Password

Album Review

Upon A Burning Body - This World Is Ours Album Cover

Upon A Burning Body - This World Is Ours

Reviewed by
Upon A Burning Body - This World Is Ours
Record Label: Sumerian Records
Release Date: April 6th, 2010
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
If you don't like bass drops, breakdowns, gang vocals, hardcore dancing, then I would suggest you stop reading now, because you definitely won't like this album, I promise you.

This album's intro, "Showtime", is definitely intended to make you, as the listener, think Upon A Burning Body is the biggest group of badasses that ever walked the face of the earth. "These kids are angry, and nobody's listening to them" and lines from this intro are definitely over the top, but nonetheless, give a good hint of what is to come, as the driving guitars come in and pause after a few bars as gang vocals shout "WELCOME TO THE FAMILY" as the rest of the intro chugs out. Definitely a somewhat inventive introduction, I have to give them that.

Instrumentally, it's follows the formula most metalcore releases follow, but UABB have put together a very fine-tuned record, they really know their instruments. One of the biggest surprises coming from this release is the guitars, played by C.J. and Sal; I was most impressed by whoever played lead guitar, full of skilled runs and solos, a lot like the leads in Bring Me The Horizon's debut, Count Your Blessings. Bassist Ruben provides a great deal of depth to the band's sound, and drummer Ramon brings a gigantic skill-set to the table with mastered pedal control, creative cymbal work, and overall speed that others will find hard to match. It's apparent that these four instrumentalists have really sat down and worked hard to create something nice and heavy. The closing song "City Hall" isn't full of breakdowns; instead, it's full of constant rhythmic chugging and soaring leads and solos, the best song on the album by a mile.

Vocalist Danny is definitely not unskilled, he contributes a powerfully unique and crisp vocal style that honestly raises the band up another notch and will be a definite gap missing if he is kicked out. Vocals for the most part aren't hard to discern, which are another huge plus. The latter half of "Heat" is the highlight reel for him, as everything is there; guttural lows, powerful mains, and ends out with an isolated growl.

Lyrically is where people may have a slight hang-up with the band; Most of the lyrics are based on characters played by Al Pacino in Hollywood classics, such as "Donnie Brasco", "The Devil's Advocate", and "The Godfather". With that in mind, the lyrics are drenched in violence and contempt, definitely earning itself a "Rated-R" rating. A great deal of the lyrics have particular mosh roll-calls, most notably "Carlito's Way".

Overall, the album is a extremely strong debut that will be very difficult to top, and will no doubt be one of Sumerian's top bands sooner or later as UABB continues to tour and support this record.

Recommended If You LikeAnd Hell Followed With, King Conquer, Bring Me The Horizon - Count Your Blessings, Al Pacino Movies

[LISTEN]www.myspace.com/uponaburningbody[/fs]

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
08:40 AM on 09/05/10
KillyourIdols88
Standing on the Edge of Summer
User Info.
I enjoyed this album
11:19 AM on 09/05/10
Krazycev13
I tie a horrible knot.
User Info.
in my opinion, this album blew. its horribly generic, the screamer is nothing new, the music is all just metalcore and/or deathcore. lyrics are awful.i do not like these guys.
11:09 PM on 09/09/10
more heart
Regular-Sized Rudy
User Info.
in my opinion, this album blew. its horribly generic, the screamer is nothing new, the music is all just metalcore and/or deathcore. lyrics are awful.i do not like these guys.
Yeah, I'm also going to have to call you out for saying this is generic while having a Woe, Is Me avatar. I'm not saying UABB is the most original band out there, but they're doing far more than Woe, Is Me.
01:59 PM on 09/15/10
Krazycev13
I tie a horrible knot.
User Info.
Woe, Is Me is a guilty pleasure. i listen to them for the vocals and the drumming, which are great. i know they arent really original, but i just like them. UABB just bothers me. 8.5 for creativity is way too high honestly. but for Woe, Is Me, i'd honestly only give them maybe a 6 for creativity.
10:46 AM on 09/16/10
more heart
Regular-Sized Rudy
User Info.
Woe, Is Me is a guilty pleasure. i listen to them for the vocals and the drumming, which are great. i know they arent really original, but i just like them. UABB just bothers me. 8.5 for creativity is way too high honestly. but for Woe, Is Me, i'd honestly only give them maybe a 6 for creativity.
It seems that what you're saying is due more for the fact you don't like UABB than because the scoring is way off. I'll agree that 8.5 for creativity is a little high, but it's not completely unwarranted. Danny's screams are some of the most recognizable in the genre(think of him as the Austin Carlile of deathcore/metalcore) and as a whole, these guys are incorporating more metal elements than most of their peers. Plus, Ramon is one sick drummer.
03:23 PM on 09/17/10
Krazycev13
I tie a horrible knot.
User Info.
It seems that what you're saying is due more for the fact you don't like UABB than because the scoring is way off. I'll agree that 8.5 for creativity is a little high, but it's not completely unwarranted. Danny's screams are some of the most recognizable in the genre(think of him as the Austin Carlile of deathcore/metalcore) and as a whole, these guys are incorporating more metal elements than most of their peers. Plus, Ramon is one sick drummer.
props for the drumming on this album. it might just be that im not the biggest fan of this genre. i feel like they're trying to be too "br00tal". and i forgot to say, this actually is a very well-written review. dont think im bashing your writing. im just expressing my opinion. and i guess they kinda are more original with straight up metal, but im pretty sure i've heard people similar to Danny around this genre. and i personally think the scoring is off, but mostly for me. the creativity should be lower, but everything else is your opinion, and i respect that. im not trying to be a dick.
02:40 PM on 09/29/10
Krazycev13
I tie a horrible knot.
User Info.
however, my honest opinion of this entire album can be summed up in four words:

chuggity chug chug chug
07:01 AM on 09/30/10
kevinAIWW
boner boner boner boner boner boner
User Info.
They aren't your typical hardcore band. That's for sure. I didn't like the album that much. I do like a couple of songs a lot. But I'm just glad they have their own distinct style of music that doesn't sound like every single other band.
04:39 PM on 10/15/10
EdenInAshes
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
As unoriginal as they may or may not be, I like the fact that I found a band that can write such a sincere, lyrically powerful song like City Hall, and have an Atilla-esque party song like Intermission. Not too bad.
05:37 AM on 11/01/10
Naenia
Ay payita mia, guardate la poesia
User Info.
I actually think these guys aren't generic at all (... okay, within the parameters of this genre). I think Danny brings somethin different to the vocals and the arrangement of the breakdowens - where there's often something else happening as well - are really strong and, again, bring something different to the table. This is actually my favorite album of 2010.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos