AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Woe, Is Me - Number[s] Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 5
Production 8
Creativity 4.75
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 7.25
Final Verdict: 66%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.42
Musicianship 7.53
Lyrics 6.61
Production 8.31
Creativity 5.67
Lasting Value 6.06
Reviewer Tilt 7.67
Average: 72%

Woe, Is Me - Number[s]

Reviewed by: Ryan Gardner (09/04/10)
Woe, Is MeNumber[s]
Record Label: Velocity/Rise Records
Release Date: August 31, 2010

There’s no question that Rise Records and many bands on it receive an excess of hate, mainly due to artists such as Attack Attack! That said, not every band on Rise utilizes overly techno-backed screams to drive their music; bands such as In Fear and Faith and Miss May I are able to expand Rise’s heavier side in tremendous ways. The newest of this list includes Atlanta, Georgia’s Woe, Is Me. The band is Rise’s second cross signing with Velocity records. Although W,IM do not use an unheard of outline for their heavy sing-scream sound, they do play their music well. Also, despite over usage of autotune, their clean vocalist Tyler Carter may be one of the best in the genre, aside from perhaps Of Mice & Men’s Shayley Bourget.

The band’s debut record, Number[s] effectively combines elements found in bands such as labelmates In Fear and Faith and even Emarosa in the clean singing department; the clean vocals are spot on, the screams well placed (for the most part), and the musicianship is definitely there. Tracks such as “[&] Delinquents” and “Keep Your Enemies Close” prove that Michael Bohn can surely scream. Whereas, “I.” switches back and forth from Woe, Is Me’s heaviest material to their most melodic, featuring some of the best lyrics on Number[s].

Opener “On Veiled Men” sets up the debut with Austin Thornton’s massive drums over guitarists Tim Sherrill and Kevin Hanson’s drop-tuned guitars before flowing flawlessly into the aforementioned powerhouse “[&] Delinquents." Alike to “I,” “Mannequin Religion” combines each element of Number[s] into this scorcher of a track.

Musically, the album is just what is to be expected in its genre: loud, heavy, and ferocious with drop-tuned guitars, double bass drums, and the occasion synth (“Our Number[s]”). In fact, the majority of tracks on this record will please fans of Emarosa’s Jonny Craig, as Carter channels Craig throughout the record. His clean vocals definitely add depth to Bohn’s ferocious screams; the clean vocals are a definite highlight and at that, the backbone of Woe, Is Me. However, autotune does take its toll too often, such as throughout the beginning of “If Not, For Ourselves” and closer “Desolate [The Conductor],” which is plagued throughout with autotuned vocals and electronic drums before the final screams end Number[s]. "Desolate" will however please any fans of Emarosa due to Jonny Craig's wonderful inclusion on the ultimate track.

While Woe, Is Me are in no way a unique band, they do take all they have learned about their genre and successfully accumulate the sound into this disc. If they can continue to experiment and perhaps find ways to stand out above similar acts in the genre, Woe, Is Me could easily headline stages alongside heavy bands. Not to mention, having a vocalist as good as Carter doesn’t hurt any chances.

Recommended If You LikeIn Fear and Faith; I See Stars; The Devil Wears Prada; Miss May I; Burden of a Day

Listen To[&] Delinquents; Mannequin Religion; I.

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. On Veiled Men
2. [&] Delinquents
3. Mannequin Religion
4. Keep Your Enemies Close
5. Hell, Or High Water
6. For the Likes of You
7. I.
8. Our Number[s]
9. If Not, For Ourselves
10. Desolate [The Conductor] (featuring Jonny Craig)

Woe, Is Me are:
Tyler Carter – Clean Vocals
Michael Bohn – Screams
Tim Sherrill – Guitar
Kevin Hanson – Guitar
Austin Thornton – Drums
Ben Ferris – Keys
Cory Ferris – Bass

myspace.com/woeisme

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 31
03:45 PM on 09/04/10
Spartan789013
I should be proper for a change
User Info.
Generic Music is Generic.

Also, it was hard for me to believe how fast this band got big. They put out a Ke$ha cover, didn't play a show but still got signed to Rise.

That's the story right?
09:21 PM on 09/04/10
Krazycev13
I tie a horrible knot.
User Info.
he doesnt use Autotune. its called "vibrato" pal.
01:18 AM on 09/05/10
shawnPLAGUES
Steve Holt is a bastard.
User Info.
Generic Music is Generic.

Also, it was hard for me to believe how fast this band got big. They put out a Ke$ha cover, didn't play a show but still got signed to Rise.

That's the story right?

It is pretty crazy, but it helped that their drummer was the ex-drummer for Of Machines, who were signed to Rise.

Also, I don't care for this band, but I recall seeing somewhere that Jonny Craig is also on the closing track.
01:47 AM on 09/05/10
Jake Denning
User Info.
It is pretty crazy, but it helped that their drummer was the ex-drummer for Of Machines, who were signed to Rise.

Also, I don't care for this band, but I recall seeing somewhere that Jonny Craig is also on the closing track.
Yeah, J Craig is on the last track. I have a review for this album on my blog as well.
06:37 AM on 09/05/10
Spartan789013
I should be proper for a change
User Info.

Ahh true. I still have a problem respecting a band that got signed before they even played a show. I like to see bands give blood, sweat and tears just to make it (see: The Gaslight Anthem). It makes the music more honest to me.

And for the love of god auto-tune is killing me.
08:12 AM on 09/05/10
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
Haven't heard the album yet, but I'm stoked to get my pre-order
08:14 AM on 09/05/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Haven't heard the album yet, but I'm stoked to get my pre-order
Seems like it'd be right up your alley. I'm sure you'll dig it.
02:27 PM on 09/05/10
defmytones
User Info.
Good review, although the reference to Shayley is 1. Late (He left OM&M to start a clothing company) and 2. A little off in my opinion, as the singer here implements a style moreso of former DGD's singer Kurt Travis. Again, just an opinion.

I enjoy this band. Nowadays unfortunately 95 percent of bands sound the same or rip off one another. Sure, theres nothing too original here, but seeing them live would be a blast I'm sure. These guys at times remind me of a harder version of Dance Gavin Dance, which is pretty much in the "scene" at this time.
02:37 PM on 09/05/10
FanNotCritic
User Info.
Good review, although the reference to Shayley is 1. Late (He left OM&M to start a clothing company) and 2. A little off in my opinion, as the singer here implements a style moreso of former DGD's singer Kurt Travis. Again, just an opinion.

I enjoy this band. Nowadays unfortunately 95 percent of bands sound the same or rip off one another. Sure, theres nothing too original here, but seeing them live would be a blast I'm sure. These guys at times remind me of a harder version of Dance Gavin Dance, which is pretty much in the "scene" at this time.
Shayley didn't leave OM&M. Jaxin Hall did.
03:36 PM on 09/05/10
koopman
Espo
User Info.
Doesn't use auto tune? seriously dude? I'd go as far as saying 98% of major releases use pitch correction in some form or another, lets be real now obviously artists want to make the best product possible for the consumer and they're not going to just disregard off tune notes. Its more time efficient to use auto tune than to try and get absolute pitch perfect vocal takes.
04:40 PM on 09/05/10
vivatoto56
EB was left out
User Info.
When I first listened to this I was excited because I thought I was going to like it.

It had absolutely no staying power though.

Good review. 4.75 on creativity is so exact that I feel it fits perfect haha.
01:57 PM on 09/06/10
_><_
Registered Member
User Info.
The electronica stuff is actually really good on this record, it actually fits the music. I'd say it's probably one of the better releases of this genre (generic electronica posthardcore metalcore whatevercore clean-scream-clean-breakdown genre). And the singer has awesome voice. He sounds spot on live from what i have heard and seen on youtube.

But overall it's still a pretty bad record, the guitars are really bland and the same breakdown is constantly reused. The screams are kind of passionless too.
02:19 AM on 09/07/10
deadelement
magic asian
User Info.
Best thing about the record is the electronics and the clean vocals for sure, but the length of the album is so short it's ridiculous.
10:15 AM on 09/08/10
more heart
Get Hurt
User Info.
Technically, this is Rise/Velocity's second band as Abandon All Ships was signed first.

/pointless input
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums