Password

Album Review

Zolof The Rock & Roll Destroyer -... Album Cover

Zolof The Rock & Roll Destroyer -...

Reviewed by
Zolof The Rock & Roll Destroyer - Schematics
Release Date: September 25, 2007
Record Label: Le Pamplemousse Records
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
If there's one thing I hate about music, it's the time period you have to wait for a band to release a new album. Usually a band releases a new album every two years. Some may even put out more than one album in the same year. However in Zolof The Rock & Roll Destroyer's case, their new album Schematics will be their first (and arguably best) in four years. Luckily, it was well worth the wait.

The album kicks off with "The Way It Goes," a two and a half minute opener that proves Zolof still has the ability to create quality pop songs, even if its been awhile. "Can't Stand It" provides the listener with an extremely catchy chorus that's dying to be sung along to, while the following track "Way Away" provides the same, only done at a slower tempo. Schematics' first single "Death or Radio" is one of the "darker" songs on Schematics. Even though it's obvious that "Death or Radio" is still the same Zolof, you'll notice that it is a departure from their previous material musically and lyrically.

The next song, "This Briskness (Java)," may sound familiar to Zolof fans. Back in 2005, an acoustic version of it was released onto their b-sides album titled Unicorns, Demos, B-Sides and Rainbows and is now re-recorded full band for Schematics. Despite Zolof's signature energy being added to it, there's still something missing which makes the song better off acoustic. "Secret Circuits" is a mid-tempo song with catchy verses that are bound to get stuck in your head while "I'm A Rock & Roll Mess" is probably the song that is most reminiscent to something off their self-titled or Popsicle EP. My personal favorite off Schematics is the synth-driven "So Scared." Rachel Minton's vocal performance shines in this track as she finishes off the album with "I'm not alright about fucking you over/I'm not about to be right, so then why should I try?" It's definitely one of my favorite songs that Zolof has ever written and left me wanting more.

My only complaint about this album was that it was too short. Much like every Zolof The Rock & Roll Destroyer album, it's ten tracks long clocking in just under thirty minutes. Although the more I listened to it, the more I realized that this album didn't try to do anything out of the ordinary. It presented ten fun, straight-forward and easily digestible pop songs for me that Zolof The Rock & Roll Destroyer were known best for.

Additional InformationTrack Listing
01. The Way It Goes
02. Can't Stand It
03. Way Away
04. Death Or Radio
05. This Briskness (Java)
06. I Did It
07. Secret Circuits
08. The Moon And Mars
09. I'm A Rock & Roll Mess
10. So Scared

Myspace
Order The Album

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 22
07:41 PM on 09/29/07
saving jonathan
everything in transit
User Info.
i think that 79% might be the most common rating on this website.
it's everywhere.
02:15 AM on 09/30/07
adam289
all lost in the supermarket
User Info.
fucking amazing record.
04:04 AM on 09/30/07
Adrian Villagomez
Heading Over to See 'Bout This Girl
User Info.
i think that 79% might be the most common rating on this website.
it's everywhere.
70% in general is the most common rating. Why? Because most releases we review are good enough to listen to and recommend, but they're not particularly special.
10:10 AM on 09/30/07
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
User Info.
High praise for the album, but it seems you shirt (review) doesn't match your tie (rating).
10:12 AM on 09/30/07
Chancetobe
Only the good die young
User Info.
Quote:
It presented ten fun, straight-forward and easily digestible pop songs for me that Zolof The Rock & Roll Destroyer were known best for.

Exactly. Fun music. Zolof gave me just what I wanted.
10:43 AM on 09/30/07
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.
High praise for the album, but it seems you shirt (review) doesn't match your tie (rating).

Well I could still really like something without it being amazing in musicianship or lyrics. I like CIWWAF..I know that their lyrics are horrible and they aren't good musicians but it doesn't take away from the fact that it's fun catchy music and that's what I like. If I were to review them, I may say how I like the songs, but when it comes to down to rating them, obviously I'm not going to give them a 9 in originality or an 8.5 in lyrics. Don't know if that made any sense, but hopefully you get what I mean.
10:59 AM on 09/30/07
driftsandpulls
User Info.
Well I could still really like something without it being amazing in musicianship or lyrics. I like CIWWAF..I know that their lyrics are horrible and they aren't good musicians but it doesn't take away from the fact that it's fun catchy music and that's what I like. If I were to review them, I may say how I like the songs, but when it comes to down to rating them, obviously I'm not going to give them a 9 in originality or an 8.5 in lyrics. Don't know if that made any sense, but hopefully you get what I mean.

I totally hear you, man. I use to be in saysmydoctors boat. It annoyed the hellouttame, not only on this site, but others as well when I didn't think a review measured up with the rating.
Then I realized that just because a review has little or nothing to say about the negative things in an album, that it doesn't mean the album's rating should be high, it just means it wasn't extremely special and most of the time it means the reviewer did a good job of being fair.
I'm not sure what I said made much sense either.
At any rate...

Excellent review, I can't wait to pick this up.
11:43 AM on 09/30/07
Moral_Orel
DIG IT!!!
User Info.

It makes entire sense. I.E. I can listen to southern rap. I think it's absolutely dreadful most of the time. However if you're in a party environment and want to dance it's outright fun easy to sing along to and have a good time with.

Anyway, kudos Zolof you've once again made my life :)
12:43 PM on 09/30/07
Praetor
bippity boppity
User Info.
Hmm...I'm kinda torn on this record. It's really, really fun, but Rachel's vocals kinda kill it. She has a beautiful voice, but she tries to make her voice too cutesy. It's like she's talking to me like a kindergarten teacher talks to her student. If you kinda know what I'm saying.
12:51 PM on 09/30/07
Clark
Dirk Nowitzki's Beard
User Info.
"an extremely chorus that's dying to be sung along to"

Missing a word there?
01:42 PM on 09/30/07
shortymcsteve
User Info.
Hmm ive never really been interested in this band.
I seen them live last night as they suported Motion City Soundtrack on their UK tour.. they were the first band on, i was rather suprised that the band does not have a bassist, so i was rather qurious to hear what they sounded like.
I was also rather suprised on how high the singers voice is..
Anyway, after a few songs, i relised that this band was missing one huge thing from their music..
Energy! their guitarist and drummer just stood about like it was band practice not really embracing the atmosphere and not really noticing the crowd.

Ive not realy listen to this album yet.. but as last night was really the first real time i herd them, i was disapointed by the energy they gave on stage. It was more their singer trying to get the crowd moving.

Also, after that some other band came on (sorry, i forgot their name) and the drummer was in this band too! and also the guitarist was now playing bass, but they explaned how their bassist was at a friends weding and could not attend the show, so the other guy was filling in.

But, is the drummer a member of both bands?
01:48 PM on 09/30/07
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.
Hmm ive never really been interested in this band.
I seen them live last night as they suported Motion City Soundtrack on their UK tour.. they were the first band on, i was rather suprised that the band does not have a bassist, so i was rather qurious to hear what they sounded like.
I was also rather suprised on how high the singers voice is..
Anyway, after a few songs, i relised that this band was missing one huge thing from their music..
Energy! their guitarist and drummer just stood about like it was band practice not really embracing the atmosphere and not really noticing the crowd.

Ive not realy listen to this album yet.. but as last night was really the first real time i herd them, i was disapointed by the energy they gave on stage. It was more their singer trying to get the crowd moving.

Also, after that some other band came on (sorry, i forgot their name) and the drummer was in this band too! and also the guitarist was now playing bass, but they explaned how their bassist was at a friends weding and could not attend the show, so the other guy was filling in.

But, is the drummer a member of both bands?

No, the drummer is a main member of Straylight Run (which was the band you saw and didn't know the name of). I'm pretty sure Zolof only has two official members and when they tour they have people fill in.
01:56 PM on 09/30/07
highkick
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i think i saw you guys at bottom of the hill, sf, right? with maldroid and suburban legends?
02:19 PM on 09/30/07
bubonic311
User Info.
I agree: a CD that clocks in less than 30 minutes (27 minutes in Zolof's case) is a little disappointing. It's a good thing that Zolof delivers in that short time frame.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos