Album Review

mc chris - Part Six Part Three Album Cover

mc chris - Part Six Part Three

Reviewed by
mc chris - Part Six Part Three
Record Label: mc chris LLC
Release Date: October 13, 2009

Who?

mc chris has been called many things. The one that he most objects to is “nerd-core.” Nerd-core is a genre of hip-hop that deals with nerdier subjects like algebra, Star Wars, and Dungeons & Dragons. While he has become more open to this labeling in recent years, it still seems an incredibly odd thing to call an artist of his caliber. To be blunt, most nerd-core artists are terrible. While mc chris wasn't the first off the starting line, he's the proverbial tortoise to the scene's hare. He perseveres through small album sales and against the storm of more pretentious tastes. And that's why he's a fantastic person, as well as a great musician.

How is it?

Compared to the first two parts? Not very good. Part Six Part Three is not bad by any means, but definitely falls by the wayside when matched up to Part One and Part Two. The first track, “Hipster Hunter,” deals with mc chris' frustration with the party scene in his hometown of New York. The second verse in particular is very interesting, driven by an incredibly sad sounding piano after being mentioned in the lyrics. My favorite lines in the song come from mc chris detailing various districts in the city and why he can't frequent parties there: “Couldn't go to Queens, Greek priests looked like Sith/Couldn't go to Bronx cause that's where the real rappers live/Couldn't live in Jersey cause some ex's wanna hurt me/Couldn't happen in Manhattan cause I'm just a fan like Fergie.”

“Dengar's Dumptruck” is the second track, and the third in mc chris' series of “bounty hunters in vehicles.” Dengar was that dumpy looking fool in The Empire Strikes Back scene where Darth Vader is gathering bounty hunters to catch Luke Skywalker. Always the butt of the joke in the Star Wars universe, mc chris does a good job of telling his back story as well as what happened to him after the movies. A good use of samples and electric piano offers the track an interesting science fiction atmosphere, and again features mc chris singing through the chorus. The last two songs are really nothing to write home about. “Emo Party” verges on being downright annoying. The verses are slightly interesting and flow incredibly well, but the high-pitched chorus ruins whatever merit this song had to begin with. “Distant Lands” is a typical love song from mc chris, featuring simplistic beats, basic percussion, and sugary sweet lyrics.

As a whole, the Part Six EPs are great. They feature all the best parts of mc chris and his production skills, as well as serving as a great spot for new fans to jump in and see what he's all about. Split up, on the other hand, flaws begin to show, most notably in Part Six Part Three. The skits on this part are probably the funniest of the three, but the songs are nowhere up to par. Besides “Dengar's Dumptruck,” I'm not really sure I would recommend any of the other three tracks.

Track List1. The Bridge of Fire (skit)
2. Hipster Hunter
3. Dengar's Dumptruck
4. Kindle (skit)
5. Emo Party
6. Distant Lands
7. The Cave of Mysteries (skit)

Recommended If You LikeThird parts in trilogies, laughing, slight disappointment

Official Page | Official Myspace | Part One Review | Part Two Review
This review is a user submitted review from Ian Walker. You can see all of Ian Walker's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
07:14 PM on 09/07/10
Mochem
User Info.
I agree that this was the worst one. The skits were the only thing I really enjoyed. Ok, I'm done commenting on these now.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos