Username
Password
RIAA News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
RIAA
Inside AP.net

Battle Raging for Songwriting Royalties

Posted by: Julia Conny (02/06/08)
The RIAA and the DiMA (Digital Music Association) are arguing that royalties from digital downloads and streaming music for songwriters should be lowered. Not exactly sure what royalties are? Read a good write-up here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 29.
08:39 PM on 02/06/08
Prestonxsmith
BELLYRAMA
User Info.
That is a stupid idea.
08:48 PM on 02/06/08
lackofcolour 13
I broke the dam...
User Info.
So they aren't even trying to pretend that they care about the artist anymore.
08:56 PM on 02/06/08
originsofsound
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Fuck the RIAA so hard. The relatively generous royalties that bands get from digital music sales helps keep some bands on smaller labels and unsigned bands heads above water. This is a terrible idea.
09:02 PM on 02/06/08
markwarren
User Info.
That's absolutely fucking ridiculous. Yeah it sucks that labels and the industry is in such a bad shape right now, but for them to take away money from the artists like that? Digital downloads is soley based of the music that is created by a) the artist, and b) the producer recording it for them. Thats all an mp3 is comprised of. Especially with small label bands and unsigned bands they fund the money for them to record it themselves! That makes me so angry. Royalty rates for physical copies of cd's are so low now because of terrible cd sales, and with all the money distro and labels take there's no money left for the bands. The fact that royalty rate on digital digital downloads are a lot higher than physical cd's really help a lot of bands out.
09:05 PM on 02/06/08
Jess6man2000
thread killer
User Info.
wow even lower! thanks RIAA
09:33 PM on 02/06/08
SoCoSquid4
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
horrible idea.

artists should get MORE royalties for digital downloads. however, with the decrease in legal music purchases over the last few years, i dont really fault the labels for doing what they can to keep their heads afloat...this isnt the way to go about doing it though.
09:33 PM on 02/06/08
punklet2101
only you exist
User Info.
That's complete bull.
09:40 PM on 02/06/08
ShallowDepths
ShallowDepths
User Info.
Digital Media Strike!!!
09:46 PM on 02/06/08
craigboliver
I Am Shark
User Info.
thats just fucked up, really its sick.
09:54 PM on 02/06/08
Cottage Cheese
User Info.
This is a great idea. You guys are fools. We live in a free enterprise. The major labels exist in order to make a profit. The artist is simply a tool to create revenue. Fuck them. If they can't make a label money through album, merch, ticket sales, then they don't deserve to be signed. My brother, who recently lost his job and now homeless, used to be a public relations rep, but because of the decline of CD sales, he was laid off. It was because of all you illegal downloaders. I wonder if you sleep well at night. You scumbags.
10:09 PM on 02/06/08
genericmadness
Registered Loser
User Info.
This is a great idea. You guys are fools. We live in a free enterprise. The major labels exist in order to make a profit. The artist is simply a tool to create revenue. Fuck them. If they can't make a label money through album, merch, ticket sales, then they don't deserve to be signed. My brother, who recently lost his job and now homeless, used to be a public relations rep, but because of the decline of CD sales, he was laid off. It was because of all you illegal downloaders. I wonder if you sleep well at night. You scumbags.

lol
10:20 PM on 02/06/08
Cottage Cheese
User Info.

laughing my ass off; rolling on the floor laughing... you fucking domtar
10:21 PM on 02/06/08
snowtires
henry slinkman
User Info.
well i hope they're lowering the amounts they're claiming in their current lawsuits
10:22 PM on 02/06/08
snowtires
henry slinkman
User Info.
how does this work for someone who goes to itunes through tunecore and not a label? who is the riaa to say that these people don't deserve that money?
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS