AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Weezer - Pinkerton Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 9.25
Production 7.5
Creativity 9.5
Lasting Value 9.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Final Verdict: 90%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.19
Musicianship 9.44
Lyrics 9.73
Production 9.14
Creativity 9.08
Lasting Value 9.84
Reviewer Tilt 9.63
Average: 94%
Inside AP.net

Weezer - Pinkerton

Reviewed by: Tyler Dumont (04/15/07)
Weezer - Pinkerton

After the success of Weezer's first self-titled album, or "The Blue Album" as fans affectionately call it, frontman/singer/songwriter/musical genius Rivers Cuomo went into hiding. Well, he grew a beard, enrolled at Harvard for his first semester, and would constantly be full of pain due to a leg brace that he had to crank almost a half-an-inch to lengthen one leg. Who'd want to go out after that? Clearly not Rivers. Needless to say, he became a recluse and painted his walls and windows black. He even disconnected his phone. And in this room, which many would consider depressing and uninspiring, Rivers wrote arguably the best and most relatable songs he'd ever written.

Songs about being lovelorn and lost. Songs about being tired of groupie sex, then wanting to get back to the "good life." Songs about wanting a girl whom you can't have, all layered over beautiful vocals, distorted angry guitars, pounding drums, melodies, and climaxes. A line from the song "El Scorcho" states the whole mood of the album: "How stupid is it? I can't talk about it, I gotta sing about it and make a record of my heart. How stupid is it? Won't ya give me a minute? Just come up to me and say hello to my heart. How stupid is it? For all I know you want me to, maybe you just don't know what to do, or maybe you're scared to say 'I'm falling for you'".

Sound familiar? This is the palate for most of today's emo-rock bands. And you'd think this album would be a smash hit, right? Wrong. Pinkerton was way ahead of it's time. Like "voted 2nd worst album of 1996 in Rolling Stone" ahead of it's time .

Due to this and a shear lack of any mainstream support, Rivers became very depressed, and the band went on "hiatus." In the years following the hiatus, emo-rock had gotten popular and Pinkerton was now a "cult-classic." Bands playing through chants of "Weezer! Weezer!" at their coveted 1999 Warped Tour return knew something was up, and there was definitely a certain vibe in the air of things starting to come around for Rivers and Co. Of course what followed was the "Green Album " and mass success from there.

As far as the worshiped '96 album goes nowadays, Rolling Stone Magazine recently re-reviewed it and gave it 5 stars and put it in their hall of fame.

So you're looking for something you can relate to in a pseudo emo-rock way. Well, from the raunchy solos and rock of "Tired of Sex", to the beautiful acoustic album closer "Butterfly", Pinkerton's rollercoaster ride is right for you.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
02:28 PM on 04/18/07
harveyn590
User Info.
Blue album is one of the best albums ever and pinkerton isnt too bad either. After that though, its all garbage.
09:39 AM on 04/20/07
FUCKDIRTYWIPES
Kicking it middle school
User Info.
this is possibly my favorite cd ever.
12:22 PM on 04/20/07
BE A MAN
Registered Creep
User Info.
This review is directly plagarized from an Amazon.com review of Pinkerton. Well, unless that's your review on amazon.
12:24 PM on 04/20/07
rerelease_
Registered Member
User Info.
i love pinkerton with passion
03:34 PM on 04/20/07
Adrian Villagomez
West of the World
User Info.
Oh, I think this album deserves more than 88%.
09:35 PM on 04/20/07
Tyler Dumont
@tylerdumont
User Info.
This review is directly plagarized from an Amazon.com review of Pinkerton. Well, unless that's your review on amazon.

What the hell are you talking about? I've never read the amazon review...and wrote this one a few years ago for another community.

Meh whatever.

-Tyler
09:36 PM on 04/20/07
Tyler Dumont
@tylerdumont
User Info.
Oh, I think this album deserves more than 88%.

haha somehow I thought it would come out better....oh well, i'm new to this.
10:04 PM on 04/20/07
Adrian Villagomez
West of the World
User Info.
haha somehow I thought it would come out better....oh well, i'm new to this.
Well, that was just my opinion, so there's no right or wrong.
07:15 PM on 04/22/07
CellarGhosts
cellarghosts.tumblr.com
User Info.
Incredible album, one of my favorites, and definatley Weezer's best.
Good review.
07:07 AM on 05/02/07
awkward_stu
User Info.
Pinkerton Is Perfection!
04:26 AM on 10/02/07
adam289
all lost in the supermarket
User Info.
one of the best records of all time.
10:39 PM on 01/10/08
hectorial85
Saved The Day
User Info.
its my fave album of all time. songs from the black hole are slowly coming out here and there. =w= rock!
10:49 AM on 01/31/08
ETesdall
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This album is unbelievable. I was like 12 when this cd comes out. I still have the original copy I got the year it came out. Never get tired of listening to it. A classic in every sense of the word. Emo and dark without being (nirvana grunge) well before its time. Good call.
09:18 AM on 06/15/08
Curtis&BemisRok
User Info.
This is def in my top 5, maybe even my #1. it is justsimply amazing and I never get tired of it.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums