AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Frantic, The - Audio & Murder Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 7.75
Production 7.75
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 6.75
Lyrics 6.75
Production 8.5
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Average: 80%

Frantic, The - Audio & Murder

Reviewed by: average_jane (10/08/07)
The Frantic - Audio & Murder
Record Label: Sinister Muse Records & Empyrean Records
Release Date: November 06, 2007

There's not a lot of real punk music left anymore - not punk music with passion. Most of that kind of punk these days tends to be of the political variety, but The Frantic have created a record that encompasses these qualities, while still feeling like a good old-fashioned party.

These young Chicagoans (the oldest are just eighteen) combine the raw power of The Sex Pistols with the hooks of Set Your Goals. Audio & Murder bursts into action with a shout of "We're the Frantic! Who the fuck are you?!" and Ramones-esque "hey hey hey"s over pounding drums and stuttering guitars. "Big Papa" features a massive vocal hook in the chorus along with rapid fire verses that are bound to get a crowd riled up. There are even the faintest touches of synth accenting the guitars.

The growling vocals and undercurrent of power chords continue throughout the next few tracks, and the band doesn't loosen its grip on the listener for a second. "Fast Girl" provides prime opportunities for fist-pumping and crowd participation, as does the driving beat of "Frantic Summer." The lyrics aren't particularly deep, but they're relatable - tales of best friends and ex-girlfriends galore. Every suburban kid will key into the short spoken bit in "Frantic Summer" where two of the guys talk about having nothing to do since there aren't any shows that night.

"Movin' Along" is an acoustic ballad about moving to the city and not looking back at ex-girlfriends. It's got a country vibe to it, which doesn't fit the rest of the album at all. Regardless, it's a pretty song in the vein of Limbeck and Steel Train. After that divergent track, the band leaps back into their regular sound with "Rock & Roll Renegades" and keeps it there for the rest of the album.

The most entertaining track on the record by far is the closer, "Heifer." Clearly someone had a bitter breakup:

Your waist is a waste of space / My ass looks like your face /
You are a fat fuckin' heifer / I said / You fat piece of shit

The best part is that this chorus is one of the biggest hooks on the entire album. There are also handclaps and gang vocals - this will be a fan favorite for years to come for this band.

Audio & Murder clocks in at 25 minutes and 51 seconds. That's far too short and I want to hear more, but on the other hand, there isn't a single track I'd consider to be filler, and any attempt to stretch out the running time would have dragged the album down considerably. This is a great debut album by a band that has heaps of potential; I hope Audio & Murder will catapult them into view of the music community.

Track Listing01. We're the Frantic
02. Big Papa
03. Fast Girl
04. Frantic Summer
05. Movin' Along
06. Rock & Roll Renegade
07. Audio & Murder
08. I Don't Want to Be Alone
09. Always Gonna Roll
10. Hollywood Homicide
11. Heifer

For Fans OfThe Ramones, MxPx, Dude Ranch-era Blink-182

Listen AtWeb Site | MySpace | PureVolume

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6.
10:04 AM on 10/16/07
QueensBLVD
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
From start to finish this album was horrible.
04:26 PM on 10/16/07
llmp
Incorrigality
User Info.
I'm confused. The impression I get from the album you reviewed sounds nothing like their myspace songs (growling vocals?), but those songs aren't referenced here. Are they really that different?
04:46 PM on 10/16/07
average_jane
poppunkjunkie.blogspot.co m
User Info.
I'm confused. The impression I get from the album you reviewed sounds nothing like their myspace songs (growling vocals?), but those songs aren't referenced here. Are they really that different?

There are a couple of songs where their vocalist dips into a lower range for parts of the tracks. Sorry that was unclear!
05:07 PM on 10/16/07
llmp
Incorrigality
User Info.
Sorry that was unclear!

Nah, I think I just misread.
10:40 AM on 10/21/07
xerovision1
lies
User Info.
i haven't heard this yet., and i probably won't. but judging by the new sound of their myspace songs, they're such sellouts. these songs are nothing like they were 2 years ago. they were actually punk back then, it's more like simple plan now.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests