Password

Album Review

Lazerbeak - Legend Recognize Legend Album Cover

Lazerbeak - Legend Recognize Legend

Reviewed by
Lazerbeak - Legend Recognize Legend
Record Label: Doomtree Records
Release Date: September 28, 2010
Over the last few years, the hip-hop collective known as Doomtree has gained a ton of recognition as well as critical success. Thanks in no small part to their flagship artist P.O.S., this group of individuals has done a great job of spreading hip-hop's influences into scenes where the genre could never previously establish a foothold. After releasing two spectacular Doomtree mixtapes, the group seemed to be unfaltering and on the verge of a genre coup d'état the likes of which has never been seen before.

Unfortunately, that bright future never happened. While P.O.S. became a household name of sorts in hip-hop circles, only those that were determined to dig deeper became familiar with the other members of the Doomtree collective. Of the unsung heroes, the most influential is most definitely producer Aaron Mader, also known as Lazerbeak. Mader broke into the music business at a very early age as part of the Minneapolis indie band The Plastic Constellations. He carried the rich sound he created with a full band into his productions amazingly well, and he's since become famous for his expansive melodies and unique sequencing.

His biography on the Doomtree website credits him with the creation of over 400 unique beats during the course of his career, and he shows no signs of stopping. While he's contributed to collaborations with other Doomtree artists such as Mike Mictlan and Sims over the years, Lazerbeak only recently dropped his debut solo album Legend Recognize Legend, where he flexes both his production strengths and vocal abilities.

The album opener, “Dream Team,” begins simply enough. A quick metronome intro is soon joined by repetitive piano chords and bass licks. It's a very creative beginning, as more and more pieces continue to be piled onto the bare bones of the song. Step by step, the song changes and evolves, but never feels incomplete or heavy as the song bounces along. The introduction of Lazerbeak's vocals, average as they might be, do nothing to sully the beauty of the track's production. “Dream Team” is a great introduction to his signature song structure and style.

Right after this intro we dive headfirst into “Land's End,” a track driven by a pounding drum beat that only relents on the choruses, giving you a peek at some of the behind-the-scenes keys and vocal arrangements that back Lazerbeak up. It's with this track that the album begins to ramp up, expanding from quirky production to a full-blown musical vista that expands further and further with each second.

“Bound” and “Wild Life” take residence in the middle of the album with a fantastic one-two punch. “Bound” is a despondent, unstoppable track propped up by a heavy back beat and echoing string orchestration. Lazerbeak is joined in the choruses by a female vocalist who lends an air of beauty to that department, matching up perfectly with Lazerbeak's reverent whispers. “Wild Life” is a mostly instrumental track led by a clapping rhythm and Lazerbeak's signature epic synth scores. The introduction of tribal drums and an interesting vocal presence from both sampling and Lazerbeak's own nonsense la-di-da's make this a fun, bouncing track that offers a nice break from the sprawling epics that make up either side of the album.

Strangely enough, a huge plus this album carries is the lyrics. Although they are all delivered with Lazerbeak's oddly unique breathlessness, they're descriptive and highly creative. Songs like “Salt and Sea” and “Cannon Falls” are carried by these lyrics and almost seem to be representations of far-off lands, undiscovered and wild. While the colossal production value helps in making these songs seem like tangible forces, they are given a huge boost by the lyrics and the way they intertwine within the songs to almost become instruments themselves.

Lazerbeak has the uncanny ability to create sonic landscapes through his music, and it's incredibly easy to imagine these songs expanding from the confinements of mere speakers into living, breathing worlds full of life and vibrancy. Lazerbeak's vocals, while less than impressive, get the job done. They're good enough to never get in the way of the fantastic production, but will leave you wanting more as the album flows through to its conclusion. This is not an ordinary album; it's an organic production from one of the industry's greats. Legend Recognize Legend is an album that demands to be heard, and it would be a huge disservice to your ears to pass this one up.

Track List1. Dream Team

2. Land's End

3. Let It Go

4. Bound

5. Wild Life

6. Salt and Sea

7. Pearly Gates

8. Cannon Falls

9. Tempest

10. Foothills

Official Page | Official Myspace | "Land's End" Official Video
This review is a user submitted review from Ian Walker. You can see all of Ian Walker's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 25
12:09 AM on 10/13/10
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
User Info.
Criminally underrated collective, and album. So great. Honored that they're from my state.

Awesome review, as well.
12:37 AM on 10/13/10
vivatoto56
Your wick won't burn away
User Info.
Awesome album. Really great to bump.

It's been a really good year for hip hop imo.

My one problem would be it's hard to listen to the full album, as his voice isn't the most pleasant thing in the world.

Great review too
12:50 AM on 10/13/10
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
Criminally underrated collective, and album. So great. Honored that they're from my state.

Awesome review, as well.
gotta disagree. i say they're overrated to shit, especially on this site.

that being said, this is the best album to come out on this label since never better. i love what he did with it and am really impressed with the risks he took, especially since this is his debut solo effort.

dope review.
05:35 AM on 10/13/10
tfieldz
All The World Is Mad
User Info.
gotta disagree. i say they're overrated to shit, especially on this site.

that being said, this is the best album to come out on this label since never better. i love what he did with it and am really impressed with the risks he took, especially since this is his debut solo effort.

dope review.
. can't say they're really overrated cause no one talks about mictlan, cecil, or sims. I love POS but I feel like he's the only one truly that is overrated on this website, just an opinion. I usually am with you on your hip hop views haha
06:44 AM on 10/13/10
thechetearly
thechetearly
User Info.
i LOVE this record so much, once i get over the fact that his voice reminds me of smash mouth.

it's also a GRRREAT headphones listen. a lot to take apart from it.
08:29 AM on 10/13/10
bobby runs
I dunno
User Info.
. can't say they're really overrated cause no one talks about mictlan, cecil, or sims. I love POS but I feel like he's the only one truly that is overrated on this website, just an opinion. I usually am with you on your hip hop views haha
Dessa's album was way overrated on this site when it came out. It has its good moments but overall I find it boring.
08:36 AM on 10/13/10
tfieldz
All The World Is Mad
User Info.
Dessa's album was way overrated on this site when it came out. It has its good moments but overall I find it boring.

I'd agree with you on that, i'd have to say Dixon's Girl is an awesome track though. Dessa was hyped pretty highly on here, but not as much as P.O.S. Dont get me wrong, P.O.S. is extremely talented and i love his music but people put him on such a pedastool that it's ridiculous. I feel bad for the other members of Doomtree cause not many people seem to either know or talk about them
08:43 AM on 10/13/10
TylerDurden911
Carpe*Diem Films
User Info.
Amazing album, definitely one my favorites of the year!
09:02 AM on 10/13/10
bobby runs
I dunno
User Info.
I'd agree with you on that, i'd have to say Dixon's Girl is an awesome track though. Dessa was hyped pretty highly on here, but not as much as P.O.S. Dont get me wrong, P.O.S. is extremely talented and i love his music but people put him on such a pedastool that it's ridiculous. I feel bad for the other members of Doomtree cause not many people seem to either know or talk about them
I personally feel that Never Better was a great album and he is super talented. In terms of the other members I say that none of them will really be known since their styles are something it takes a while to get into.
09:05 AM on 10/13/10
kbi the crowing
dr( )ning the days away
User Info.
This review makes the album sound promising. I suppose I'll have to check this out.
09:07 AM on 10/13/10
tfieldz
All The World Is Mad
User Info.
I personally feel that Never Better was a great album and he is super talented. In terms of the other members I say that none of them will really be known since their styles are something it takes a while to get into.

I agree 100%. Never Better got me fully into hiphop and rap and i'll always listen to that album. As sad as it is, you're probably right about the rest of Doomtree. I feel like Mike Mictlan should be pretty big though, his flow is so crazy
09:43 AM on 10/13/10
2LW
I'm starting to decompose
User Info.
Loved Dessa and POS is nice too. Glad you reviewed this! I'll check this out.
09:55 AM on 10/13/10
Holly HoX!
User Info.
This is one of my favorite albums of the years. 50% Doom 50% TPC. TPC went to my high school and all the guys grew up in my neighborhood. It's great to see Aaron breakout with this release well-deserved and well-executed.
02:08 PM on 10/13/10
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I agree 100%. Never Better got me fully into hiphop and rap and i'll always listen to that album. As sad as it is, you're probably right about the rest of Doomtree. I feel like Mike Mictlan should be pretty big though, his flow is so crazy
We'll see if that changes when Sims' album drops in February...

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos