from Beethoven’s “Moonlight Sonata” (though you can also hear hints of Jeff Buckley’s version of “Hallelujah”). But they’re much more than just an old fashioned The Ascent of Everest, as they show in “Zoe Machete Control’s” jazzy, barista-mood keys, which eventually evolve into loud and fuzzy guitars, and in the “[Oscillation]” series, which take a page from ambient drone label mates We All Inherit the Moon. And “We, Burning Giraffes” shows they know how to throw a majestic, standout climax on a commonplace post-rock build. So the band has no shortage of talent, and in multiple facets of the instrumental trade, too.

The stuff they write isn’t exactly built for the movies. Of course, there are a few cinematic moments: The closing minutes of “Aembers/Guggenheim” are something a skeleton could decay to, and “She died in a fit of apoplexy.’s” sunny violin break is simply ceremonious. But for the most part, the music is written for the instrumental enthusiast, as a lot of the string melodies and song structures aren’t straightforward in terms of accessibility. Yet the most beautiful things in life are often the ones that take time to grow on you, and We, Burning Giraffes is a confirmation. It’s hard to stop listening to the orchestral fabric of “Marsupial Patterns” or “Zoe Machete Control’s” noisy fadeout once they become familiar, but you have to give it time.

There’s a certain enduring quality that blankets each track – the kind that makes you think people in the future will come back to We, Burning Giraffes when they study the “post-” greats. Every note is crafted with artistic precision – and often, innovation – in mind. And that’s just what a quickly staling niche is in need of, isn’t it? If this is “post-baroque,” then we all need more of it in our lives.

Recommended If You LikeGodspeed You! Black Emperor, The Ascent of Everest, Yndi Halda, Caspian

Stream the album here.

Find the band on Myspace.
This review is a user submitted review from Matthew Tsai. You can see all of Matthew Tsai's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 26
12:25 PM on 07/20/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I'm digging this trend of more Tsai commentary. Let's keep the train rolling!
12:42 PM on 07/20/10
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
I'm digging this trend of more Tsai commentary. Let's keep the train rolling!
Will do.

01:23 PM on 07/20/10
Tec Mason
Christian. Market Anarchist.
User Info.
Is there any way to fix instrumental albums on the review page so the score doesn't show up as lower than it really is?
06:51 PM on 07/20/10
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
Is there any way to fix instrumental albums on the review page so the score doesn't show up as lower than it really is?
It's been that way for as long as I can remember, so I'm not sure... I know the low scores can be confusing haha
11:13 PM on 07/20/10
bluecrunchy
To shreds, you say.
User Info.
I can tell I'm going to like this based on the review alone.
11:15 PM on 07/20/10
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
User Info.
This is a really great review, and as someone that's just starting to delve into post-rock, I'm gonna be sure to check this out.
11:30 PM on 07/20/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Dang, looks like I need to hear this.
12:08 AM on 07/21/10
shrem
@Elycean
User Info.
Heard "Zoe Machete Control" on their Myspace. Blown away. Great review!
12:30 AM on 07/21/10
Time Bomb Clock
User Info.
Just sat down and gave the stream a run through.... Amazing music to chill out to.
07:11 AM on 07/21/10
yellowhouse
there's a lot of beauty, sometimes
User Info.
Sounds like a good album. But the name of this band annoys me for some reason.
09:23 AM on 07/21/10
danielinskeep
i can spell confusion with a K.
User Info.
Reminds me of The Fastest Kid Alive.
09:25 AM on 07/21/10
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
So stoked people are digging this!
09:51 AM on 07/21/10
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Nice write-up. Definitely checking out the stream.
10:10 AM on 07/21/10
Elsewhere
User Info.
This is pretty great! Awesome name for a band and album too.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos