AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
I Call Fives - Bad Advice EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7.75
Production 8.5
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 78%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 9.05
Lyrics 8.8
Production 9.25
Creativity 8.55
Lasting Value 8.55
Reviewer Tilt 9.15
Average: 89%
Inside AP.net

I Call Fives - Bad Advice EP

Reviewed by: Thomas Nassiff (11/04/10)
I Call Fives - Bad Advice EP
Release Date: May 25, 2010
Record Label: No Sleep Records

It’s a downright crime how some music doesn’t get the attention it deserves. Even on this website, where we strive to cover the best and biggest of new releases, there is occasionally a worthwhile one that falls through the cracks. While it’s bound to happen and is darn near unavoidable, that doesn’t make it any less of a complete bummer that the release in question didn’t get the review it deserved.

At this particular juncture, the release in question is I Call Fives’ Bad Advice EP. This six song effort is not only one of the better EPs put out in 2010, but it has cemented I Call Fives as one of a growing group of current pop punk acts that are making moves in the new decade. I Call Fives are doing it themselves, constantly touring and consistently forwarding their name and making themselves a bigger part of this scene that we’re all in together.

What makes the EP so worthy of note? Well the easiest answer is the purely explosive and upbeat nature of I Call Fives’ sound. Jeff Todd’s vocals are some of the most enjoyable you’ll hear from this genre in 2010, right up there with Matty Arsenault’s work with A Loss for Words. The guitar work offered up by Mike Gavarone and Ant Plata, while not breaking any boundaries, is hook-laden and all that a listener should desire in a release like this.

Bad Advice begins with its best two songs, “Hand Me Down Luck” and “Elevator Music”. The former serves as a swell opener while the latter is dangerously infectious and ranks among the better sing-alongs this year. It has climbed to the northern regions of my iTunes play count as a song that people will return to even after years have passed.

“Try Hard to Remember” is highlighted by Todd’s work in the chorus, where he belts out “So try hard to remember / All the people you once called friends / And you'll find me waiting with a smile once a part of me / Will you miss me when I swear that I'm gone?” Meanwhile, “Easy to Say States Away” and “Two Days or A Lifetime of Failure” shine with glistening guitar hooks and solid rhythm provided by Steve Cohen behind the kit and Drew Conte on bass.

“Take the Fall” proves to be the album’s low point as it is all too predictable of a closer. Starting acoustic and ending in a built-up crescendo, it’s a song that has been done again and again but in this case isn’t executed well enough to stand out. This is an outlier on the album, though, as the preceding five songs are chock full of pop punk goodness.

You can add I Call Fives to whatever running list you’re keeping of bands to watch out for in the next year. After relentless touring across America, the band is heading out to the UK soon and presumably will have another release out in 2011. They are also another notable notch on the ever-impressive roster that Chris Hanson has built at No Sleep Records. If you haven’t heard this release yet, don’t miss out on it like we almost did; it is one that begs your attention.

Recommended If You LikeA Loss for Words, The Wonder Years, pop punk, stuff like that
Follow Me On TwitterI will unashamedly continue to plug my Twitter in my reviews until I die.
Bare Essentials1. Hand Me Down Luck
2. Elevator Music
3. Try Hard to Remember
4. Easy to Say States Away
5. Two Days or A Lifetime of Failure
6. Take the Fall
Produced By: Kory Gable, Run Time: 18 minutes or so
Star Rating: 3.5 out of 5 Stars
Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 40
11:34 AM on 11/04/10
Rysker6
I am not Tom Delonge
User Info.
Just found these guys awhile ago, not bad.
11:48 AM on 11/04/10
route36west1
User Info.
Love this band. They are so hardworking.
12:00 PM on 11/04/10
atrio
It's always on my troubled mind.
User Info.
Another good band from NJ! "Try Hard to Remember" is my favorite, due to AJ from TDS's small (but great) part in it. Really awesome ep.
12:03 PM on 11/04/10
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
"take the fall" is my favorite of the ep.
12:27 PM on 11/04/10
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
User Info.
They remind me of early-All Time Low...except I really like it. Great EP.
12:34 PM on 11/04/10
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
Love this EP so much
12:34 PM on 11/04/10
sxetravisx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
love this band
12:51 PM on 11/04/10
ACA
Next Show: Braid/GreatBigPileLeaves
User Info.
Good band.

They'll be in Brooklyn tonight.. $10. Go see them.
12:54 PM on 11/04/10
Nick Le
Yeezy taught me.
User Info.
I like this band and this EP.
01:04 PM on 11/04/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Another good band from NJ! "Try Hard to Remember" is my favorite, due to AJ from TDS's small (but great) part in it. Really awesome ep.
Forgot to mention, will edit later.
01:05 PM on 11/04/10
Avalanche1
Keep running, keep shining on
User Info.
Great band, great EP. I really need to see them live soon.
01:09 PM on 11/04/10
So-Crates
Registered Member
User Info.
love this band, cant wait to see them in a couple of weeks
01:10 PM on 11/04/10
brainstew123
User Info.
um... i dont remember... i guess ill listen to it again but i do remember the "i hope this song is the elevator music on your way to hell" or something
01:16 PM on 11/04/10
MJSchmidt
Hang 'em high or not at all
User Info.
Awesome EP from a hard working band. I also like the fact at least one of the members posts on this site quite frequently. I don't know I like to see that kind of effort.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums