Password

Album Review

Rufio - Anybody Out There Album Cover

Rufio - Anybody Out There

Reviewed by
Rufio - Anybody Out There
Release Date: July 27, 2010
Record Label: The Militia Group
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
When I read that Rufio were releasing a new full-length record, "A Simple Line" doubled its play total in my iTunes in one night. My favorite song off of the band's 2005 opus The Comfort of Home, "A Simple Line" was part of the soundtracks to my summers that featured Jack's Mannequin, The Format, Yellowcard, and lots of songs off of Sticks and Stones. And I'll be honest - The Comfort of Home is the only Rufio album I'm comfortably familiar with. So when Anybody Out There was slated for an August release date, I was just excited for a pop punk release that would be a throwback to the carefree vibes of summers past. It's not like the genre has starved me lately, but why wouldn't I want a little extra icing on my cake?

As has been the case with 2010, and as I should grow to expect as this year goes on, Rufio's latest output and second release for The Militia Group pulled the rug out from under me right from the start. Anybody Out There is an appropriate name for this record: being their first full-length effort in five years, Rufio has good reason to wonder if people will still remember them and care about this release. But with twelve lightweight songs of catchy pop punk, Rufio are guaranteed to reclaim all of their old listeners and gain some new ones.

Opener "Little World" sets the tone right from the very beginning by demonstrating the three most essential notable aspects of this record. For me, the first is the technical guitar work on this album. Clark Domae and Scott Sellers tear things up on this record and aren't afraid to put in a few face-melting licks where other bands might fall flat and use less stellar fills. The next obvious favorable aspect of this record is the fine production job that Sellers and the rest of Rufio combined with Jon Berry to do. The production really lends itself to the sound because it accentuates the entertaining guitar work while not drowning out the vocals, which brings us to the third piece of the puzzle. Sellers' pipes on Anybody Out There are stronger than ever, tying everything together with clear, clean, and catchy vocals. "Little World" exemplifies each of these parts of Rufio's sound, all of which contribute to the success of Anybody Out There.

There are, however, some regions where Rufio are weaker than some of their peers. The lyrics aren't very strong - but honestly, how many times do we have to go through the argument that you're not listening to pop punk to become inspired to write a sonnet? There isn't a lot of variability on this record, but the lack of curveballs throughout the record doesn't prove to be a negative. Rufio play the fast-paced, hook-laden, hit-and-run verse-chorus-bridge game extremely well, and recognize that in a structure is where they shine. What this does result in is not much commentary for a record that is slowly finding its niche among my highly praised pop punk releases of the year. There are, however, a few standouts.

Right in the middle of Anybody Out There, Rufio lay down a double shot of "Gold & Silver" followed by the title track. "Gold & Silver" features an excellent effort by Sellers in the chorus, while "Anybody Out There" is the strongest and catchiest track on the album. Fooling you with an acoustic introduction, Rufio then launch into a high-tempo guitar onslaught before a sing-along chorus. The synth lines buried on "The Loneliest" provide another highlight on this record, following the pattern that my favorite songs on the record are those that have Rufio running around in organized chaos. The fastest-paced tracks are the most enjoyable for me and have already been subject to a few late-night car rides. Something tells me that "Under 18", "Deep End", and "Run" (especially "Run") are going to have no problem making their way onto a few mix tapes.

The obligatory reflective, mid-tempo closer is present here as well with "Moonshine". Rufio manage to keep things relatively normal and the cheesiness in the lyrics is somewhat charming, although this is probably the weakest track on the record. If anything, that just stresses the lack of any excessive filler on Anybody Out There. Rufio have made a triumphant return with Anybody Out There, and this four-star release should make new and old fans happy to have them back on board.

Recommended If You Likeold Rufio, early decade pop punk, the accessibility of All Time Low's Nothing Personal with a touch of good music
Download These First"Little World", "Under 18", "Anybody Out There", "The Loneliest"
Bare Essentials1. Little World
2. Drunk In Love
3. Under 18
4. What You Wanna Hear
5. Deep End
6. Gold & Silver
7. Anybody Out There
8. All That Lasts
9. This I Swear
10. The Loneliest
11. Run
12. Moonshine
Produced By: Scott Sellers, Rufio, and Jon Berry; Run Time: 36 minutes, 24 seconds
Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 64
02:22 AM on 07/28/10
birtcho
is...
User Info.
Great review. This album has been exactly what I've been needing. Only song I dont really like is Deep End. Kind of reminds me of a slightly better Good Charlotte
02:51 AM on 07/28/10
vivatoto56
Importer/Exporter
User Info.
I agree...lyrics are definitely your classic simple pop punk.

But dammit Rufio can make it work.

Gold and Silver is my favorite track, Moonshine coming in a close second.
02:57 AM on 07/28/10
Paulb-182
opentofire.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Never really cared for Comfort Of Home. Will check this out all the same. Rufio were and are definitely one of my favourite pop punk bands.
03:03 AM on 07/28/10
EchoPark
promesas son sombras
User Info.
Great review Thomas. If you get the chance, you must listen to their 1st 2 albums as well. They are probably more technical and solid than TCOH.
03:22 AM on 07/28/10
vivatoto56
Importer/Exporter
User Info.
Great review Thomas. If you get the chance, you must listen to their 1st 2 albums as well. They are probably more technical and solid than TCOH.
Perhaps I Suppose is one of my favorite albums.

Road To Recovery is just brilliant.
03:46 AM on 07/28/10
EchoPark
promesas son sombras
User Info.
Perhaps I Suppose is one of my favorite albums.

Road To Recovery is just brilliant.
Indeed. That intro bassline is killer.
03:53 AM on 07/28/10
cuzimlefthanded
Registered Member
User Info.
Haha it seems like whenever there's an Asian guitarist in a band, he just happens to shred like no other (Rufio, Thrice, Dragonforce).

Good review, good album. It's just the type of music that I've been looking for while checking out new releases.
04:52 AM on 07/28/10
AussieBoy
User Info.
is it really produced by Jon Berry???
thats odd, thought he wasnt even in the band anymore
06:40 AM on 07/28/10
Gautz
Music makes life bearable!
User Info.
Can't get enough of this album at the mo.
Good review as always Thomas.
06:51 AM on 07/28/10
CyberInferno
Tech Round-up Author,Chipotle Lover
User Info.
Good review, though I have to say I cringed a little when I read "And I'll be honest - The Comfort of Home is the only Rufio album I'm comfortably familiar with."
07:11 AM on 07/28/10
JJW319
last.fm/user/JJW319
User Info.
yay! cant wait to get this...
07:21 AM on 07/28/10
slimfenix182
Registered Member
User Info.
is it really produced by Jon Berry???
thats odd, thought he wasnt even in the band anymore

he isnt, he just produced it. when I saw that in the liner notes, I was like "why the hell arent you on this record, Jon??" haha.
07:24 AM on 07/28/10
slimfenix182
Registered Member
User Info.

this doesnt touch any previous album in technicality. hell, nothing will ever touch the opening riff on Perhaps... goosebumps haha. I hope this cd grows on me.
07:29 AM on 07/28/10
ramomcferno
It Only Gets Better
User Info.
I miss the old guys but not because of the music. They seemed like good dudes. The CD is awesome and I am glad they are back...now to see them live.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos