AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Amity Affliction, The - Youngbloods Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8.25
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 77%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.95
Lyrics 8.3
Production 8.8
Creativity 8.45
Lasting Value 8.7
Reviewer Tilt 9.2
Average: 88%
Inside AP.net

Amity Affliction, The - Youngbloods

Reviewed by: Corey Hoffy (08/11/10)
The Amity Affliction - Youngbloods
Release Date: June 18, 2010
Record Label: Boomtown Records

The Amity Affliction may never be as popular as other Australian acts (most note-worthy is Parkway Drive) and they may never be original enough to be called innovative, but what they lack in the popularity and originality sections, they make up for in consistency. While other bands are trying to change their styles to sell more records, while sacrificing their very roots for stardom, The Amity Affliction keeps trucking on. Record sales be darned.

On their last release, I criticized the band for sounding too much like Atreyu, and the comparisons are still eminent. Yet, Affliction have found their comfort zone. Instead of trying to do too many things at once -- which happened much too often on their last release -- they've compiled ten songs that just flow, while not flowing together, for the most part. Still, if their last release didn't do anything for you, then you won't find much to love here.

Opener "I Hate Hartley" is everything expected. Harsh vocals mixed with clean; gang vocals with the help of popular pop-punk band Four Year Strong; catchy choruses. And, yes, a pretty ridiculous name. This is the main highlight off the album, really showing what the band is capable of. Joel Birch's growls have become much more legitimate and consistent, while Ryan Burt's double bass bursts are much more complex and reliable. "Fire or Knife" is an atheistic anthem filled with some of the band's most harsh vocals and guitar work. It works best due to Ahren Stringer's capable clean vocals, especially at about the two-minute mark.

"H.M.A.S Lookback" has Birch and Stringer wonderfully exchanging between clean and harsh vocals. It's the best example of the two's ability to work together and feed off of the energy of one another. The interesting and catchy changes on "Fuck the Yankees" and "R.I.P. Foghorn" make them notable tracks. Especially the latter, with Stringer delivering some of his best vocals on the album and Troy Brady and Clint Splattering pulling off some great harsh and melodic guitar work. The band may not be original, but capable musicians they have.

As far as production goes, it's a great improvement on the last album, void of the often silly sound samples the band relied too heavily on before. Musically, the band has tightened down and found their sound. A band that was often in shambles before, has found a way to work off each other, and deliver a satisfactory attempt. The album may not make anyone's top ten list -- hell, it probably won't make mine -- but it's a step in a definite right direction towards being taken seriously in a genre where there's too many jokes. And too many duds.

Recommended If You LikeAtreyu, Alexisonfire, Australia, atheists, things that start with the letter 'A'

Solid TracksFire or Knife, I Hate Hartley, R.I.P. Foghorn

The Amity Affliction's Myspace
Buy It

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13.
06:23 AM on 08/13/10
Akissforher
City Love
User Info.
I like the album, much more than Severed Ties, but after about two weeks i've not listened to it at all. Ironically too infatuated with Deep Blue which came out a week later.
06:57 AM on 08/13/10
Dr.Thunder
Dr.Thunder
User Info.
"The Amity Affliction may never be as popular as other Australian acts (most note-worthy is Parkway Drive)"

"The album may not make anyone's top ten list"

Keep in mind the album did debut at 6 on Australia's national charts and topped Short Fast Loud's (Australia's biggest and most popular Hardcore/punk radio show) Middyear report ahead of Parkway Drive and other Australian and international punk/hardcore acts. This album topped my top ten list and apparently alot of others, also almost two months on and I'm still listening to it most days. Other than that quite a good and accurate report.
08:43 PM on 08/13/10
CheckeredFloors
nah
User Info.
There's still a chance it'll make my top 10.

As far as post-hardcore goes, this is probably going to be my favourite release this year. I don't listen to post-hardcore a whole lot anymore seeing as the genre has pretty much just become a huge joke, but I thoroughly enjoy this album for what it is.
12:07 AM on 08/14/10
AussieBoy
User Info.
my AOTY so far, much better than PWD, and i liked PWD much more than them before their releases, and Deep Blue was no slouch either
06:49 AM on 08/14/10
Corey Hoffy
I refuse to spend life on my knees
User Info.
Keep in mind the album did debut at 6 on Australia's national charts and topped Short Fast Loud's (Australia's biggest and most popular Hardcore/punk radio show) Middyear report ahead of Parkway Drive and other Australian and international punk/hardcore acts. This album topped my top ten list and apparently alot of others, also almost two months on and I'm still listening to it most days. Other than that quite a good and accurate report.

I apologize. What I meant was that they may not be as popular in America, arrogantly enough. Haha. Thanks for the info though. Good to see these guys getting a lot more recognition than I thought they would.
12:50 AM on 08/15/10
EchoPark
promesas son sombras
User Info.
In case anyone was wondering, these guys are from Australia. Yeah, that's right. The great southern land down under. Thanks to reviewer for pointing that out.
09:46 PM on 08/15/10
AussieBoy
User Info.
In case anyone was wondering, these guys are from Australia. Yeah, that's right. The great southern land down under. Thanks to reviewer for pointing that out.
never heard of the place
09:49 PM on 08/15/10
AussieBoy
User Info.
"The Amity Affliction may never be as popular as other Australian acts"
04:09 PM on 08/16/10
EchoPark
promesas son sombras
User Info.
never heard of the place
All jokes aside, This release is stellar. Normally not a big fan of the genre at all but these guys really do stand out from the pack.
01:02 AM on 08/17/10
AussieBoy
User Info.
All jokes aside, This release is stellar. Normally not a big fan of the genre at all but these guys really do stand out from the pack.
its my fav album this year, barring blink get a miracle cd out before NYE
06:09 AM on 08/17/10
Nickonfire
User Info.
This CD is actually amazing. Haven't stopped listening to Anchors or Fuck the Yankees
07:12 AM on 09/04/10
AWilhelmPetter
Bulletproof Tiger
User Info.
What am I missing? The record isn't bad, but nothing more.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests