AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

MTV News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Casey Is Bigger Than the Sound

Posted by - 08:01 AM on 11/28/07
In this week's article of Bigger Than the Sound, James Montgomery focuses on the untimely death of Hawthorne Heights' Casey Calvert and how his impact is more than we can understand.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 59
08:05 AM on 11/28/07
Everiggs
<--------Hot
User Info.
Interesting absolutepunk mention...
08:11 AM on 11/28/07
anyhizzy
haaaasss caught a bad rep
User Info.
"He was just another of those kids, the kind I see packed against the barrier at shows, the kind who can spot a fake a mile away, the kind who buy hoodies and talk sh-- about me on AbsolutePunk.net."

love it
08:11 AM on 11/28/07
hipvee43
User Info.
rip casey calvert does anyone know exactly how he died yet?
08:15 AM on 11/28/07
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
That is tough territory to tread on, so I admire James for taking it on. I also appreciated the fact that he didn't recycle the same cliches in talking about his feelings, even if it makes us a little uncomfortable. Because, as far as I am concerned, there is nothing comfortable about any of this.

Well done again, James.
08:17 AM on 11/28/07
brentkid
I am no king.
User Info.
This was really well done. I personally wouldn't know how to address this but he did it in good taste.
08:21 AM on 11/28/07
GiggsOho
Guns don't kill, Cedric & Omar do
User Info.
Between this and Sean Taylor (I'm a huge Redskins fan), I've just been in an awful mood all week. I try not to think about it, and even though I never knew/met them personally.... I think James said it best: "Life can be a real jerk sometimes."
08:22 AM on 11/28/07
jerseysbest
User Info.
I really enjoyed reading this, thanks.
08:33 AM on 11/28/07
Mike Kraft
It'll get you drunk!
User Info.
That is tough territory to tread on, so I admire James for taking it on. I also appreciated the fact that he didn't recycle the same cliches in talking about his feelings, even if it makes us a little uncomfortable. Because, as far as I am concerned, there is nothing comfortable about any of this.

Well done again, James.

I agree. It's a hard thing to tackle something like this.

I think his death has touched many people, even those that may not like their sound, because he was so young. He was not much of a drinker and had nothing to do with drugs, yet his life ended so soon. If you seriously think about it, that could have been anyone of us. It really makes me take a second look at my life and helps me realize where I am and where I want to be. Tackle today's problems today and don't worry about the next, for we don't know what tomorrow will bring.
08:35 AM on 11/28/07
doomcrs04
Train Rides Up North
User Info.
He hit the nail on the head. HH was my first show, my first band and casey was just like any of the kids you'd see at a show and you never want one of us to die.
08:39 AM on 11/28/07
Manbotisdead
speaking hot fire
User Info.
I really appreciate this column, it's always well thought out and poignant. This week is no exception.
08:41 AM on 11/28/07
CLARIFY THIS
--
User Info.

Well done again, James.

Agreed
08:41 AM on 11/28/07
nicolerork
nicolerork.com
User Info.
I enjoyed that article. Good job, James.
08:45 AM on 11/28/07
CLARIFY THIS
--
User Info.
A young kid died on the road while following his dreams

Nice way of putting it
08:46 AM on 11/28/07
birdman
Don't hold your breath
User Info.
This guy is actually a damn fine writer, especially for MTV.

While I never really like HH, this death sort of made me think about bands from that genre who talk about death and dying so "freely". Bands like From First to Last, The Used, AFI, and Alkaline Trio talk about death in a theatrical sense and use it as an image arbitrator. Now that one among the ranks has actually died, I wonder how this will change the way they feel about how they talk about death.

I do love me some Alkaline Trio though.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version