AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
We Are the Ocean - Cutting Our Teeth Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 5
Lyrics 5
Production 7
Creativity 4
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7.25
Final Verdict: 61%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.58
Musicianship 6.42
Lyrics 6.25
Production 6.42
Creativity 6.25
Lasting Value 6.42
Reviewer Tilt 6.42
Average: 64%
Inside AP.net

We Are the Ocean - Cutting Our Teeth

Reviewed by: TestwoodRapier (09/20/10)
We Are the Ocean - Cutting Our Teeth
Record Label: Hassle Records
Release Date: February 1, 2010

I was first introduced to We are the Ocean when they supported the Thrice UK tour. I was won over by their larger-than-life performance and immediately dubbed them 'The British Alexisonfire'. The vocals were excellent, the songs energetic and contagious and the personalities of the band members really came across on stage. The 'British Alexisonfire' tag gives you an indication of the style of music on offer: quick paced post-hardcore with screamed verses and cleanly sung choruses. All of the ingredients are present and correct and at times this really works.

Unfortunately though, We are the Ocean suffer the same issue that others before them have fallen prey to: the energy in their live performance doesn't translate onto record. Two of the highlights from the live show were the screamed vocals and the uplifting songs, which helped catch my attention. Live, the screamed vocals were passionate and intense, however on record they become monotonous and predictable, which does little to prevent the songs bleeding together as one. The uplifting songs loose their elevation and end up sounding flat, which is exacerbated by the predictable songwriting pattern that stays pretty much constant throughout the ten tracks.

With that said, there are strong points on this album that really deserve praise. The band's greatest asset by far is vocalist/guitarist Liam who provides the clean vocals. His voice is reminiscent of Dallas Green from Alexisonfire, both in terms of tone and flawless live execution. Each song on the album contains a very strong chorus, punctuated by Liam's excellent vocal delivery, which provides several memorable moments on the album.

There may be elements that hold the album back, but it's fair to say there are no bad songs on offer. Each song provides sufficient enjoyable moments to keep me interested throughout the album.
Yes, the songwriting formula has been heard several times before, and the music may be lacking in originality, but there is clear potential here for something very special if only the band could harness the obvious talent that they have and remove the 'Alexisonfire' copy cat moniker.

I do feel harsh criticizing a band for being unoriginal as it feels like an unfair demand to expect innovation from such a young band who are just trying to create some music. I accept that notion and to a degree I welcome it, but the genre is already waterlogged with bands producing this kind of music from concentrate; it's going to take a band with the ability to create the next flavor that will achieve longevity in my album collection.

Despite these misgivings, it is very positive to see UK talent emerging and this debut album provides plenty of reasons to be positive for the band's future. With a more varied song-writing approach and some thought behind harnessing the energy of their stage show, the follow up release could be an excellent one. I would recommend catching them on tour, as they do really come alive on stage, but sadly on this record they just don't do enough to distinguish themselves from the hundreds of other bands playing this style of music.

Recommended If You LikeAlexisonfire, Deaf Havana, screamed verses and clean choruses

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
04:03 PM on 09/26/10
SomedayTheFire
when I die there'll be no trumpets
User Info.
This album is horrendous.
04:48 PM on 09/26/10
eriatarka24
User Info.
I don't know why I was linked to this when the percentage is low. I enjoyed it. It's not great but it's not "horrendous" either. I personally feel their self-titled EP was better and from the new songs they've recently released, I'm not happy about their direction. The screaming is actually being toned down and the song structure is just, well, generic.

So, I do like this band, and some of the songs on this album and I love the EP, but I don't like where they're going.
05:26 PM on 09/26/10
tottivillarossi
these pretzels are makin me thirsty
User Info.
This album is horrendous [2].
05:27 PM on 09/26/10
SomedayTheFire
when I die there'll be no trumpets
User Info.
I don't know why I was linked to this when the percentage is low. I enjoyed it. It's not great but it's not "horrendous" either. I personally feel their self-titled EP was better and from the new songs they've recently released, I'm not happy about their direction. The screaming is actually being toned down and the song structure is just, well, generic.

So, I do like this band, and some of the songs on this album and I love the EP, but I don't like where they're going.
Ep is good, but the singing on this just isn't good, the screaming is ok/passable but very samey. I can't make it through 3 or 4 songs.
07:15 PM on 09/26/10
0s0
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The singer's voice doesn't fit the band. He's not a bad singer (he's actually pretty good), but he sounds super out of place.
08:56 PM on 09/26/10
Mr. November
I won't fuck us over.
User Info.
The album is decent but they kind of sound like a wanna be Alexisonfire
10:20 PM on 09/26/10
NateFoundGlory
Why do you stay till you see blood?
User Info.
I love the clean vocalist, but the screamer annoys the piss out of me. And their lyrics are cringe-worthy. Pretty accurate review, I'd say they need time to harness their potential. Songs like "Look Alive" and "These Days I Have Nothing" are proof that they're better than half of the cookie cutter songs on this cd.
02:48 AM on 09/27/10
3wotkris
Legen...wait for it....dary
User Info.
I love the clean vocalist, but the screamer annoys the piss out of me. And their lyrics are cringe-worthy.

THIS THIS THIS

They only ever had one good song anyway.
09:38 AM on 09/27/10
Mario57
We can gallop upon the sea...
User Info.

Yeah, like Deaf Havana on their full-lenght before they lose their screamer, i thought the EP was better.
01:29 PM on 09/27/10
Hidden In NJ
Cilvia Demo
User Info.
Referring back to the Alexisonfire reference...Is this another band's (AOF) Crisis?
04:49 AM on 12/21/10
slowmotion90
User Info.
They don't distinguish themselves from the others? Are you serious?
03:36 AM on 01/30/11
SlumanTheLegend
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Cannot believe the ratings for this album - i think this album is brilliant. they are brilliant live too.
and their new single, What If Feels Like is awesome.

They might not be re-inventing the wheel, BUT inho besides Alexisonfire they are the best at this genre.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums