Password

Album Review

Joshua - Choices Album Cover

Joshua - Choices

Reviewed by
Joshua - Choices
Record Label: To Be Announced
Release Date: April 2011
You’ve got to hand it to Joshua for making a comeback at a time like this. Aside from the fact that the music industry has been laid to waste; that a new record for lowest selling number 1 album is set every other week; that Geoff Rickly (yeah, that guy from the wildly celebrated Thursday) barely scrapes together 10k a year in income these days – aside from all that, you have to keep this in mind: Joshua’s slick indie sound isn’t even the most popular form of emo anymore. Hell, does anyone even remember what emo is? Given the context, it’s a jeopardous time for a band to reunite and put out a record like Choices.

But I mean “jeopardous” in the most reverent sense of the word, because clearly, Joshua could care less about whether or not they’re anachronistic. Just the fact that they’re releasing Choices in this day and age shows that in the end, they’re just concerned about making music. And that’s nothing but respectable – even more so when that music is good. Choices picks up right where the band left off almost a decade ago, weaving gliding melodies and excitingly dissonant guitars together to produce 9 tracks of inspiring emo revival. It’s poetic, emotional and self-conscious. “I’ve been… waking up to the fact that we got old,” sighs “We Got Old.” “We’re shopping for a dream but they’ve all been sold.”

It’s also the type of album that can win over newcomers to this genre. I’m prime evidence; despite never being able to fully appreciate Joshua’s peers in Brandtson and Texas is the Reason, Choices reeled me in and then infiltrated my mind. I’ll blame it on the songwriting – there’s something so seamless and expert about rockers like “Temporary Flight Restrictions” and “The Defeatist” that allows them to be infectious in spite of their obtuse riffs. Same goes for “Oh My Dear,” where bewitching “ooh-ooh’s” make its math-y rhythm downright irresistible. “More For Giving” is a pleasant surprise, dropping the dissonance in favor of a heady The Get Up Kids-meets-Saves the Day vibe. Its message, of course, is much more bitter than it is sweet: “That’s why you see, I can’t forgive you. You doused my world in gasoline.”

It was a big deal when Braid reformed a few weeks ago, but I think you can make a good case that Joshua’s return was equally as important. In fact, the reemergence of each probably saves the other from becoming true anachronisms. But here’s another interpretation: Maybe emo will be 2011’s comeback kid. If that happens, Choices will be a flagship for the movement, but if not, Choices’ significance still stands. After all, it’s accessible enough to stock up on all kinds of fans regardless of genre boundaries, and convincing enough to keep them absorbed. “Stand with me tonight, we’ll withstand tomorrow,” pleads album closer “The News,” and as someone who’s felt the impact of Choices, I heed its call without any second-guessing.

Recommended If You LikeBrandtson, The Get Up Kids, Texas is the Reason
Track list1. Goodbye Grey Afternoon
2. We Got Old
3. Temporary Flight Restrictions
4. The Defeatist
5. Jet Black
6. Mean What You Say
7. Oh My Dear
8. More For Giving
9. The News

Find Joshua on their website.
This review is a user submitted review from Matthew Tsai. You can see all of Matthew Tsai's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
06:09 AM on 02/20/11
bgeez120
User Info.
Such a great band, I highly recommend everyone to listen to them!
12:57 AM on 02/21/11
onautolux
CC
User Info.
Support!
01:22 PM on 02/21/11
lightcollapse
on the edge of summer
User Info.
Emo is not going to be 2011's comeback kid.
04:04 PM on 02/21/11
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
I think it's already seen a resurgence if we're talking about emo in the early 2000's sense of the word. Joshua, Braid, a bunch of Run For Cover bands like Daytrader and Stay Ahead of the Weather. The Get Up Kids came out with a new album, even though it doesn't sound much like their old stuff. Further Seems Forever are playing some shows. Maybe it won't be the comeback trend but it definitely has the chance to be on people's iPods again.
04:18 PM on 02/21/11
josh8282
I feel so L.M.N.O.P.
User Info.
Oh My Dear is my favourite track, very addictive.
08:19 PM on 02/21/11
SourStuff
Five Body Blade Vocalist
User Info.
Oh I hope you're wrong.

Joshua is classic. It's amazing to experience this.
08:30 PM on 02/21/11
lightcollapse
on the edge of summer
User Info.
I think it's already seen a resurgence if we're talking about emo in the early 2000's sense of the word. Joshua, Braid, a bunch of Run For Cover bands like Daytrader and Stay Ahead of the Weather. The Get Up Kids came out with a new album, even though it doesn't sound much like their old stuff. Further Seems Forever are playing some shows. Maybe it won't be the comeback trend but it definitely has the chance to be on people's iPods again.
I see that more as the last breath of a dying movement.
08:39 PM on 02/21/11
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
I see that more as the last breath of a dying movement.
Fair enough haha. I just think a lot of it's a resurgence since a lot of these bands, ie. Daytrader, are just getting started and seem to be getting bigger every day.
06:09 AM on 02/22/11
sunroomaudio
Joshua / Dan
User Info.
Hey guys, this is Dan from Joshua. Thanks so much for all your great comments and support! It means the world to the band, really. I'd also like to say that we really feel as a band that the record we've made reaches beyond what is traditionally considered "emo" and at the core, is basically just melodic aggressive rock music. We really hope that there is something for everyone here, and truly believe that there is.

Thank you all you guys once again for your amazing support!
08:25 PM on 03/04/11
Karnage
User Info.
Oh My Dear is my favourite track, very addictive.
Good track ! Good Review!
05:04 AM on 06/12/11
nihac!
User Info.
"Choices" by Joshua will be out on Arctic Rodeo Recordings June 24th. Pre-order is up.
http://www.arcticrodeorecordings.com
http://www.facebook.com/arcticrodeorecordings
05:56 AM on 05/09/13
PetitnaindesÎles
Kaneki-kun, BON APPÉTIT
User Info.
Criminally underrated band, one of my favorite 2011 albums.
01:03 AM on 05/16/13
nihac!
User Info.
The album is now available for 8 Euros at the Arctic Rodeo web store.
US folks can also purchase the record at Interpunk.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos