Username
Password
General Announcement News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
General Announcement
Inside AP.net

Technology Round-Up (10/18/10)

Posted by: Linda Ferreira (10/18/10)
Head to the replies to read this week's Technology Round-Up.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21
09:10 PM on 10/18/10
Linda Ferreira
The Retired Maillady
User Info.
Thanks to Chad and Melissa for putting this together.

Technology Round-Up Poll

Experts are worried that toddlers are becoming addicted to their parents' iPhones. They argue that playing with iPhones hinders toddlers' development. Do you agree? [Poll]

Apple

Apple has announced record earnings yet again.

Apple has developed a patent to block sexting.

The Verizon iPhone may be one of the few devices to offer simultaneous data and voice on a CDMA network.

Check out a picture of the 11.6-inch Macbook Air as well as details about the 13.3-inch version. The device will apparently have a battery life of 8 to 10 hours.

Greenpois0n has been released and can jailbreak the iPhone 4, 3Gs, iPad, and iPod Touch 4G/3G. While Chad unsuccessfully fought with Limera1n (announced in last week's round-up) for well over an hour in attempts to jailbreak his iPad last week, he was able to successfully use Greenpois0n on the second attempt.

Steve Jobs has denied rumors of a 7-inch iPad.

If the iPad were categorized as a PC, Apple would be the top computer vendor in the United States. As it is, however, Apple has surpassed the 10% mark.

AT&T is pitching iPads with discounted data plans to businesses.

Though many people are unimpressed with Apple TV, the device has sold a respectable 250,000 units in the first six weeks.

Internet

Mozilla gets a new CEO.

Microsoft's Docs for Facebook gets some major updates. The two companies are also teaming up to show things your Facebook friends "liked" further up in Bing searches.

Facebook is offering a new security feature: one-time use passwords. Users text Facebook to receive a password that is only valid for 20 minutes. Unfortunately another security feature is not so time-friendly -- it can take up to 16 months for photos to be deleted from Facebook.

Buy a poster of all your Facebook friends for only $20.

71% of 1.2 billion Twitter posts are ignored.

Learn how to download captions from YouTube videos.

If your email inbox is constantly overloaded, try out these tips to keep your mailbox organized and clear.

The new Skype (available only on Windows, for now) gets some sweet upgrades, like Facebook integration and group video calling.

AOL might be buying Yahoo.

URL shortener Bit.ly will now create QR codes for you.

HasWiFi will tell you if your future airline flight will have WiFi.

See 35 very entertaining 404 error pages.

Google

Google Analytics gets an in-page view so you can view your site's statistics right on the page.

Over 56% of universities have made the switch to Google Apps.

See what it's like to use Sony's Google TV. They'll be available in Best Buy stores starting October 24.

Use Find Big Mail to sort you Gmail attachments by size.

If you haven't yet discovered Google's "The World Is Full Of Interesting Things" slideshow, be sure to check it out.

Google Building Maker
turned 1 this week.

Hardware acceleration has been pushed back to Chrome 9.

Google invested in Atlantic Wind Connection, a backbone transmission project that works to increase the everyday consumer's use of alternative energy (wind power).

Google Chrome OS may be released on November 11th.

Google's latest project: a driverless car.

A kite has been replacing some Google Earth photos.

Google Sky gets a new social layer from Slooh.

Use Google's Flu Vaccine Finder to locate places around you to get flu shots at.

Electronics

This robotic curtain can see when people are peaking through your window, and will block their view accordingly.

Canon is working on a new printer and scanner that censors out important words in documents.

Check out this solar-powered tricycle that's built for real men.

This fancy bike gets personalized with your name.

Amazon is segmenting shorter-length e-books called Kindle Singles.

HP's latest printer has a mini detachable Android tablet that acts as a remote for the printer.

Squarehead Technology's latest invention is the AudioScope, a microphone and camera combination that can pinpoint the exact location of any sounds in an arena.

Mobile

A new study indicates that the average teen texts 3,339 times per month. Is this number higher, lower, or about the same as what you'd expect?

Motorola is trying to cripple Apple's patent stranglehold by challenging 11 of Apple's iPhone patents.

People in the U.S. and Canada pay the most for cell phone plans. Are you surprised?

Sprint has added New York and Los Angeles to its list of 4G WiMax-enabled cities.

T-Mobile may soon offer a data-lite plan for $10 per month.

The Old Spice guy smells good while using his Windows Phone 7 device.

Check out videos of the HTC 7 Pro and HTC 7 Surround.

Sony Ericcson has a 16-megapixel cellphone on the way.

Engadget has reviewed the Samsung Transform and the Nokia N8.

Froyo is coming to Galaxy S phones near you.

See a comparison between 4G, 3G, and WiFi speeds on the Epic 4G.

Women are not interested in Android. Would any ladies out there like to chime in?

VPlayer is the unofficial version of VLC for Android.

Angry Birds is the hit app on Android devices, selling over 1 million copies in a single day. Who says there's no money to be made on the Android Market?

After Gingerbread and Honeycomb, Android will reach version Ice Cream.

Computer

There is honor among thieves--one laptop thief in Sweden sent a USB drive back to the victim with a backup of the computer's data.

Tablets are very helpful to children with speech and communication disorders.

Tablet PC sales are expected to reach 20 million this year.

The next generation of Radeon cards will launch next week.

Though Opera is often at the forefront of browsing features, the browser will soon be adding extensions.

Adobe Reader X (because "10" wouldn't have been nearly as cool) will be released in the next 30 days.

Windows 7 SP1 has leaked. No need to rush to download it though, as it appears that it will be officially released on October 23

Nvidia has released Forceware 260.89. ATI has released Catalyst 10.9a.

Tips/Tricks

Learn the proper way to clean your electronic devices.

Sleeping more can help you lose weight.

Learn how to find the best recipes online.

Keep track of your iPhone gaming friends with Raptr.

Jailbroken iPhone and iPod Touch users can now use fullscreen browsing and multi-touch gestures in Safari.

biteSMS makes texting on iPhones more convenient.

Cover your PC tracks with Square Privacy Cleaner (free).

Linux users can style their operating systems like OS X with Macbuntu.

Make 10 fast food recipes from your house.

Miscellaneous

Touchscreen devices harbor nasty germs.

This pool made in Japan can create waves in any shape using computer-controlled actuators.

A new species of fish was discovered 4.5 miles under the sea.

A McDonald's Happy Meal was left, untouched, for 6 months; the burger and fries looked exactly the same the last day as it did on the first. The company has issued a response, stating that it must know the specific circumstances the food was in for it to make a conclusion.

Remember the Back To The Future self-lacing shoes that were up for action last week? Marty McFly's resizing jacket is also up for action.

A small design studio made a letterpress out of Lego blocks.

Watch a man solve the world's tiniest Rubik Cube.

--
Contributors: CyberInferno, klawansie7
09:38 PM on 10/18/10
re7ard1337
You don't mean a thing to me.
User Info.
good work, a lot of this stuff is really interesting.
09:49 PM on 10/18/10
HeavenResign
Registered Member
User Info.
Love reading these.
09:53 PM on 10/18/10
John_Barnes
I'm not a self help book.
User Info.
The inner nerd in me is loving all of this.
10:05 PM on 10/18/10
underdawg1119
fghtffyrdmns
User Info.
Thank god for being jailbroken again. Used limera1n though. Greenpois0n didn't work.
10:08 PM on 10/18/10
CyberInferno
Tech Round-up Author,Chipotle Lover
User Info.
Thank god for being jailbroken again. Used limera1n though. Greenpois0n didn't work.
Interesting. As I mentioned in the round-up, I fought with Limera1n over and over. Uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes, switched versions, etc. It kept reporting success but leaving me with the iTunes connect logo on the iPad. Greenpois0n did the trick quickly.
10:18 PM on 10/18/10
underdawg1119
fghtffyrdmns
User Info.
Interesting. As I mentioned in the round-up, I fought with Limera1n over and over. Uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes, switched versions, etc. It kept reporting success but leaving me with the iTunes connect logo on the iPad. Greenpois0n did the trick quickly.
That is strange. With greenpois0n it would say it was in DFU mode and begin the jailbreak process, but it would say "Failed :(" every time and leave my iPod either white screened or at the Connect to iTunes screen. I then downloaded limera1n and ran it once, and it worked perfectly.
10:20 PM on 10/18/10
CyberInferno
User Info.
That is strange. With greenpois0n it would say it was in DFU mode and begin the jailbreak process, but it would say "Failed :(" every time and leave my iPod either white screened or at the Connect to iTunes screen. I then downloaded limera1n and ran it once, and it worked perfectly.
I guess it's convenient there are two cracking methods then! Hopefully they're as unpatchable as the developers claim.
10:28 PM on 10/18/10
underdawg1119
fghtffyrdmns
User Info.
I guess it's convenient there are two cracking methods then! Hopefully they're as unpatchable as the developers claim.
Ha, agreed.
02:02 AM on 10/19/10
WinterInMyBones
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Those 404 pages still only help to piss me off, except for the "cute kitten" (I can forgive that) and "double rainbow" one (that one's kinda cool).
05:40 AM on 10/19/10
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
I'd ask my 2 year old son if he thinks iPhones are bad for kids but he's too busy playing with one.
05:42 AM on 10/19/10
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
How does backgrounding work on 4.0+. The reason I haven't upgraded yet (I'm JB'd on 3.1.3) is that I like the way that Kirakae+Backgrounder works, and I don't want to have to deal with Apple's fake-ass 4.0 backgrounding. Can you get the JB'd apps to overrule the iOS default?
06:17 AM on 10/19/10
sevinw0rds
Polyrhythms!
User Info.
I'd buy a poster of all my Facebook friends...no I wouldn't.

Great round-up as always!
06:39 AM on 10/19/10
CyberInferno
User Info.
How does backgrounding work on 4.0+. The reason I haven't upgraded yet (I'm JB'd on 3.1.3) is that I like the way that Kirakae+Backgrounder works, and I don't want to have to deal with Apple's fake-ass 4.0 backgrounding. Can you get the JB'd apps to overrule the iOS default?
I had to actually look that up lol. Never used iOS 4 myself. According to PC World: "Every time you open an app, it gets added to the tray, and the only way to close it is by pressing and holding any app icon, then clicking the top-left corner of the apps you want to close. If you don't micromanage, the tray quickly becomes overrun with clutter, making it hard to find the apps you really need." While PC World isn't my favorite magazine, this article titled "Multitasking With iOS 4 is Horrible: Apple Blew It" is fairly well-written.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests