Password

Album Review

The Overunder - First Come, First Served Album Cover

The Overunder - First Come, First Served

Reviewed by
The Overunder - First Come, First Served
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: August 28, 2009
Pop-punk/pop-rock is a genre that has become over-populated with synthesizers and auto-tune. Many bands use these tools to try and shoot themselves to fame, but the end result is usually something awful that can only be enjoyed by teenie boppers who don't know how to separate an artists talent from their looks. Thankfully, Long Island, New York's The Overunder are not one of these bands.

The Overunder has released an EP that is filled with highly marketable, catchy songs, without any of the garbage mentioned above. While the EP does open with some gang vocals, it is mostly filled pop-rock tracks in the same vein as Mayday Parade.

The first full-length track on the EP is also the first single "That Necktie Makes You Look Ridiculous". The song is one of the best tracks on First Come, First Served. The song could definitely get the band played MTV or even land them opening spots on tours with bigger bands if marketed right. Next up is "Crowd Surf", which is the strongest track on the entire EP. The song, the chorus in specific, will be stuck in your head after one listen. Though the next two tracks on the EP are still good songs, they are a little less memorable. "When The Stars Fall" ends the EP on a weaker note considering all the tracks before it, but it should leave fans wanting more to listen to.

After multiple times through First Come, First Served, it's very obvious that the band is a strong group of musicians and once they get a full-length album out there, they could skyrocket and become huge. The only thing that truly lacks on the EP is that the songs aren't overly original. They have the same general structure and don't vary much from each other.

Recommended If You LikeMayday Parade, All Time Low, You Me At Six - Take Off Your Colours
This review is a user submitted review from brandon_260. You can see all of brandon_260's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
01:38 AM on 07/21/10
ctexasranger
Boats N' Hoes
User Info.
i love these guys, they are genuine dudes, and i think it shines through in their music.
09:43 AM on 07/21/10
Shelby_Are_I
User Info.
I love this band and I'm glad to see they got good ratings, HOWEVER, I think the "recommended if you like" is a bit of stretch. They're less power pop, more pop punk.
02:01 PM on 07/21/10
brandon_260
User Info.
I love this band and I'm glad to see they got good ratings, HOWEVER, I think the "recommended if you like" is a bit of stretch. They're less power pop, more pop punk.
I don't see any powerpop in the RIYL, if I were to recommend them to someone that's what I would say
11:04 AM on 07/23/10
Formatfun
Format, The, Format, The
User Info.
I listened to this, I dig it.

I don't think they're like Mayday Parade that much... I hate that band.
12:18 PM on 07/23/10
brandon_260
User Info.
I listened to this, I dig it.

I don't think they're like Mayday Parade that much... I hate that band.
I feel both bands have that same pop-rock feel, and since Mayday is so big, it might get more people to check out the band
11:11 PM on 08/30/10
Shelby_Are_I
User Info.
I don't see any powerpop in the RIYL, if I were to recommend them to someone that's what I would say
You joking? Pretty much every band listed was power pop. Pop rock is like, Nickelback. Just sayin.
11:16 PM on 08/30/10
brandon_260
User Info.
You joking? Pretty much every band listed was power pop. Pop rock is like, Nickelback. Just sayin.

Nickelback is not pop rock at all
01:02 PM on 09/18/10
Shelby_Are_I
User Info.
Nickelback is not pop rock at all
Who cares, neither is the Overunder. They're pop punk. Unlike the bands listed.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos