Password

Album Review

My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade Album Cover

My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade

Reviewed by
My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade
Record Label: Reprise Records
Release Date: October 23rd, 2006
My Chemical Romance formed in 2001, shortly after lead singer Gerard Way witnessed the September 11 attacks and decided he wanted to do something meaningful with his life. The band worked quickly to release their first album I Bought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love out by 2002. It showed the band trying to find their sound, from the powerful guitar riffs to the quick drums, all raging against Way's amazing vocals. My Chemical Romance's second album,Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge then showed the band's evolution from their first album with a much more consistent sound.

The Black Parade is yet another step up. Featuring a completely new sound again, the band takes on a more theatrical sound in this album. Beginning, ironically, with the song "The End", the album is loosely based on the story of a cancer patient. This being the main theme behind the music, the album is full of high emotions. "The End" is just one of the songs which uses ideas outside of the five-piece band. A piano is a constant extra throughout the album, as well as a choir in a few songs.

The band seems to have solidified their sound by their latest album, though each song is still unique in itself. They go from fast, radio-friendly songs such as "Dead!," "Welcome To The Black Parade" and "Teenagers," to the soft and slow "Cancer" and "Disenchanted," to the powerful, fast-moving "House Of Wolves," which is more reminiscent of their roots in I Bought You My Bullets. The album explores many different themes and issues including suicide, relationships, trends, alcohol, life and death, fame, terrorism.

Lyrically, the band has evolved exponentially on this album. Always eloquent with their words, songs such as "This Is How I Disappear", "I Don't Love You" and "Sleep" have moved the band into the territory of poetry. Way has improved in leaps and bounds with his vocals, never afraid of trying something new and taking risks. This is again apparent in the band's third album as Way's vocals blow us away over and over again in "Welcome To The Black Parade," "I Don't Love You" and the powerful last track, "Famous Last Words".

Hidden track, "Blood" is lyrically reminiscent of Misfits, but is completely different from anything the band has done up until now. The short track shows again the range of Way's vocals. My Chemical Romance has not stopped evolving in huge doses, and we can only wait to see how their sound progresses yet again with their fourth studio album.

Recommended If You LikeThe Used; AFI; Ironmaiden

myspace.com/mychemicalromance
This review is a user submitted review from em.e. You can see all of em.e's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21
10:21 PM on 10/16/10
domotime2
great googily moogily
User Info.
great album.
11:21 AM on 10/17/10
Spenny
Hearts without chains.
User Info.
Great album. Kind of confused about the N/A for Musicianship though.
11:55 AM on 10/17/10
xapplexpiex
&.&
User Info.
I don't think the RIYL is very accurate with this album. These guys are one of my favorite bands, but I wouldn't rate it that high. And why no musicianship score? Anyways, I love this album. Nostalgia, nostalgia, nostalgia. And I still love it to this day.
12:32 PM on 10/17/10
karadoll
Open up a little happiness today.
User Info.
Love this album.

Also, lol at this being posted at 10:14 on 10/14.

What was the score? I can't see it on my phone.
04:07 PM on 10/17/10
OnaedInSpace
she sucked and sucked and sucked.
User Info.
shit review, shit album, shit score.
05:29 PM on 10/17/10
mikeandike1993
im asian!!!!!!!
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
shit review, shit album, shit score.
and your a piece of shit

great album
03:56 AM on 10/18/10
OnaedInSpace
she sucked and sucked and sucked.
User Info.
and your a piece of shit

great album
you're*
04:47 AM on 10/18/10
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
Album is good, I''ll admit, but not this good. Vox are not a perfect 10. Also, the outfits have to mean an instant -5%.
Little bit of filler here, Cancer isn't as good if you listen to it intently, and the lyrical theme is blurry but not in an intriguing way.
07:56 PM on 10/19/10
mike'smannequin
Registered Member
User Info.
pretty good album idk about 96 but it is good
12:28 PM on 10/21/10
ShipwreckHeart
latenightsingalongs.com
User Info.
pretty good album idk about 96 but it is good

backed
06:30 AM on 10/22/10
fobmcrafi6
down with the fad
User Info.
Great album. Kind of confused about the N/A for Musicianship though.
this! ?
07:40 PM on 10/22/10
Deathco_019
I demand a trial by combat.
User Info.
Awful album by an even more awful band. One of the only bands I've actually come to loathe.
10:02 PM on 10/22/10
brwnhawaiin
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
lol, 96. They peaked at Three Cheers, after that its been a steep downhill fall NANANNAANANNANNA lol
10:20 AM on 10/23/10
S7ranburgLar
We're not for them(and that's cool)
User Info.
the kids who liked this band at my high school ruined this album for me.
i never gave it a chance, apparently you like it though..
96, are you fucking kidding?
nice review though.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests