Username
Password
A Wilhelm Scream News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
A Wilhelm Scream
Inside AP.net

A Wilhelm Interview

Posted by: PeeDster (02/08/11)
A recent interview with A Wilhelm Scream can be read here.

Submitted by MattFerraro

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
06:24 AM on 02/08/11
tobuildabridge
Nope. Wrong.
User Info.
this record is towards the top of my most anticipated list. honestly cannot wait to see what these guys come out with next.
07:01 AM on 02/08/11
shutmedown
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good interview. Awesome band. Good shout to Heartsounds too
10:18 AM on 02/08/11
Wutz
Don't Worry, I'm A Pilot
User Info.
Listening to the self-titled EP at this second.

Each time I listen to them, I am amazed by the amount of shred they have in their songs without making the parts sound too much like "look at my guitar/drum/bass solos!" Somehow their ridiculous instrumental embellishments don't damage the songs (like most "solos" do) but aid in the delivery of each song.

In much of what you hear that has a instrumental segments and/or flourishes, the overall song is damaged by the instrumental breaks. I never find myself feeling that way with AWS stuff.

For example: I really love Jimmy Eat World; I could do without the second half of the "Coffee and Cigaretts" solo (of course the chord progression wouldn't wrap up into the chorus as nicely if it was just omitted, you'd have to rewrite the progression). Try to imagine "The King is Dead" without the instrumental section leading in to the "To wade through" part...I don't like the song as much and the song's overall feel is damaged.

...just a rumination on A Wilhelm Scream, I guess.

Moral of the story: I'm excited for their next release and I'm constantly amazed at how good the songs are even with the potential pitfalls they narrowly avoid.

Over.
10:20 AM on 02/08/11
MattFerraro
Candy Hearts
User Info.
I love everything about this comment

Listening to the self-titled EP at this second.

Each time I listen to them, I am amazed by the amount of shred they have in their songs without making the parts sound too much like "look at my guitar/drum/bass solos!" Somehow their ridiculous instrumental embellishments don't damage the songs (like most "solos" do) but aid in the delivery of each song.

In much of what you hear that has a instrumental segments and/or flourishes, the overall song is damaged by the instrumental breaks. I never find myself feeling that way with AWS stuff.

For example: I really love Jimmy Eat World; I could do without the second half of the "Coffee and Cigaretts" solo (of course the chord progression wouldn't wrap up into the chorus as nicely if it was just omitted, you'd have to rewrite the progression). Try to imagine "The King is Dead" without the instrumental section leading in to the "To wade through" part...I don't like the song as much and the song's overall feel is damaged.

...just a rumination on A Wilhelm Scream, I guess.

Moral of the story: I'm excited for their next release and I'm constantly amazed at how good the songs are even with the potential pitfalls they narrowly avoid.

Over.
12:26 PM on 02/08/11
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
Interesting read. I'm curious as to what labels have been courting them. And it's great to see Nick giving the Stereo State some love!
01:06 PM on 02/08/11
s2h72
User Info.
so i guess aws are done with paper + plastick?
01:48 PM on 02/08/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Good to know that they're coming out with a new album, and I'll check out some of those recs for new music. Some of those bands I've never heard of like Judo Heirs.
02:44 PM on 02/08/11
PlanetDahmz
User Info.
Can easily see this being AOTY. This band cannot write a bad song. The talent they have is so much higher than 99% of bands out there, with Trevor/Mike/Supina.

PS - The "Get Mad" live video on that link is a sick performance.
05:55 PM on 02/08/11
CBKRP
Registered Member
User Info.
Good interview. Awesome band. Good shout to Heartsounds too
Agreed, agreed, agreed. I can't believe how long I slept on Heartsounds, that record just gets better with every listen. You can really hear the passion the two of them have for the genre...
09:02 AM on 02/09/11
shutmedown
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Agreed, agreed, agreed. I can't believe how long I slept on Heartsounds, that record just gets better with every listen. You can really hear the passion the two of them have for the genre...

Yes to all that then you throw in their drummer who is easily one of the most underrated drummers out there and u have a band that really should be bigger than they are right now. Can't wait for their new release.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums