Password

Album Review

Hope Atlantic - Mercy Street Choir EP Album Cover

Hope Atlantic - Mercy Street Choir EP

Reviewed by
Hope AtlanticMercy Street Choir EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: September 18, 2010
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Although Hope Atlantic play rock music, they are kinda hard to categorize. At times there’s hints of Gaslight Anthem punk. But then the parlor piano comes in, and our heads are spinning and bopping at the same time. The vocals go from dive-bar gruff to angelically clean, sometimes within the same song (“Lost At Sea”). Which, yeah, is nice, I guess, if you care about bonus points like creativity. If you don’t care about creativity, or if you’re just a person with some ears, then the Mercy Street Choir EP will work for you, too. Because at its heart, all this EP ends up becoming is a few songs from a few Canadian guys who understand storytelling and melody. Lots of lines are toed, and lots of fun is had.

Despite having former members of bands I probably hate (Sick City and some band described as being both “progressive” and “metal,” yuck, right?!), this EP is both enthralling and sorta benign. Few wacko chances are taken or needed. On songs like “Cheap Summer” and “Oklahoma” the band’s punk roots are laced with country music-influenced nuances like strings and a certain indefinable “twangy” quality. And remember, they’re Canadian! Don’t cry fake accent wolf too soon, though, because the band’s ringleader Jordy Heppner spent some time in Oklahoma where many of these songs first took shape. So although this style may have started off foreign, it became the norm after time on the range, or whatever colloquialism they use in Oklahoma.

Point is, this part punk-part rock-part country mixture makes for a sound that can fit lots of different palettes. Heck, it can fit your (I’m sure!) extremely diverse palette with different songs on different days. It’s an ear chameleon, which is definitely not a thing I just made up right now. So I guess what I’m saying in way too many words is that Mercy Street Choir rocks like a mofo. Even if you’re schizophrenic.

Recommended If You Like: Alaska & Me, Gaslight Anthem, Jack's Mannequin?

beat beatwww.myspace.com/hopeatlantic

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
12:39 AM on 09/28/10
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
Yippy Skippy! Good stuff
01:30 AM on 09/28/10
Jake Denning
User Info.
Jason deleted this EP, lol.

It's good, I liked Boxes the most though, an older song
07:59 AM on 09/28/10
sjb2k1
4-3, the kyle orton show
User Info.
i like this EP.

btw, it's vs. its
09:52 AM on 09/28/10
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i like this EP.

btw, it's vs. its
thanks
10:02 AM on 09/28/10
sjb2k1
4-3, the kyle orton show
User Info.
08:07 PM on 10/03/10
jazzyonherway
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love the song Oklahoma. First heard it on the radio and looked the band up. Was pumped when I found out they're local! I've since been to 3 of their shows and think they're fantastic. Looking forward to a full album.
02:03 PM on 11/11/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Just heard about these guys. Jack's Mannequin meets Gaslight Anthem in the best way possible.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos