AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Scene Aesthetic, The - Self-Titled Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 6.75
Lyrics 6.25
Production 7.75
Creativity 5.5
Lasting Value 5.75
Reviewer Tilt 6.5
Final Verdict: 66%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.58
Musicianship 8.17
Lyrics 8.61
Production 8.19
Creativity 7.67
Lasting Value 7.78
Reviewer Tilt 8.08
Average: 82%
Inside AP.net

Scene Aesthetic, The - Self-Titled

Reviewed by: Julia Conny (08/04/07)
The Scene AestheticThe Scene Aesthetic
Record Label: dW Records
Release Date: July 10th, 2007

From first glace, The Scene Aesthetic’s story follows with ease: Two friends start writing music together, target girlfriends/girls as inspiration, and swindle Myspace as their promotional bitch. The band alternates between acoustic lovin’ and electric lovin’ on their newest self-titled full-length but both lines of attack eminent a like front-shelf puppy-love. Most of the tracks are remastered from the band’s debut, Building Homes From What We’ve Known, with the exception of three new numbers – “Don’t Be That Note I Can’t Hold,” “To The Steadfast” and “Heavy Lies The Crown.” For areas of The Scene Aesthetic, the heart-on-sleeve poetry is good company. For other areas of The Scene Aesthetic, the heart-on-sleeve poetry makes me cringe like a Precious Moments catalog. There are only so many serenades and candlelit dinners I can sit through before I start getting restless, and that’s where I stand with the sophomore release as a whole.

But dueling singers Eric Bowley and Andrew de Torres are more interesting than that. Smoky-breathed Bowley is serving his religious duties on a LDS mission and nasally sharp de Torres is playing on with his funkbox dance pop group Danger:Radio. When both are working with TSA, their chemistry is a sure thing. A symbiotic relationship, Bowley and de Torres both put out and it wouldn’t be as saccharine with just one crooner. On “Heavy Lies The Crown” and the closer “Beauty In The Breakdown (Acoustic)” – the first song the band ever wrote - the two trade off the microphone duties, occasionally intertwining for a double-team move. The Scene Aesthetic plays into this partner-in-crime technique all throughout, and it gives the album an extra tier of muscle.

These sturdy two-part vocals do all they can to make up for the album instrumentally, which feels very generic and predictable on both the acoustic and not acoustic tracks. There are times where this works for TSA, like on the handclap, harmonica, and twanging arrangements of “To The Steadfast” or the upbeat “So Peter, You’ve Become A Pirate,” but this rests a lot of responsibility of Bowley and de Torres. This wouldn’t be such a huge problem if their music wasn’t so polite and their lyrics weren’t so vague. So let’s be honest here: The Scene Asethetic is cute and so are the songs the band recorded/remastered. That’s what they are good at. Just so there are no surprises, expect romance at every corner, every bridge, and every endearing alt-country pop melody of The Scene Asethetic. Would you eat an entire bag of Jolly Ranchers if you didn’t like sweets?

P.S. Aesthetic is a difficult word to spell. Just wanted to put that out there.

RIYLThe Apathy Eulogy, Rookie of the Year, Secondhand Serenade, Dashboard Confessional
Check It OutAP Profile | Official Website | Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 30
12:58 AM on 08/04/07
Nathan Lint
That's the real joke
User Info.
hahaa let the shitfest begin. Or not, I think this band died out with the myspace fans at least 2 years ago.

Good review, Julia.
01:15 AM on 08/04/07
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
hahaa let the shitfest begin. Or not, I think this band died out with the myspace fans at least 2 years ago.

Good review, Julia.

I guess we will see in the morning. Hah.

Thanks, boy.
02:09 AM on 08/04/07
User Info.
Danger: Radio is amazing.

This not so much.
06:37 AM on 08/04/07
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
"P.S. Aesthetic is a difficult word to spell. Just wanted to put that out there."

haha, don't worry it gets easier with spellcheck.
08:04 AM on 08/04/07
Said_Anything
User Info.
I guess I can't say much for the myspace fans but I absolutely love this cd.
08:31 AM on 08/04/07
Praetor
as we melt, let's make no noise.
User Info.
Your reviews are always the perfect balance between informative and amusing. Good job, yet again.
10:11 AM on 08/04/07
vandalroyale
Down and almost out
User Info.
I unfortunately feltthe same way with this album...it was decent for what it was, but way too predictable andunfortunately not up to par with what I was hoping for
10:18 AM on 08/04/07
mortal soldier
User Info.
Julia Conny = the best ever.
10:51 AM on 08/04/07
rikfrommf
User Info.
aesthetic is a word anyone in music should be able to spell and use intelligibly...
11:35 AM on 08/04/07
CWeezer2
User Info.
i used to love this band and so did everyone else, don't lie. based on my former dedication i'll probably give it a listen but it doesn't sound hugely enjoyable.
11:46 AM on 08/04/07
houseofleaves
Dark Helmet
User Info.
sausage
11:56 AM on 08/04/07
crivor
a dangerous life
User Info.
Good review.
I really was in to these guys a few years ago and I have the debut album so i don't really see the point in me buying this one. For me, if they did an EP with all new songs that would be worth it.
12:25 PM on 08/04/07
_kate
albaXcore
User Info.
wow i had no idea this cd existed. i looooved "the alamo is no place for dancing" and "beauty in the breakdown" but the rest of their old cd bothered me, i think mostly because of the production quality and it's impact on the already whiny vocals. i definitely want to hear the remastered versions, though.
01:31 PM on 08/04/07
Harryr25
User Info.
anyone know if the production is that much better on this cd?
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums