Password

Album Review

Drew Danburry - Goodnight, Danii Album Cover

Drew Danburry - Goodnight, Danii

Reviewed by
Drew Danburry - Goodnight, Danii
Record Label: Emergency Umbrella
Release Date: 2010
As a critic of music, it’s always fun to see an artist mature. Seeing Bright Eyes’ Conor Oberst’s ascension into a critically acclaimed folk troubadour from a poster-boy of early 2000 emo is one that we can give a glance to trace Drew Danburry’s musical path. At times, his lyrical immaturity bogs down his beautiful music, as I noted in my review of his odds and ends record Geraniums. His latest release, Goodnight Danii, shows a maturation in Danburry’s music that pays off in dividends and rewards listeners who want more emotional meat to their indie-folk.

Lyrically, Danburry is still breathtaking. Critics of music take a shot (and honestly, made me feel quite guilty) in the beautiful opening track “Nirvana, By Kurt Cobain” (We’ll run away, from those without a heart/we’ll keep on running, from those critics of art”). The song raises a question if music should be really critiqued and should be a source of solace for other artists who feel misunderstood. The song also holds the emotional weight that some people might have been waiting on from Danburry. Even the re-recording of “Artex Died in Truth or Consequences, NM” feels like less of a children’s sing-along and more of “Lifted”-era Bright Eyes. Even though Danburry isn’t as popular as Oberst, the trajectory of the maturity of their art, is similar.

The irony that his art is getting approval from critics and fans gives Goodnight Danii an atmosphere that holds the listener’s attention throughout if they have been a tenured fan or critic of Danburry. Goodnight Danii’s recording quality is exceptional compared to his other work. “The Train Has A Family, The Road Has No Home, There's No Right & Wrong In The Choice Alone” feels like it could be another, typical lo-fi folk song of Danburry's in its first minute but as a solid rhythm section, multitude of background vocals and other do-dad’s like shakers and random phone rings infiltrate the well-recorded mix, it’s clear that this is what Danburry’s music needed.

Drew Danburry, you don’t need to run away from critics and people that don’t get your art. Keep writing the gems that comprise Goodnight Danii, and we’ll keep listening and writing positive reviews like this one.

Recommended If You LikeIndie-folk; Conor Oberst; Bradley Hathaway - The Thing That Poets Write About, The Thing That Singers Sing About
This review is a user submitted review from Allular. You can see all of Allular's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
11:06 AM on 09/20/10
drewdanburry
Drew Danburry
User Info.
awesome! ha ha. Don't worry, I'm still recording a lot. Have you heard USS Leland or the Apache yet? Both those are pretty awesome and different. I just posted about USS Leland on my blog (http://drewdanburry.blogspot.com) and the Apache comes out on Halloween!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos