AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Mury - The Tarot Card Prophecy Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8.25
Production 7.75
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 10
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 10
Production 10
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 100%
Inside AP.net

Mury - The Tarot Card Prophecy

Reviewed by: Nathan Lint (09/06/07)
Mury - The Tarot Card Prophecy
Release Date: August 2007
Label: Unsigned

Of all the records I have reviewed in my tenure here at Absolutepunk, there has never been one as blunt and straight up as The Tarot Card Prophecy. Unlike many of the bands of today, they don't completely hide behind a world of sexual innuendos, I can see them being more like the guys that take what they want. When a band does the aforementioned, it gets old fast and while it might be a hit with the kids nowadays, it's always fun to have your pop versions of songs like "Crazy Bitch". By this time, my guess is that I have lost you. Well let me explain.

Mury is a short but sweet name for a band like this. They're not really trying to impress anyone with a cliche name like many of the pop rock bands out there nowadays. Their debut record, The Tarot Card Prophecy, is just as unique as their name. It opens with "Welcome To The Family" where they make sure to know that "it's all about us", it's a great opener for a band like this because it starts off quiet and then they break into full band. The next track, "I Got References" is a literal cross between Jimmy Eat World and any of the sexy songs of our time that girls like to grind up all on your stuff to. It's a fun combination. Another strong track on the EP and my favorite track on the record, "Backflips and Ninja Tricks", which really draws me in with Chris Alder's awkward but fitting vocals. Probably my favorite line of this song is "I'm gonna to eat you alive if you don't explain exactly what you see in me". It's just another fun pop song with a somewhat blatant sexual innuendo. Which is fun in these cases. The final track on the EP, "3/13" is just a short taste of what we can expect in the future. It's a ballad that really shows that this band could go somewhere if they choose to.

The Tarot Card Prophecy, I believe is a record that many cross over fans would enjoy. It's got the catchy and somewhat random pop sound that Gatsby's American Dream has, the fun pop style of Jimmy Eat World, some of the pop instrumentals of The Format, but don't treat this as if it's something that's only meant for something out of the 90's or for teenage girls. This is accessible for everyone. I'll be surprised if this band isn't signed in the next two years. Record labels take notice.

Recommended If You LikeGatsby's American Dream, Jimmy Eat World, The Format, The Consequence

Additional InformationTrack Listing
1. Welcome To The Family
2. I Got References
3. The B-Side To The Truth
4. Backflips and Ninja Tricks
5. From The Bottom Of My Heart
6. 3/13

Myspace ; Order the album (available soon on Smartpunk)

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7.
04:44 PM on 09/06/07
stickfigures
User Info.
I love Mury they are so great! One of my favorite local bands!
04:52 PM on 09/06/07
burnsobright
Registered Member
User Info.
Oh swt band, wonder where you heard of them.
08:32 PM on 09/06/07
p, FRY
User Info.
sound ok, but definitely nothing like Gatsbys.
09:43 PM on 09/06/07
Nathan Lint
That's the real joke
User Info.
sound ok, but definitely nothing like Gatsbys.

you look nothing like fry
10:21 AM on 09/14/07
parothead310
User Info.
Thank you for reviewing Mury. I'll have to get a copy of the CD now.
05:13 PM on 01/19/08
Music Moves
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I have had Mury's EP for a couple of months now. It Rocks. I never get sick of listening to it. A definite must buy EP. I went to their concert and heard their new songs and can't wait tell they record them. This band is now one of my new favorites.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums