Password

Album Review
Kiss Kiss - Reality VS. The Optimist Album Cover

Kiss Kiss - Reality VS. The Optimist

Reviewed by
Kiss Kiss - Reality VS. The Optimist
Label: Eyeball Records
Release Date: February 6th, 2007

SDFJSDFHSLDF!!!! Sorry, I had to type something that had as much furious energy as this album does. Kiss Kiss is a part of what I like to call the Eyeball revival, in other words, one of 'those" bands that is going to bring the label to the top. 2007 is definitely the year for the label, because unlike in 1999 and 2002, the label is bigger and are less likely to lose their talent to major label and preying indie labels. Kiss Kiss is an indie/experimental band out of Milton, New York. They are unique in the fact that they have a electric violin player, and a live show thats second to few. Their debut full length, Reality Vs. The Optimist was released early this year, and was overlooked by too many. The truth is, this album should be a release people remember this year, and for years to come. Why? I'll explain.

What I like about this record is how it progresses. It starts off real slow, most likely to lure you in, and then once it has you in its clutches, it goes ahead and tears you apart. These slow tracks, are "Janet" and "Iris And Eye", the first two tracks on this adventure. In the beginning, there is nothing, just some quiet screechings and piano that eventually starts and picks up a little bit, the quiet voice of the talented Joshua Benash is what made me a believer. "Iris And Eye" could be the theme song for a deranged serial killer, and that's where you really start to feel the energy of this band, taking influence from bands like Cursive. The band doesn't start using the violin as a lead instrument until "Sixth Sense", but really doesn't show how deranged everything can sound until "Machines", which adds a cello, trumpet, trombone, and tuba player. "Satellite" brightens up the music, but it doesn't take long for them to turn crazy with lyrics like "Please, Oh Let Me Grab Hold Of My Mind/ The Images Prove Non Linear Time/ One Moment I'm Me/ The Next I Am Miss Audrey Wyde / Please Let Me Go / Please Let Me Deny".

Probably the most unsound track on the whole record is "Dress Up" that even brings in a guest to play the chainsaw (as it says in the notes of the cd). "My mother says you were / a body in the rain / a rotting corpse found in the gallows / I want to take you home / I want to play dress up / I want to show you Off!/ Oh! Oh!". The first thing that came to my mind when I heard "The Cats In The House" is the movie Hocus Pocus, it's just so classic sounding, and Benash goes from light singing to absolute screaming. "Stay The Day", the final track, slows things down once again, but it's a different mood than the beginning, it's almost like an aftermath song. Something you'd hear in the background of a movie when someone dies or some huge disaster is taking place (Titanic?). All in all, Reality Vs. The Optimist is probably the most versatile and rabid cd you will hear all year. It tells a story that sounds like it could be composed by Dr. Frankenstein himself. What ever angle you take this record from, it'll catch you off guard. It will end up being something you weren't expecting, and not in a bad way. What they do, they do well, they play well, the write well, they sing and shout well. Kiss Kiss (hopefully) will be one of "those" bands that brings the label to the top, and this is only the beginning.

Recommended If You LikeThe talent of Cursive, the quirky lyrics of Say Anything, high energy, musicals
Additional InformationTrack Listing
1. Janet
2. Iris And Eye
3. Sixth Sense
4. A Conch To The Ear
5. Machines
6. Satellite
7. Dress Up
8. The Friend Who Bends His Bolts At Fiends
9. The Cats In Your House
10. The Most Beautiful Birth Ever Endured
11. Vagabound
12. Stay The Day

Myspace ; Order the album
This review is a user submitted review from Nathan Lint. You can see all of Nathan Lint's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 31
12:58 PM on 07/31/07
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
Really really good album..

Great review.
01:05 PM on 07/31/07
Nathan Lint
That's the real joke
User Info.
Really really good album..

Great review.

I really enjoy this record, and was surprised as hell it didn't have a review.
02:30 PM on 07/31/07
Praetor
as we melt, let's make no noise.
User Info.
I agree with everything about this review except for one thing - Eyeball is already on top for me, haha.
06:04 PM on 07/31/07
Nathan Lint
That's the real joke
User Info.
I agree with everything about this review except for one thing - Eyeball is already on top for me, haha.

When you put them up to powerhouses like Vagrant and FBR, sales wise, they're nothing. Imagine how big this label would be if Thursday and My Chem were still on the label.
09:35 PM on 07/31/07
jasoneyeball
such a registered user
User Info.
It makes me so happy to know that others feel the same way I do about this band. Thank you!
07:06 AM on 08/01/07
FreeSpirit
Oh hey! =)
User Info.
Going Home is another band under Eyeball that is pretty decent.
10:18 AM on 08/01/07
SweetThye
esta noche sera mia
User Info.
Love this band. So unique.
10:37 AM on 08/01/07
zombiebrains
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is seriously one of the most fantastic albums. Great review.
10:51 AM on 08/01/07
Coby won Kenobi
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yeah this review is great! it really portrays the energy and tension of the album... I give it two thumbs up
11:03 AM on 08/01/07
vandalroyale
Down and almost out
User Info.
I really really tried to like this album on a level that you did, but just couoldn't...sorry...good review though...makes me want to give it another try
11:35 AM on 08/01/07
klogar
and hips are for running
User Info.
awesome review, awesome album!
they're coming here friday for a show, but i can't go. i'm so bummed. :(
11:38 AM on 08/01/07
tygergolf
User Info.
one helluva cd. having listened to it in snippits before, i hadn't enjoyed their slower stuff; however, as a whole album, it makes a whole lot of sense and just makes the faster stuff (machines, sattelite, etc) sound that much more important.
11:45 AM on 08/01/07
ishotthepilot
black&blue or gold?
User Info.
yeah this album is going on my Top 10 for the year, i believe :)
11:52 AM on 08/01/07
JerrysKid
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
good review....they're really good people...like 'em all

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT