AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Record Sales News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Bandcamp Begins Rolling Out Changes, Helps Sufjan on Billboard

Posted by - 11:07 PM on 09/11/10
Bandcamp has begun rolling out some changes to their service, notably changing how free downloads work, and implementing "power-ups" for bands who sell their music and merch through the site. All the details are here. In other news, major props to them for helping Sufjan Stevens' new EP debut at #48 on the Billboard 200 with over 10,000 copies sold in three days last month.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 36
11:09 PM on 09/11/10
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Personally, I think these new changes are a fair balance. Once you reach the cap, downloads aren't expensive for a band to purchase, and if you sell music and merch through them, you're probably going to get some free downloads from that.

Thoughts?
11:15 PM on 09/11/10
HometownHero
User Info.
10k in three days is incredible.
11:19 PM on 09/11/10
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
sufjan = god
11:27 PM on 09/11/10
Nick Le
Yeezy taught me.
User Info.
Personally, I think these new changes are a fair balance. Once you reach the cap, downloads aren't expensive for a band to purchase, and if you sell music and merch through them, you're probably going to get some free downloads from that.

Thoughts?
I agree. It's also nice that a whole album downloaded also only counts as 1 download. I back the site.

Also, congrats to Sufjan.
11:35 PM on 09/11/10
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
Bandcamp is currently my favorite site.
11:37 PM on 09/11/10
djsclaus
www.brandonmarshall.net
User Info.
Bandcamp is definitely still a great service. For the amount of exposure you can still get, the price is hardly anything.
11:50 PM on 09/11/10
Jonathan Bautts
User Info.
I agree. I love Bandcamp.
01:29 AM on 09/12/10
I am Mick
http://www.worncolors.bandcamp.c om
User Info.
Love bandcamp so much, seriously such a nice tool for any of my bands to use. I can't wait for the day I know a decent amount of HTML and can turn our bandcamp page until an official site.
01:30 AM on 09/12/10
thesollopsist
Up all night, and down all day
User Info.
Good for Sufjan, and bandcamp is also great.
02:06 AM on 09/12/10
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Love bandcamp so much, seriously such a nice tool for any of my bands to use. I can't wait for the day I know a decent amount of HTML and can turn our bandcamp page until an official site.
It's really not super difficult. I integrated Tourmaline's almost seamlessly into their website.

Bandcamp is currently my favorite site.
If they made it easier to discover new music it'd probably be perfect.
02:32 AM on 09/12/10
So-Crates
Registered Member
User Info.
love bandcamp
03:43 AM on 09/12/10
2LW
I'm starting to decompose
User Info.
That is freaking awesome. But I'm a bit confused, how does this work for other currencies/countries?
04:11 AM on 09/12/10
snu
I like to watch the NBA
User Info.
I'm not so sure I like the free downloads being limited for artists. It's a business so I understand the financial aspect of it...but I think all these changes, with the way the music is handled, are going to turn a lot of people off from the site. I like bandcamp and think it's about as good as it gets until something better comes along. Some artists just want to give away stuff for free and by limiting that it really makes an artist pay for free downloads or be forced to find other means of distribution.
04:15 AM on 09/12/10
lew_1987
The desperation's gone.
User Info.
Power-ups are such a great idea. I think they've got the right balance now, hopefully they don't change it too much in the future.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos