AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Intercept - Symphony For Somebody Else Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.25
Production 8.5
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Intercept - Symphony For Somebody Else

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (09/13/10)
Intercept - Symphony For Somebody Else
Record Label: Self-released
Release Date: Sept. 14, 2010

Who?
Intercept is a California quartet playing self-described rock with a Socal spark. Symphony for Somebody Else is their third full-length album, following on the heels of Magnolia Road and Yellow Dog.

How is it?
Promising, but not totally there. If 90s rock is going to make a recovery –––– for those of us who still appreciate and yearn for its splendor–––– then perhaps Intercept is the band to do it. On their third full length, the group
tackles radio-ready hooks with aplomb.

Opener "Made to Fall," is snappy, slick and draws on vocalist's Christian Knudsen's emotive croon. While it's not exactly an engaging album opener it does serve as a solid introduction to the music of Intercept.

Lead single "Rest Of My Days." begins with a flickering guitar riff that envelopes into splashy sun-drenched optimism. Knudsen's confident vocals thrums and slinks across the atmosphere with swagger, urgency and charisma. Backed by an
indelible chorus, a hypnotic bridge and enough polish to make David Geffen blush, "Rest of My Days," is just the kind of song to re-energize the modern rock radio format.

"Last One to Show" is pretty, lovelorn, and features more vocal gymnastics from Knudsen. While it feels uneven to praise just the vocals, they really are the driving force here. To be fair, the guitars and rhythm section are solid and the chorus builds and builds, but honestly without Knudsen, this song would be pretty lost.

Title track "Symphony For Somebody Else" is emotive, impassioned and undeniably earnest. A song about finding quiet and freedom, there's a charm at work here that seems to think the band will find an audience. That being said, if the song
fails to attract a crowd, the argument of 'haven't we heard this before?' could also be applied.

The tender acoustic ballad "Love is Like That," is deeply affecting and near-perfect and an inspiring way to step forward after a ho-hum track. Perfectly placed, incredibly well-executed, it's a chance for the band to prove their diversity
and show that they truly know their way around a song.

"One Hundred Times" kicks and spits, pushing and clawing with with energy, urgency, swagger and attitude. It is most definitely a perfect way to start the second half and further proves they're just a band that's really comfortable with what they do and not afraid of bringing their A game. A truly solid song, there's little reason to think "One Hundred Times," won't be a fan favorite.

"So Say Whatever" has a twinge of The Fray but suffers from a bit of derivativeness, while "Every Native Face,' is rhythmic and has a nice cadence, but falls flat halfway through. Granted there are strong verses and a veritable sexiness about it, but this is the kind of song that has been done over and over again ad nauseum.

Penultimate cut "On My Own," is an arena-ready song with a bursting chorus but suffers from some horribly unimaginative lyrics. Whereas most CDs would be gathering steam and roaring to a close, Symphony For Somebody Else appears to be laboring. By the time closer "No Surprise," hits the listener feels worn out and absolutely spent.

All this being written, is Intercept a band to watch? Absolutely. Is this the album to do it? There's a good chance. These days all it takes is one song, one high-profile ticket to paradise and the powerful "Rest Of My Days," is just that song.

Intercept is Christian Knudsen: vocals, guitar
Jason Weiner: drums
Jeff Knudsen: guitar
Phil Romo: bass

Recommended If You Like Camera Can't Lie, Green River Ordinance, SafetySuit, Tonic, Dishwalla

Find Them Here Myspace
Website

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
11:47 AM on 09/13/10
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
I need more time with this record, but I dig the sound.
11:50 AM on 09/13/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I need more time with this record, but I dig the sound.
I was going to put RIYL S9DallasOZ's musical palate.
12:12 PM on 09/13/10
Dystroxia
We found love in a hopeless place
User Info.
Great review!

Oh, and I'm sorry I didn't put your name in this poll I created...I completely forgot about you haha
02:02 PM on 09/13/10
cwhit412
User Info.
Better than my review for these guys (Obviously). I didn't like the lyrics at all though. Similar overall scores though.
03:09 PM on 09/13/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Better than my review for these guys (Obviously). I didn't like the lyrics at all though. Similar overall scores though.
The thing is they're going for accessible mainstream pop/rock and more often than not those lyrics are never really that deep. Ya know? It fits with their goals, and they definitely have honed in on what it takes to make it. I also think that the song "Rest Of My Days," is freaking phenomenal.
03:16 PM on 09/13/10
cwhit412
User Info.
The thing is they're going for accessible mainstream pop/rock and more often than not those lyrics are never really that deep. Ya know? It fits with their goals, and they definitely have honed in on what it takes to make it. I also think that the song "Rest Of My Days," is freaking phenomenal.
Exactly what I said. Song is good, one of the strongest instrumentally and vocally on the track.
01:54 PM on 05/16/11
LopezP
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i am much enjoying "symphony for somebody else", which i just received this afternoon. i AM a tad biased, however. two of the musicians are nephews of mine! makes me proud.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests