Password

Album Review
Interpol - Interpol Album Cover

Interpol - Interpol

Reviewed by
InterpolInterpol
Release Date: September 14, 2010
Record Label: Matador Records
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
I’m currently listening to “Agoraphobia” by Deerhunter and watching video of the JFK assassination over and over and over. You know, cheery things. Things that don’t make me want to utter the three most devastating words in all of the human language (when standing on the ledge of a skyscraper): “I can’t fly.” Because after a few days with Interpol’s latest self-titled diatribe wrapped in a eulogy, nothing feels better than whatever something Paul Banks is going through. It’s like one of those Barbara Walters pre-Oscars interviews when so-and-so millionaire recounts a story of hardship from inside their mansion. After all, Paul Banks and Interpol are still rock stars. This is not some 1984-esque job we forced upon them (is that reference correct?). I have a hunch there are tons of tattooed Burger King assistant general managers who would literally kill someone to be this sad.

But what am I even whining about? This is an Interpol record; it’s perhaps the most Interpol-y Interpol record. Even more quizzical: I have enjoyed most every Interpol record for the very reason I hate this one. Taste is funny, I guess. And I kind of struggled with whether I should just let this one die – LIKE PAUL BANKS WANTS!! – or to man up and be a fucking stupid hypocrite. Because when I just said that taste is funny, I really meant that it’s kind of hypocritical. That’s why it’s called taste instead of fact. Scientists have a term for this, and it’s… I forget and/or whatever.

Musically, Interpol has some serious high-notes. The piano accompaniment on (ugh) “Always Malaise (The Man I Am)” keeps things popcentric until the industrial drum-filled bridge uplifts us for the briefest of moments. “Summer Well” has a chorus that won’t quit, despite lines like “I want to be magical / I want to stay on me / I want to feel up on your life / I miss you but it looks like you summered well.” Interpol-the-band have certainly tightened up their post-punk affiliations here, despite losing longtime bassist Carlos D. But on toned down sob stories like “All of the Ways” and “The Undoing,” where the band opts to literally siphon tears out of its audience, I completely shut down. All of the stop-go’s and pedaled guitar notes that last forever and anguished faux-British yelping can’t sell me on what is meant to be sincere. We all have bad days, but bad decades? I don’t buy it.

Or do I buy it? Who am I to question what creates inspiration? Perhaps Banks and the dudes only write after tragedy, which is certainly plausible. (More plausible? Heroin.) But maybe all I want is for Banks to try happiness. Failure is ok. Lord knows, failure is ok. But minute after minute of (non-funny) self-deprecation is a lot. A lot a lot. So even though I’m sad this record has left no lasting effect, I’m also happy that it might mean my life is heading somewhere positive. Timing is everything, I suppose. On second thought, maybe context is.

Recommended If You Like: Depeche Mode, The Cure, Echo & the Bunnymen

2012www.interpolnyc.com

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 34
01:15 PM on 09/14/10
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
I love this album.
01:44 PM on 09/14/10
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
Hmmm. Taste is indeed funny. Very often, especially this year, I found myself not really liking albums by bands I held in high regard. For a time, I started to think it was because I was, in some ways, changing. I'm not sure that's true, though. While I really think Interpol's last three were all great (regardless of the crap the last two got as "disappointing"), I'm pretty sure this doesn't measure up for me, not because I've changed at all, but because it's boring as sin (except for "Barricade", which had my hopes high at first). I can't criticize the album for being mopey, because that's pretty much what they('ve) do(ne) best, but I had hoped for something more interesting than this. Blah.
04:15 PM on 09/14/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I have a hunch there are tons of tattoed Burger King assistant general managers who would literally kill someone to be this sad.

Even though "tattooed" was spelled wrong, this was a freaking genius line. Too boot, another absolutely stellar review. I have certainly missed your witticism/quips/humor/insight. It has been far too long. Cheers!
04:35 PM on 09/14/10
bridgeofeldin
suck brick kid!
User Info.
I agree with the ratings. As a long time Interpol faithful, I'm really disappointed with this album.
06:17 PM on 09/14/10
Dystroxia
We found love in a hopeless place
User Info.
I love this review, great job.

The lyrics are atrocious.
07:08 PM on 09/14/10
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
I have a hunch there are tons of tattoed Burger King assistant general managers who would literally kill someone to be this sad.

Even though "tattooed" was spelled wrong, this was a freaking genius line. Too boot, another absolutely stellar review. I have certainly missed your witticism/quips/humor/insight. It has been far too long. Cheers!
atrocious typo. fixed, and thanks for the well-wishes. I'm on school break starting tomorrow, so I will hopefully have a few reviews up during the next 3 or 4 weeks.
08:38 PM on 09/14/10
xapplexpiex
&.&
User Info.
I love their previous albums, especially Turn on the Bright Lights. And nothing in your review is turning me away from this one. I like Interpol's lyrics. I guess you're right, it is just a matter of taste.
11:01 PM on 09/14/10
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
So everyone still reccommends Turn on the Bright Lights? I still haven't heard it..
12:41 AM on 09/15/10
Memphis
Eight miles high and falling fast
User Info.
56% and Flamingo has 96? Is it opposite day today?
01:08 AM on 09/15/10
cereal4life
User Info.
Woah, that bad, Blake? I heard the single "Barricade" and thought it was quite boring. I don't really have high hopes for this given all the bad press I've been hearing about it but I'll still listen to it with open ears.
04:26 AM on 09/15/10
caveBEAR
( ω )
User Info.
The album isn't that bad, but it is that boring.

06:19 AM on 09/15/10
PlacesToGo
User Info.
I cant believe reviews like this are allowed to be put on ap.net. And everyone wonders why people like pitchfork.
07:42 AM on 09/15/10
topher465
every shining time you arrive
User Info.
Still downloading this. That's right, RIAA.
07:43 AM on 09/15/10
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Still downloading this. That's right, RIAA.
haha awesome

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version